Author Topic: Silver: we want to skip the vaccine line to educate the public  (Read 3781 times)

Re: Silver: we want to skip the vaccine line to educate the public
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2021, 06:32:23 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
The NBA very publicly declared their players would not jump the line to get the vaccine. This was pretty obviously the proper stance to take, given the players and league promoting that solving the wealth inequality issues that lead to problems in social justice is extremely important.

But Covid starts spreading through the league like wildfire, games are being called off, practice facilities shuttered and suddenly the NBA decides it's a good idea for the players to jump the line to get the vaccine in order to promote the need for the African American community get vaccinated.

What a load of crap!

The NBA wants their players to jump that vaccination line to assure a proper season and season outcome, and so, minimize the amount of massive financial loss that the league is going to incur this season. I find their publicly declared motivation to change this stance to be completely and utterly false and extremely insulting to the intelligence of their fans.

Agree entirely.

Young millionaires jumping the line to play a game would be about as bad a look as there is.

A small minority of players clearly engaged in conduct that put themselves and teammates in danger and now the league hopes to be rewarded for irresponsible behavior because it eats into owners' incomes.

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2021, 06:33:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
THEY DO NOT WANT TO JUMP THE LINE.  READ THE ARTICLE.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2021, 07:24:21 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
THEY DO NOT WANT TO JUMP THE LINE.  READ THE ARTICLE.

Since I'm 71 and this issue is very important to me, I did read the article.

The thought of 20 years old players moving ahead of the elderly or essential workers because of the approval of health officials is totally repugnant. There is no proof that vaccinating athletes will result in greater vaccination participation by young adults. Even if there were proof, young adults are at a very low risk of dying from Covid compared to the elderly.

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2021, 07:27:33 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
By the League throwing this out there, they are absolutely trying to cut the line. NBA is a business and they do not want any of their players to die from this and they also do not want any further impact to their bottom line. There are plenty of over 65 year old former athletes that can speak to the community on benefits of this vaccine.

I am calling BS when I see it. Do I really want a 22 year old to get this before my wife or family members.

Silver knew  what he was doing throwing this out there. We are only going to do with it orders from the Health officials- BS....You are trying to protect your business and save your players lives before people over 50 get this. Yes, you are trying to cut the line under disguise of being a saint and this is disgusting.

The greed of the NBA on display.

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2021, 07:30:28 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
By the League throwing this out there, they are absolutely trying to cut the line. NBA is a business and they do not want any of their players to die from this and they also do not want any further impact to their bottom line. There are plenty of over 65 year old former athletes that can speak to the community on benefits of this vaccine.

I am calling BS when I see it. Do I really want a 22 year old to get this before my wife or family members.

Silver knew  what he was doing throwing this out there. We are only going to do with it orders from the Health officials- BS....You are trying to protect your business and save your players lives before people over 50 get this. Yes, you are cutting the line and this is disgusting.

Agreed. If they were not trying to cut the line, this would not be a story. The whole argument is basically Silver justifying why they would cut the line after he says we don't want to cut the line, BUT.

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2021, 07:34:31 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941

Silver knew  what he was doing throwing this out there. We are only going to do with it orders from the Health officials- BS....You are trying to protect your business and save your players lives before people over 50 get this. Yes, you are cutting the line and this is disgusting.

Agreed. If they were not trying to cut the line, this would not be a story. The whole argument is basically Silver justifying why they would cut the line after he says we don't want to cut the line, BUT.

Exactly! The thought of this happening turns my stomach.

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2021, 08:04:50 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I don't have a problem with the NBA skipping the line. Look, the thing is there isn't really a vaccine shortage right now. There's a shortage of ability to distribute the vaccine we already have. States an localities cant get it in arms fast enough which means in a lot of cases its just sitting on shelves, in some cases extra doses are even getting thrown away.

I don't see why the NBA shouldn't be able to use its own resources to vaccinate its players, coaches ect. The 1500 doses it would take to do that literally would never be missed.  Is it a bad look? Yes. But if anything its SHOULD be a bad look for the government who has thus far bungled the vaccine rollout.

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2021, 08:08:06 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I don't have a problem with the NBA skipping the line. Look, the thing is there isn't really a vaccine shortage right now. There's a shortage of ability to distribute the vaccine we already have. States an localities cant get it in arms fast enough which means in a lot of cases its just sitting on shelves, in some cases extra doses are even getting thrown away.

I don't see why the NBA shouldn't be able to use its own resources to vaccinate its players, coaches ect. The 1500 doses it would take to do that literally would never be missed.  Is it a bad look? Yes. But if anything its SHOULD be a bad look for the government who has thus far bungled the vaccine rollout.

There is both a shortage of vaccine and a delay in administering it. There's a pretty large shortage of vaccine and governments , state, federal and international, are fighting over it. Giving it to young men in prime health who are not front line workers over front line workers and high risk groups is absurd.

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2021, 10:09:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
This is basically the exact same thing Silver said in December.  It is clear that health officials may be driving this as they see so many people decline the vaccine.  It is something like 40% of EMT's haven't taken it despite being offered.  It is worse among certain groups as well, which is why having professional athletes do it, actually makes sense on some level.  If the healthiest of people take it, then others may be more inclined to do so as well.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30573657/nba-commissioner-adam-silver-says-league-jump-line-get-vaccines

"We will very likely be part of some public service campaigns, we already talked to the CDC and other federal agencies about that, encouraging people to get vaccinated when it is appropriate. But up until then, we will just be watching and waiting."

"But, again, as time goes on, I think more people will recognize the importance of getting vaccinated and, again, not just for themselves, this is a conversation we've already begun with some members of the NBA community. But for young, healthy people, while it's still an incredibly serious disease, they tend to do better than older people, or people with underlying conditions. So, for our players, the reason to get vaccinated may not be to protect themselves. It may be to protect their parents, their grandparents and other members of the community."

If people aren't actually recognizing the importance then perhaps they need these guys to show them it is important.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip