Author Topic: The Struggles of Saric  (Read 6071 times)

The Struggles of Saric
« on: November 30, 2016, 01:28:33 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
It was always known that shooting, defense, and athleticism were his shortcomings, but you have to wonder if he's having second thoughts about coming over to the Sixers this season. He lost his starting job to a journeyman who's on his 5th team in 2 years (Ilyasova). And now he's having a historically bad shooting season. On the season he's shooting 35.5% from the field and 69% from the line, but that's a marksman compared to the 26% FG and 50% FT he's put up over the last 5 games.

I feel bad for the kid. He plays the right way and does plays hard, but he does lack talent and unluckily landed in NBA's cesspool.

Re: The Struggles of Saric
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 01:31:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Lol.  Sounds like someone is projecting.  I'm not that worried about Jaylen despite his last 5 games averaging 1 point, 1 rebound with 22% shooting.  It's early.  He was always thought of as a project. It's not his fault he's like 10 spots below saric on the rookie ladder.  Calm down.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 01:33:17 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Well played sir...well played indeed.   8)

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 01:34:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Well played sir...well played indeed.   8)
thanks

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 01:39:36 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd give him a few years to adjust before writing him off.

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 01:39:39 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
too soon, too early, be patient, wait, learn more, give him a chance....ha. how many times do i type these words on this board?  ;D

brown, see above, rinse, repeat.

i think saric will be a good nba player, not a star, but a good player. on philly, his role will be to be a sort of "glue" guy who does a range of different things to help others. a bit akin to olly for the celtics.

let's check back after another year and see how saric is doing.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 01:45:06 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 01:49:00 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
too soon, too early, be patient, wait, learn more, give him a chance....ha. how many times do i type these words on this board?  ;D

i think saric will be a good nba player, not a star, but a good player. on philly, his role will be to be a sort of "glue" guy who does a range of different things to help others. a bit akin to olly for the celtics.

Yup.  Saric is 2nd on the rookie ladder still:  http://www.nba.com/article/2016/11/30/rookie-ladder-week-5-2016-17-memphis-grizzlies-point-guard-depth ... 2nd out of all rookies in EFF behind Embiid.   Still shooting 38% from three.  Still leading all rookies in minutes.   While highly touted prospects like Jaylen Brown and Buddy Hield see their minutes decline under 5 per game, Dario continues to play solid minutes for Philly after exceeding expectations early and getting unexpected starts (which he and Embiid lead all rookies in). 

If you're familiar at all with OP, you'd know that he's obsessed with Philly.  This is clearly a reactionary post to the fact that Jaylen Brown has averaged 1 point, 1 assist on 22% shooting over his last 5 games, has slipped to 20th out of all rookies in EFF, and has completely fallen off the NBA rookie ladder:  http://www.nba.com/article/2016/11/30/rookie-ladder-week-5-2016-17-memphis-grizzlies-point-guard-depth

Someone's clearly angry that our #3 pick is doing nothing... so they are dumping on Philly's #12 pick that is hands down outplaying him right now by a wide margin.  The choice to dump on the 2nd best rookie on the ladder isn't random.  It's based on jealousy and envy of Philly potentially having the 3 best rookies of this entire season (assuming Simmons comes back before the trade deadline) while our own team has a #3 pick on the verge of potentially spending time in the D-League or being lumped in with several other assets to acquire a star.

My advice is to have patience with Jaylen.  It's going to take him time.  If we don't lump him in with several other assets to trade for a guy like Cousins, I think 5 years from now Jaylen could be better than Jimmy Butler.   Wait it out and stop panicking.   

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 01:54:37 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Why does a thread about any young player on another team always turn into a thread on Smart or Brown?  It's so annoying.

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 01:56:43 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

What hurts him is that he's an old rookie (turning 23 by the end of the year). So his upside is definitely limited. Plus, he's very polished, which is a result of his international experience. So it doesn't appear as though he's going to make many strides skill-wise.

If Saric were able to shoot then I could see him being effective as a stretch 4. However, unlike Olynyk, shooting has always been a struggle. During the Olympics this summer he shot 43% FG, 26.3% 3PT, and 59.3% FT, so there is a lot of statistical evidence to show he's an awful shooter.

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 01:57:47 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
It's not his fault he's like 10 spots below saric on the rookie ladder.

Nor is it his fault that Jaylen is playing for a team that hopes to win 50 games this season, while Saric is on a squad that will be thrilled to win 20.

And as for rookie rankings, this one had Brandon Jennings rated above Stephen Curry.  http://insider.espn.com/nba/players/rookies/rankings/_/year/2010

So, there's that.

Mike

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 02:00:47 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Why does a thread about any young player on another team always turn into a thread on Smart or Brown?  It's so annoying.

Your answer: LB.

He is desperate to get attention from other guys on a sports blog. He knows what buttons to push, and he continues to push the same buttons. Original? No. Annoying? Yes. Funny? Definitely to him, and maybe yes to others.

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 02:00:58 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
When you're coming off the bench because you have a Crowder, Isaiah, and/or Bradley in front of you that's one thing. However, when you're coming off the bench because you aren't better than Ilyasova that's quite another. The guy is a quintessential journeyman and Saric can't beat him out.

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 02:01:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

What hurts him is that he's an old rookie (turning 23 by the end of the year). So his upside is definitely limited. Plus, he's very polished, which is a result of his international experience. So it doesn't appear as though he's going to make many strides skill-wise.

If Saric were able to shoot then I could see him being effective as a stretch 4. However, unlike Olynyk, shooting has always been a struggle. During the Olympics this summer he shot 43% FG, 26.3% 3PT, and 59.3% FT, so there is a lot of statistical evidence to show he's an awful shooter.
you mean aside from the 38% on over 3 attempts a game thus far this year?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 02:04:27 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79

I don't get the rush to judgement either. Saric will probably end up being a nice player.