Author Topic: A knee injury ends Mutombo's career  (Read 6073 times)

Re: A knee injury ends Mutombo's career
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 11:03:13 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
So, are you saying both you and Ainge predicted Mutombo's knee injury? :D Amazing, my compliments.

Seriously though - I was amazed at the amount of people whining in the game thread during game 1 about how Ainge messed up passing on Mutumbo.  Typical CB overreactionaryism,  That's all I'm saying.

How could you not, at his age he probably has osteoperosis
God bless and good night!

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 11:05:02 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
So, are you saying both you and Ainge predicted Mutombo's knee injury? :D Amazing, my compliments.

Seriously though - I was amazed at the amount of people whining in the game thread during game 1 about how Ainge messed up passing on Mutumbo.  Typical CB overreactionaryism,  That's all I'm saying.

I was of the opinion that Ainge should have signed Mutombo way before the game 1 - in fact, since the moment he passed on him.

People who said that Mutombo wasn't good enough any more and was finished were obviously wrong, as he was proving till his injury.

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 11:17:34 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Deke is a great guy, so I don't want to see him in pain.

Still, what do you expect? If you refuse to retire, eventually, you are forced to retire. Keep tempting fate and that is what happens.

I'm not criticizing his decision to keep playing. So long as he enjoyed playing, he made the right move.

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 12:16:52 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Never good to see anyone get injured, but I just can't possibly fathom that 50 yr old Decrepit Mutumbno got hurt!  Unbelievable...

Where are the Monday morning QBs who think Ainge passing up Decrepit for Less is Moore was a bad move now?  Guess what, it's Wednesday.

Yeh, knee injuries never happen to younger guys.

And yes, young guys do have knee injuries (Powe, Rondo...)  What's your point?

My point was a sarcastic one...The guy landed funny, and the fact that he's "decrepit" had little to do with it.  Injuries happen.
Yup

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 09:03:48 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Yeah, if you want to talk logic, you can't assume that his age was the cause of his injury.  We have plenty of great examples of young players who are getting serious injuries.  Could have happened to Deke whether he was 20 or 50.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 09:19:41 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Yeah, if you want to talk logic, you can't assume that his age was the cause of his injury.  We have plenty of great examples of young players who are getting serious injuries.  Could have happened to Deke whether he was 20 or 50.
That is true.

But if you refuse to retire, you eventually will eventually get injured. That's what happens to knees in the NBA.

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 10:00:19 PM »

Offline butterbeanlove

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 191

I was of the opinion that Ainge should have signed Mutombo way before the game 1 - in fact, since the moment he passed on him.

People who said that Mutombo wasn't good enough any more and was finished were obviously wrong, as he was proving till his injury.

I had forgotten about him until I heard about his 11-board game or whatever it was earlier this week. And was thinking, this was the guy we should have targeted from the get-go. But this is the risk you take with 42-year-olds, which maybe was Danny's thinking.