Author Topic: Grande: Celtics Sacrificing Minutes, Shots a Legitimate Issue  (Read 4668 times)

Re: Grande: Celtics Sacrificing Minutes, Shots a Legitimate Issue
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2018, 10:58:01 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It should also be noted that we are still over the luxury tax and it would be pretty easy to duck under that number and still sign a vet minimum player by offloading Morris. I realize we have until the trade deadline (for practical purposes), but it might come sooner rather than later if there is any problem in the locker room.

In the end, I don't see any way we stay over the tax this season. Whether that means Morris or Yabusele is traded, or some combination of other players, it just doesn't make much sense with the [likely] big contracts we have coming up.

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2018, 11:51:23 AM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
I can't wait for this season. What's the Celtics season record for assists? That would be a good team goal.

But, to the point, the 16-17 Golden State team is the easiest to compare. Their top 4 sacrificed a total of 12.1 FGAs.

Durant went from 19.2 in OKC to 16.5 (-2.7); Curry went from 20.2 to 18.3 (-1.9); Klay 17.3 to 17.6 (+.3); Draymond went from 10.1 to 8.6 (-1.5 ).

Iguodala shoots about 5 times per game. Marcus Smart, be ready to shoot about 5 times per game. Horford's already gone from 12 to 10 so the Draymond 8 sounds right this season. Klay got a few more shots, so will Tatum... focus on passing and the attempts will right themselves.

Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2018, 01:45:30 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I think Kyrie will still get his (maybe not 26 ppg but 22/23 or so) and GH will get about 20. Other than that, about 5 players (Brown, Tatum, Al, Morris, Smart) will average between 15 and 11 ppg.
When Durant went to GS, Green had to give up a few ppg. They still had 3 players over 20 ppg. I don't see that as an issue. This team is very unselfish, or haven't we noticed? The only issue is Kyrie could say "they don't really need me" (he'd be wrong to think that tho) and use that as an excuse to bolt elsewhere.

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2018, 01:45:38 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Sometimes I think about this too. The only thing I can come up with is that Brown and Tatum will have to distribute some of their minutes with the second unit as the main go-to scorer. Our second unit while being sound defensively could struggle to score at times unless one of the starters help out.

The fact remains that someone will have to be the "Klay Thompson" of the team.

I can't wait for this to begin.

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2018, 02:54:24 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
hopefully they'll have new topics to write about once preseason is underway.

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2018, 04:21:43 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
IF they can pull this off this year, God bless them...  The GS situation to me is an unfair comparison because those guys we were older... KD spent most of his Career "Getting his" and was obviously tired of getting mud stomped..  While Green, Klaye & Steph had just lost to Lebron (After winning the year before)  Mentally they were all Established and ready to make major sacrifices to win..

We, on the other hand, have major pieces that are Uber talented but also very young and haven't really done anything in the league to make a name for themselves...  I don't think this is going to be an easy manage at all..   And if they do manage it this year, awesome.. But at some point very soon (2019-2020) Brown and Tatum are going to want to prove that they can be max players...

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2018, 04:39:06 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I like these threats..... if gsw can play.... we can play..

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2018, 04:53:46 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
The biggest issue I can see is Morris and maybe Rozier. Because I can see both guys choosing to jack up shots to “get theirs” and end up being a black hole on offense. They’re also the least efficient (Smart not included) of our shot makers. I wouldn’t flinch if DA eventually decided to ship out Morris for a future pick and a cheap role player.
- LilRip

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2018, 05:05:55 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Good problem to have.  If anyone is going to be willing to sacrifice shots it's going to be Horford.  I wouldn't be surprised if he averages only 10 PPG or even less this season, and with our depth I think Brad is going to play him around 28 MPG to preserve him for the playoffs.

Last season FG attempts per game:
Kyrie - 18.1 attempts in 32.2 MPG
Brown - 11.5 attempts in 30.7 MPG
Morris - 11.3 attempts in 26.7 MPG
Horford - 10.5 attempts in 31.6 MPG
Tatum - 10.4 attempts in 30.5 MPG
Rozier - 10 attempts in 25.9 MPG
Smart - 9.5 attempts in 29.9 MPG
Baynes - 5.5 attempts in 18.3 MPG

In his final 2 seasons with Utah, Hayward's FG attempts per game have been 15 and 15.8.  At least one of Hayward, Tatum, or Kyrie will be on the floor at all times I'm guessing to help anchor the 2nd unit.  If it's Hayward, this would be a good way to get him his shots.

Morris ideally would shoot less, as would Rozier.  Smart needs to shoot way less than he does and I hope Brad restricts him a bit this year.  If they are willing to accept a smaller role in addition to Kyrie hopefully sacrificing a bit of his iso-ball for the good of the team, I think we can have great scoring balance without our vets getting too disgruntled.  I think if anyone is going to have a problem it's going to be Morris.

TP.

I broke it down even further.

As a team we shot 85.1 shots per game last year, but because injuries occur the shot attempts per player added all up together comes up higher just over 100 (but we had lots of injuries last year).  Games missed where others get more shots always happen.  Last year for games missed were Irving 22, Horford 10, Brown 12, Tatum 2, Morris 28, Smart 28, Rozier 2, Baynes 1, and Hayward 81 for a total of 186 games missed for our projected 9 players (left out Theis as he may only get a few shots a game at most).  Hopefully it’s less than half that this year, but injuries always occur leaving more shot attempts when it happens.  As a result you can project a little higher than the actual shot attempts per game for the team.

With that in mind I looked at these 9 players from last year for shot attempts:

Irving 18.1
Horford 10.5
Tatum 10.4
Brown 11.5
Morris 11.3
Hayward (not counting the 5 minutes he played)
Rozier 10
Smart 9.5
Baynes 5.5

Total 86.8

My projection for this year with Morris:

Irving 16
Horford 8
Tatum 11
Brown 11
Morris 7
Hayward 14
Rozier 9
Smart 7
Baynes 4

Total 87

My projection for this year without Morris:

Irving 17
Horford 8
Tatum 12
Brown 12
Hayward 15
Rozier 10
Smart 8
Baynes 5

Total 87

I included a projection without Morris because the distribution of shots is a little smoother without him.  He has his place, but is more of a luxury at this point IMO, and will just take shots away from others maybe more deserving and isn’t that good of a passer.

Edit: Not having Greg Monroe will free up a few more shots as well so that will help with the distribution.

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2018, 05:40:30 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I personally believe the mins. will not be the problem with this team. some guys will play more one night, some will play more the next night. it'll work itself out.

the real issue is there will be a good player sitting on the bench in the final minutes of every game. before everyone passes that off as a non-issue keep in mind stevens likes to have smart on the court in the final mins. of games.