Poll

Would you give Rondo $107 million over 5 years peaked at $24 million in year 5?

Yes, his combined value as a player and franchise brand cornerstone are worth that & more
4 (33.3%)
No, he's just not worth that much to the organization even as a combined level of value
0 (0%)
I'd give him something like 5 years $90 million (5x$18 million) at the most. If he wants more get it elsewhere
3 (25%)
Too much, $15-16 million tops
1 (8.3%)
I think if he's serious about winning a championship again he'll take $18-19 million x 5 years but I can understand why the owners would give him $100 million+ given the new cap & NBA TV deals ( C's own 20% in Comcast now).
4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Rondos true 'value' & what a max deal might look like for Rondo under new cap  (Read 1071 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
We've seen Rubio just get $13.75 million x 4 year deal and Bledsoe make a 5x14 million contract- how much is Rondo truly worth?
You might be shocked at just how much Rondo stands to make from a max deal under the new cap...like almost double what Rubio just got.

Just as a player: being optimistic and saying we see him returning to the player he was in 2010-13 it would be fair to say he's getting at least a 5 year+ $75 million dollar contract- up to $18 million per annum at around $85-90 million over 5 years ?

Thoughts?
Brand/marketing value Now take Rondo and the income that his name and his skillset, attitude or 'swag' that he presents as a marketing icon and add it all up.
Ie: jerseys, ticket sales, souvenirs, national coverage in media and international exposure for the Celtics.
What's the sum of all that revenue and subsequent income away from his salary? There are more than 20 players in baseball on $20 million or more and surely Rondo's marketing value alone to the Celtics around the world and in the US would have to be something around $7-$10 million right?
I mean the income just from China would be astronomical for the Celtics brand.
Thoughts?

So after separating the on court and off court income he generates, add the two together and if you're the owners of this business- do you ever question giving Rondo $18-$20 million a year for 5 years?
Ok so now let's look at Rondo's salary under the new CBA (educated guesses from Larry Coon at a $66.5 million salary cap in 2015-16)....
This is from Brian Cobb's Rondo contract article on Boston.com

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2014/10/rajon_rondo_wants_a_max_contracthow_much_would_that_cost_the.html

'The bird rights benefit of giving one player up to 28.1 percent of $66.5 million gives us a 2015-16 starting salary of $18.68 million for Rondo in the first season of his next deal (2016-17). Players are also eligible for 7.5 percent raises in each year of their contract. Factor in a raise like that for each year, and a max contract offer for Rondo would look something like this:

2015-16: $18.68 million

2016-17: $20.081 million

2017-18: $21.48 million

2018-19: $22.88 million

2019-20: $24.28 million

Total value of Celtics max offer to Rondo: 5 years, $107.4 million'
Do the Celtics pony up $24 million for Rondo?
Do any NBA teams?

Personally I think $18-19 million x 5 years at $95 million would be a very good deal as a business decision for the owners and a good basketball decision for a Rondo and the C's title hopes under the new cap. Is he worth that much on the court? Well if he's gonna give you the 2012 playoffs for 28 games a year in post season play then perhaps he is-but the injury questions are still going to be there for a few months at least.

I can however quite easily see the owners forking out the full $107 schmooze for the rights to rondo the player AND Rondo's fan power as a brand.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 02:36:06 PM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
It's a ton of cash for a point guard nowadays for sure, but I'm certain some teams will offer that to him. I'm not so sure the celtics will though.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
If Rondo stays healthy , productive, happy and likes being a Celtic ..I think they will pay him to stay.

He has been on the cheap IMO ......it's time to pay him.

With a floor leader like Rondo....... Another elite player might consider the Celtics .  Rondo can make even bench players look decent.

Rondo has a youthful look and he appeals to youth ......face it under25 s are the ones with the most money available for play and sports. ...... Everything is marketed to them....

« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 03:47:32 PM by SHAQATTACK »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
It seems like Rondo wants to stay so whatever he wants. Hopefully like the above poster said he can bring in another player and we have the money.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
5 years 90 million seems fair.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
How exactly is Rondo making the Celtics money in China? If you are talking jersey sales I am pretty sure that money goes into the BRI and is split evenly amongst teams. I could be wrong but I thought that's the way NBA Properties and branding worked regardless of who's team jersey or individual jerseys and products are sold.