Author Topic: What Was Your Worst Purchase Ever?  (Read 3784 times)

What Was Your Worst Purchase Ever?
« on: March 04, 2017, 05:10:44 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
It could be anything from a stock, to a counterfeit product that you thought was legit, a loan, a service that you paid for, etc.

For my freshman year in college I downloaded the free game "Injustice Gods Among Us" for my iPhone. I was sooo hooked that I literally spent some of my tax refund deposit to buy VC so I can buy/upgrade better characters. I spent a total of $349.96 on a free app in ONE go. I stopped playing the game before the semester ended...lol worst purchase.

Re: What Was Your Worst Purchase Ever?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 05:23:06 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Pretty much anything I ever bought at Wal-Mart. Flimsy, built-to-fail trash. I hate it when I have to give them my business.

My GF bought two of those composite-board dressers from them for several hundred dollars. WIthin four months they were literally falling apart.

Wal-mart refused any refund or compensation.

IMO they are thieves and criminals. Vote with your dollars, people.

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 09:26:09 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
There have been many in my 59 years, but car stories are always fun.

I had a 2002 Saab 9000 wagon, black with black leather interior.  Very sharp-looking car, tons of room inside with many creature comforts.

It was constant trouble, but worse is that the parts were super-expensive.  I'm pretty sure I spent more on parts than what I paid for the car.  I finally dumped it and went back to small Japanese cars.

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 09:52:00 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406

I had a 2002 Saab 9000 wagon, black with black leather interior.  Very sharp-looking car, tons of room inside with many creature comforts.

It was constant trouble, but worse is that the parts were super-expensive.  I'm pretty sure I spent more on parts than what I paid for the car.  I finally dumped it and went back to small Japanese cars.

Saab story

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 10:27:22 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Saab story
LOL.  Funny thing is, I have a Volvo story too.  No more Swedish cars for me!!

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 10:34:49 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
a speedboat.  my brother talked me into buying a speed boat from a friend of ours.  never used it because my brother (who had the truck to tow it) never had time to use it and he never kept the battery charged so the one time we got it out on the water, it was dead.  got back a third of what we paid for it when we sold it.

last joint venture I ever made with my brother.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 10:47:05 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
a speedboat.  my brother talked me into buying a speed boat from a friend of ours.  never used it because my brother (who had the truck to tow it) never had time to use it and he never kept the battery charged so the one time we got it out on the water, it was dead.  got back a third of what we paid for it when we sold it.

last joint venture I ever made with my brother.

And I thought my Roomba that died after two months was a bad purchase... you win!

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 10:56:31 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

i believe you are being redundant.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 11:08:40 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Few bad cars for me. Toyota and BMW have served me well. Honda and VW not so much.

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 11:19:07 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I got $35 worth of take out Chinese from a place that was so bad no amount of late night munchies or soy sauce could make it worth eating.

My `78 Volkswagon Rabbit Wolfsburg Limited Edition burned through many a paycheck with its various problems.  A happy day it was when I got rid of that thing.

Pretty much anything that doesn't work right from day one is super infuriating.  Avoiding composite wood is a good start.
Yup

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 11:46:05 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Engagement ring for my second wife.

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 11:55:06 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Home in Wine country that I sold at the bottom of the market in 2011 after watching it appreciate 450K only to see it drop 650K after that. This is followed closely by an investment in Twitter after selling my investment in Google :(

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 12:00:10 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
WHY WOULD YOU SELL GOOGLE?

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 12:04:56 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
WHY WOULD YOU SELL GOOGLE?

Heavy dose of stupid pills that day!

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 12:07:00 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Engagement ring for my second wife.
i am a bit afraid to ask which part of this sentence was the "worst"?  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva