Author Topic: Pistons Want Stan Van Gundy  (Read 7373 times)

Pistons Want Stan Van Gundy
« on: May 13, 2014, 01:25:48 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
According to Woj.

While Stan VG is interested in Golden State, Detroit is reportedly trying to lure him with the chance to be not just coach but also GM.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Re: Pistons Want Stan Van Gundy
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 01:26:20 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
That could be pretty fantastic, actually -- especially if he gets GM powers too.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 01:32:03 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
SVG's only two head coaching jobs have ever been in the state of Florida. I am sure he is brimming with excitement to go to Detroit.

I will admit, the gm position has to have him thinking, but Golden State seems like a much better fit.

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 01:33:55 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
SVG's only two head coaching jobs have ever been in the state of Florida. I am sure he is brimming with excitement to go to Detroit.

I will admit, the gm position has to have him thinking, but Golden State seems like a much better fit.

Yeah that is interesting. The GSW roster is a better fit, but being able to have the control to put together the squad you want with a gem like Drummond and a couple talented chips like Monroe or Smith could be more enticing.

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 01:37:30 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Gotta go to Golden State. They are a title contender right now. Detroit might not get back there for another decade. Drummond is far far from a sure thing. Right now, he is as skilled as DeAndre Jordan. A coach is only as good as his players. Go to Golden State.

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 01:38:53 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

If you count college, he was head coach at the University of Wisconsin (also Vermont's Castleton State College and UMass-Lowell), so he is not unfamiliar with the Midwest.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 02:35:42 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
That's an interesting move by Gores. Probably the only way to really up the ante and entice SVG.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 02:41:38 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Van Gundy's system brought the best out of Dwight Howard in Orlando.  I think he might be a good fit with Drummond in Detroit. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 02:41:51 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Gotta go to Golden State. They are a title contender right now. Detroit might not get back there for another decade. Drummond is far far from a sure thing. Right now, he is as skilled as DeAndre Jordan. A coach is only as good as his players. Go to Golden State.
This is where how Jackson was fired hurts GSW. SVG doesn't want to be the next coach to be let go after winning a lot of games but not getting a title.

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 03:08:56 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News reported that SVG asked Golden State for complete control over basketball decisions.

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 03:16:07 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
I think I'd like to see Nate McMillan in the running for that Detroit head coach position.

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 03:17:24 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 
Stan Van Gundy and Detroit are negotiating on a five-year, $35M deal, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 03:37:48 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think I'd like to see Nate McMillan in the running for that Detroit head coach position.
Ew

Not a fan of McMillan as an offensive coach myself, and I think that roster is really rough on that end.

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 03:43:07 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Ew

Not a fan of McMillan as an offensive coach myself, and I think that roster is really rough on that end.

You mean you don't want that team playing as slow as humanly possible?  :P
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 03:43:52 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Ew

I think you have to do something to improve the defense with that roster. They were top 3 scoring in the East last year.