Author Topic: Nene says Free Agency isn't about money,wants a chance at championship  (Read 6530 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Nene is leaving open the possibility of re-signing with the Nuggets, but recently suggested one of the reasons why he opted out was for a better chance at a championship.

"After nine years, I have goals and I'm a team player," said Nene. "I'm very competitive. I want to accomplish everything. It's a big opportunity, and it's the only one in my life to be a top free agent. So I want to enjoy this moment. If people think it's about money, they're wrong. I've saved my money. I could retire today. I don't need to prove points. I like it a lot here."

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/215194/Nene_Free_Agency_Wont_Be_About_Money

if it's true that Nene is all set with money, then wouldn't the C's be one of the best fits for him to win a championship? He would immediately be the C's starting and be in a starting lineup with 4 all-stars and one of the best passers in the league.

Any chance he would except the full MLE from the c's(If it's still around)?He is still only 28 and is a borderline all-star center.

Plus he would be a trade chip to possibly acquire Dwight Howard or Chris Paul..

Re: Nene says Free Agency isn't about money,wants a chance at championship
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 11:21:11 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If he's going to somewhere for MLE money I'd think Miami would be more attractive. Though I'm sure the Celtics would also court him. Of the top tier teams in the NBA they could offer him the most playing time and also allow him to contend.

I'd be shocked if he's available for league average money though, no matter what the new CBA is. He's too good of a player for that size of contract.

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 11:28:56 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I can certainly keep my fingers crossed but I wont hold my breath... He would be an absolutely perfect fit for the C's and at the MLE would be an absolute steal. We can only hope.

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 11:39:44 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
It doesn't seem too likely, but how cool would it be to have Nene in Celtic green?

What an exciting idea.    
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 11:47:01 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
If he's going to somewhere for MLE money I'd think Miami would be more attractive. Though I'm sure the Celtics would also court him. Of the top tier teams in the NBA they could offer him the most playing time and also allow him to contend.

I'd be shocked if he's available for league average money though, no matter what the new CBA is. He's too good of a player for that size of contract.

He'd be the starter in either Miami or Boston.  I'm not sure his minutes would be significantly higher for the Heat, and I think that the personnel on the Celtics would allow him to get more touches and be a more integral part of the offense.

If I were Nene, and I were making a choice between the two teams, I'd choose the Celtics.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 11:48:55 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

He'd be the starter in either Miami or Boston.  I'm not sure his minutes would be significantly higher for the Heat, and I think that the personnel on the Celtics would allow him to get more touches and be a more integral part of the offense.

If I were Nene, and I were making a choice between the two teams, I'd choose the Celtics.
I meant the Celtics and Heat could offer him the most playing time and a starting position. Both would have equivalent opportunities for him, though the Heat would have a longer window.

The Bulls have a PF/C combo, Dallas does, the Thunder do, Memphis does, and so do the Lakers.

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 12:00:42 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Nene doesn't strike me as the type to leave that much money on the table.

I think the chance at competing for a Championship will come into play if someone can make him a $50+ million offer. If no contender is able to make that type of offer and can only offer up their MLE, I cannot see Nene accepting that. He'll take Denver's cash instead.

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 12:13:05 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I just remember when Corey Maggette was a free agent in 2008 coming off a year where he averaged 22ppg with LAC.  He said he something like he wouldn't mind coming off the bench, or taking mid-level money to sign with a contender or something along those lines.  There were talks he could sign with Boston or San Antonio.  Then he took the money and signed with Golden State.  It will probably end up being the same situation with Nene.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 12:20:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

He'd be the starter in either Miami or Boston.  I'm not sure his minutes would be significantly higher for the Heat, and I think that the personnel on the Celtics would allow him to get more touches and be a more integral part of the offense.

No you wouldn't, you would choose the Heat, as would anyone that didn't grow up in Boston and root for the Celtics (and then some that did still might choose Miami).  Miami is a much better situation with a much longer window for someone like Nene who essentially does role player type things (i.e. rebounds and defends).  A guy like Dwight who may want to be the man, might rather come to Boston because he can win the title with the old guard and then be the man when they retire and still be in a pretty good spot with Rondo to win more going forward.  An oversized role player like Nene will go to Miami if the money and role is equal (which I imagine both would be).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 12:34:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

No you wouldn't, you would choose the Heat, as would anyone that didn't grow up in Boston and root for the Celtics (and then some that did still might choose Miami).  Miami is a much better situation with a much longer window for someone like Nene who essentially does role player type things (i.e. rebounds and defends).  A guy like Dwight who may want to be the man, might rather come to Boston because he can win the title with the old guard and then be the man when they retire and still be in a pretty good spot with Rondo to win more going forward.  An oversized role player like Nene will go to Miami if the money and role is equal (which I imagine both would be).
TP for saving me the time to write this.

If 28 year old Nene would take MLE for 4-5 years as a contract, why would he not think that his best chance at a title would be playing along 29 year old Dwyane Wade, 27 year old Chris Bosh and 26 year old LeBron James who just went to the Finals?

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 12:36:56 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Nene doesn't strike me as the type to leave that much money on the table.

I think the chance at competing for a Championship will come into play if someone can make him a $50+ million offer. If no contender is able to make that type of offer and can only offer up their MLE, I cannot see Nene accepting that. He'll take Denver's cash instead.

Are there any contenders that can make that kind of offer?  None that I can see right now.

There are four coveted center free agents:  Marc Gasol, Tyson Chandler, Dalembert, and Nene.

I see Gasol staying in Memphis (restricted, memphis will likely match), Tyson staying in Dallas (they can pay him).  It will be tough for Nene to turn down what Denver likely will offer him.  If he does, I see him and Dalembert going to Miami and Boston.  Who goes where is the question.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 12:38:03 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Nene is one of my favorite players.  He's really one of the only bigs aside from LMA, Gasol, Horford, and Howard (the only other Center) that has a really good defense AND a really good offense.  He's recently shown an excellent face-up game despite his less-than-great jumper, and has gotten better at creating his own shot.

With Rondo he'd be great.  He's nowhere close to MLE money though.  He's already a top 20ish player, and I think he has a chance to be the second best Center in the league next season depending on the health of Bynum and Bogut.

I'd like to see him get some time at PF next to another excellent defender and better rebounder/shot-blocker.  He might be one of those guys that needs the speed advantage, but I'd like to know how he'd play at his natural position.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 12:39:08 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

TP for saving me the time to write this.

If 28 year old Nene would take MLE for 4-5 years as a contract, why would he not think that his best chance at a title would be playing along 29 year old Dwyane Wade, 27 year old Chris Bosh and 26 year old LeBron James who just went to the Finals?

Yeah, this was my same reaction when I read that post too.  Only two potential things keeping Nene from Miami:

1.  He prefers the $$$ than Denver can offer
2.  Miami actually prefers to go with the more defensive oriented Dalembert.  They already have enough offense.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 12:42:14 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

I think Nene sees himself as a step above a role player, I know I do.  He'd be in a great position to win a title next year, he'd be playing for a storied franchise with a great coach, three hall of fame veterans, and one of the best passers in the league.

Going forward, he and Rondo could form a great foundation that could keep them in contention post big three.  Rondo will make him a better player.  That opportunity seems like it would be extremely exciting and attractive to me.

While there would certainly be opportunities to win a title with the Heat, I think that playing with James and Wade could become frustrating for Nene.  He'll always be the 3rd (or 4th) banana.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 12:56:12 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

The roles aren't even close to equal though.  Nene is ideal for a ball-movement club like Boston because he's a high percentage finisher with decent passing.  He's not meant for a two-man isolation team.  All the extra possessions go to Chris Bosh, Nene would never even see the ball.

If Perkins could average double digits on our team imagine what Nene could do with the same looks.  Boston's got a far better PG, and we've also got KG to run the defense for him.  He'd have a much bigger role on the Celts, that much is clear.  Whether or not he'd have a better chance of winning is a much harder question, but I think with Nene replacing Shaq, our starting 5 would still make us the favorites over Miami.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale