Author Topic: Lakers reportedly offering Mike Miller 5y/30m  (Read 6752 times)

Re: Lakers reportedly offering Mike Miller 5y/30m
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 11:13:23 PM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
The Lakers' biggest problem has been the lack of consistent outside shooting (along with injuries)...

Miller could conceivably play a LOT for them

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 11:15:19 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Does anyone worry that Morrow played in wide open run and gun type system that is completely opposite to ours?

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 11:21:36 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Here's more from Rotowire:

"Wow. Several teams were tracking Miller because there is a belief that LeBron James wants to play with him, but it's hard to imagine him passing up such a nice offer from the world champs. From a fantasy perspective, it's hard to see him starting, or having a major role, on a roster that already features Lamar Odom off the bench."

Laker punks. Well, maybe Miller will realize how small his role would be and decide that he's better off elsewhere (like in Boston),

I think that our center situation is likely to knock Miller off of our wish list.

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2010, 11:22:03 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Too rich for our blood. I'd give Morrow 5 years but not Miller. He has been dealing with injuries for 2 season now. Celtics also need to get younger to offset aging BIG3.
So if Morrow turns out to be mediocre it will be a consolation that we'll owe him 30 million just because he's young? That kind of logic always kills me.

Not saying they should. But 5 years for Miller, that is borderline psycho. For this point forward, you'll have to look at getting player to play along side Rondo. Where they can develop chemistry and grow together.

Morrow is arguably the best shooter in the league @ 24. He is legit with so much potential. And he is in the mold of Ray Allen a pure shooter. And in the future, he can make a nice transition @ starting 2.

I wouldn't worry too much about chemistry and growth over a long period of time. After 1 or 2 years you either have it or you don't.

I agree that the preference is to go young. If young isn't available, we still need to forge the rest of the 2011 NBA champions.

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 12:40:37 AM »

Offline falconj

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 0
And according to Goodman, they gave him a deadline of tonight to accept the offer...odd.

I think Fakers are trying to pull off a sign and trade with Toronto for Bosh

M.Miller can play point forward and is a better shooter than Odom

so they'll package Odom and his wife to Toronto for a S&T

and they stop Celtics to add on a free agent target

can't think of other reason why they'll make a dead line by tonight

maybe not Bosh but at least it's a major FA from a team willing to take S&T

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2010, 01:07:32 AM »

Offline rav123

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
I expect this means they'd rather not keep Farmar, because otherwise there'll be too few minutes for Miller.

Though if he really badly wants a ring he may sign with the Lakers.

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 07:52:17 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
How do they have the money to do this?  They arent over the cap?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2010, 08:10:22 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
mle

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2010, 08:12:24 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Well I guess if they are letting Farmar walk and they are offering mike Miller the full MLE thats not horrible for us.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2010, 08:16:50 AM »

Offline thedawg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
Source told FOXSports.com that Mike Miller has already met with the Lakers, Knicks and Heat out in L.A. Lakers offered 5 years, $30 million.
http://twitter.com/goodmanonfox

I never understand the logic of offering players in their 30s long contract. I like the idea of Arsene Wenger (Arsenal Football Club manager) but he only offers 30+ players one year contract which makes sense. In some cases there is ok to offer 2 years contract but any longer now way! It is a sign of desperation to do so and I would rather give younger guys a chance than offering silly contracts.
In Danny Ainge I Trust!

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2010, 08:41:53 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Source told FOXSports.com that Mike Miller has already met with the Lakers, Knicks and Heat out in L.A. Lakers offered 5 years, $30 million.

I never understand the logic of offering players in their 30s long contract. I like the idea of Arsene Wenger (Arsenal Football Club manager) but he only offers 30+ players one year contract which makes sense. In some cases there is ok to offer 2 years contract but any longer now way! It is a sign of desperation to do so and I would rather give younger guys a chance than offering silly contracts.
Would you rather pay for 2 extra years but win 3 titles in the process, or win no titles and remain "financially flexible"? That's the logic. The Celtics did exactly the same last season with Rasheed.

Basketball is not football -- one player can be the difference between winning and losing.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2010, 08:46:31 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

Would you rather pay for 2 extra years but win 3 titles in the process, or win no titles and remain "financially flexible"? That's the logic. The Celtics did exactly the same last season with Rasheed.

Basketball is not football -- one player can be the difference between winning and losing.

Can we offer him the same as the Lakers?  We can also offer more playing time.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2010, 08:46:39 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Good point. It's about the ability to land the guy you want, and worry about the implications after you win.

The Cs should use Sheed's contract to land Miller. This allows them to pay him more than the MLE, which would put them in the driver's seat. They just give up something minor to WAS -- 2nd round pick and some cash, for example.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2010, 08:52:30 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Can we offer him the same as the Lakers?  We can also offer more playing time.

Bankshot, see my point above on the $$$. We can also offer him the ability not to play with a bunch of richards....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2010, 08:59:40 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes

And that's what have been Arsenal biggest problem all along - lack of depth and experience.

I think he can get a better deal, but the temptation to go to the bandwagon town and play for the bandwagon team is too big sometimes for some players.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels