Author Topic: If Lebron leaves his two best options are...  (Read 5270 times)

If Lebron leaves his two best options are...
« on: May 04, 2010, 02:37:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
the Clippers and the Thunder.  Neither team gets mentioned all that much as a possible destination for Lebron, but both would make a ton of sense.  Personally I think Lebron stays in Cleveland, but if he were to leave watch out for the Clippers and Thunder as destinations.

The Clippers are in L.A., they have some exciting young players like Griffin and Gordon, they have some solid veterans like Kaman and Davis, they have the cap room, they have nice facilities, and Lebron can totally change the history of the franchise.  He can play every night in Kobe's building and steal the spotlight from him.  They have a coaching vacancy which Lebron would have input in filling.  The Clippers are a great fit.

The Thunder are also a great fit.  Look what the Thunder did to the Lakers.  Add Lebron to Durant, Westbrook, and Harden and get the hell out of the way.  I know Oklahoma City isn't exactly an attractive destination, but they have as much if not more talent then any team that could sign a max guy (I realize the Thunder are just a bit shy of max contract territory, but I'm sure they could trade Green to a team with cap room to free up a few dollars to get into max contract territory).  I see no team out there that could pair Lebron with another superstar (durant) and two other all-star type young players (Westbrook and Harden).  They are so [dang] young that with Lebron leading the way they could realistically win 6+ titles over the next decade, which would put Lebron into all time great territory, some place I'm sure he wants to be.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: If Lebron leaves his two best options are...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 03:13:21 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
ya know....I've got to give you a TP for this! I don't care where LeBron goes, can he go somewhere out West? I'd love for the LA Clippers to acquire him and him absolutely change the face of that francise. He'd be the bigger star compared to Kobe in Los Angeles.
Although All-Star games vs the West would be really lopsided.

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 03:17:15 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I don't see either one happening - the Clippers are way too risky of a destination, and Sterling doesn't have many fans among players after he was found to be racially discriminating in his housing business. 

The Thunder would be an amazing destination but I think they're too "small-time" for LeBron.  I don't think he wants to be the greatest player in Oklahoma history, and there'd be too many alpha dog issues with Durant.

If LeBron leaves I think he's most likely to go to the Knicks, with the Nets a distant second.  The Nets' chances could go up if they get the #1 pick in the draft and take Wall or Turner.

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 03:25:15 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The problem with the Thunder (other than that Durant plays Lebron's position) is that they've got a lot of players who will be due extensions soon.  With a new CBA coming up, it's a risky move for Lebron to go there.  Even under the current CBA, it's doubtful that OKC's owner would want to be deep into the luxury tax every year (even for Lebron).  Lastly, the OKC media market just isn't the type Lebron will be looking for if he leaves.

With LA, he'd be playing in Kobe's shadow, which I think would drive him nuts.  Also, like a lot of the teams pursuing free agents, they potentially have a ton of holes to fill on their team, as they only have four players under contract for next year.  Lastly, as mentioned, you really can't trust Donald Sterling to build around Lebron and to add the pieces that are necessary.

I think the best situation's are the ones where Lebron can play beside a superstar, while at the same time having an owner willing to spend money.  I'd be shocked if he doesn't end up in one of Cleveland, New York, or Miami, with Chicago being a very outside possibility.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 03:40:42 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Id love to see him play alongside Durant, cant see it ever happening though.

Id also love to see him play in the same building as Kobe. Wouldnt that be interesting.

I still think the Knicks are the number one option with the Nets in second. Big city, big lights, big money.

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 03:42:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
The problem with the Thunder (other than that Durant plays Lebron's position) is that they've got a lot of players who will be due extensions soon.  With a new CBA coming up, it's a risky move for Lebron to go there.  Even under the current CBA, it's doubtful that OKC's owner would want to be deep into the luxury tax every year (even for Lebron).  Lastly, the OKC media market just isn't the type Lebron will be looking for if he leaves.

With LA, he'd be playing in Kobe's shadow, which I think would drive him nuts.  Also, like a lot of the teams pursuing free agents, they potentially have a ton of holes to fill on their team, as they only have four players under contract for next year.  Lastly, as mentioned, you really can't trust Donald Sterling to build around Lebron and to add the pieces that are necessary.

I think the best situation's are the ones where Lebron can play beside a superstar, while at the same time having an owner willing to spend money.  I'd be shocked if he doesn't end up in one of Cleveland, New York, or Miami, with Chicago being a very outside possibility.
Durant eventually moves to power forward as he bulks up.  Similar path of KG in that regard.  So I don't see a problem with Durant and LEbron manning the forward positions at all.

OKC does have some of their young guys coming due, but most signs indicate Durant loves playing and living in the city, so I think he re-signs.  If you have those two, does it really matter who you put next to them?  Sure Westbrook and Harden would be great to keep, but if they leave so what you still have Lebron and Durant.  Also I really believe that of all the superstars in the league right now Durant and Lebron are the most complimentary given their style of play.  

As to the Clippers, I could see Lebron wanting and embracing the challenge of going into Los Angeles and taking the spotlight away from Kobe.  There are certainly questions about Sterling, but I'm sure Lebron would get enough power into his contract to ensure Sterling does right by him.  Hell Lebron could even sign a contract that allows him to opt out every year if necessary.  I know they don't have a lot of guys under contract (but neither do the Knicks and a number of other teams with cap space, it is afterall how you get cap space), but Blake Griffin and Eric Gordon are incredible young talents and B Diddy and Kaman are solid veterans that know their role.  Lebron is also a perfect fit in that roster construction at SF.

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 03:44:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Id love to see him play alongside Durant, cant see it ever happening though.

Id also love to see him play in the same building as Kobe. Wouldnt that be interesting.

I still think the Knicks are the number one option with the Nets in second. Big city, big lights, big money.
Lebron gets big money no matter where he goes and he really doens't seem like a guy that needs a big city with big lights to be happy.  He was born and raised in northeast Ohio and seems to really like it.  He almost never gets in trouble and is rarely seen out and about without his family.  N.Y. just isn't the draw for Lebron that it is for some people (a guy like Joe Johnson would make a ton more money in NY then he would in Atlanta, Lebron not so much).

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 03:55:05 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
Actually, his two best options would be Chicago with Rose, Noah, Deng and crew or Miami with DWade.  Both teams have the ability to offer Lebron a max deal.

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 03:59:55 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
to look at himself in the mirror while patting himself on his back about how great he is

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 04:18:14 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I hope he stays in Cleveland and never wins a ring.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 04:47:09 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
I honestly want to see him go to the Knicks. I love Boston NY rivalries and that would be awesome provided we beat them every year!

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 11:03:32 PM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
I see him going to Chicago or the Nets/Knicks to partner with Bosh. Chicago especially I can see him winning multiple championships starting from year 1.

Although the Cavs are currently giving the C's a tough fight, that supporting cast is just getting older and LeBron could easily partner with a much younger star if he wished. And I don't see Wade coming to Cleveland. Maybe they could have a chance at Bosh though?

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 11:18:45 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
He would be a great fit with the Clippers.

But idk of BronBron and Kobe can exist in the same city - the Earth's axis would shift and everything would go all Twilight Zone.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 11:23:28 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
It'd be interesting to see if Lebron's star rose higher in LA than Kobe's. We all just assume that it wouldn't because it is the Clippers, but he'd have that team winning games and on national tv. Wouldn't mind seeing it, to be honest.

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 11:42:21 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I don't think LeBron will go to Chicago strictly because of the Jordan thing.  LeBron seems pretty focused on his image, and I think he wants a franchise "of his own".