Author Topic: Tatum and Brown appreciation thread  (Read 1331 times)

Indocelts, ddt27, michigan adam, chicagoceltic, Celtics2021 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: Tatum and Brown appreciation thread
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 04:35:56 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1418
  • Let's Go Celtics!
If the Celtics in it all this year or next I think it dramatically increases the chances that both guys are around long term, and if they are they will end up at or near the top of a lot of all time Celtics lists.

Its a generation Celtics duo that has done just about everything you could want except win a title. Really hope they get it this year.
If not this year, I don't think it happens.  This is their shot.

Maybe. I've watched enough basketball to know that its very unpredictable year to year. A lot of people thought the C's window had closed when they went .500 back in 2021. Then some people wondered whether they blew their chance when they lost to GSW in 2022. People thought Jaylen needed to be traded after they got upset in the ECF in 2023. So ya, this year seems wide open and it will be disappointing if they lose, but I'm never willing to just say that's it.

But ya, this is easily the best chance they've had so far and its hard to see an easier path to the Finals. Although i will say: Neither Dallas nor Minnesota would be a finals pushover. I'd put those teams on a close to similar level as Denver, GSW, Phoenix in terms of deserving Finals teams the last few years.

The major caveat is always injuries. If KP doesn't come back and they lose to Minnesota I don't think that's a choke job. Same if Tatum/Brown/White were to go down with a sprained ankle or something.

I think they have have a great chance this year, but to close their window after this season feels really premature and reactionary. It's been well established how hard it is to win it all in this league before age 27/28 but if 26 year old Jayson Tatum doesn't win right now it's likely he never will?
If it came off that way, that wasn't the intention. I was meaning that if they don't win this year, then they won't win as a duo and will need to be broken up.  The team is going to price and age itself out very quickly.  This is the year or I just don't think it happens without some major moves.  There are always variables, but everything lines up for them.  I think you could make a similar argument about the Bills and Josh Allen getting by the Chiefs (and to a lesser extent the same if Ravens and Chiefs).  Last year was the best chance for Allen and he didn't do it. The team has now moved off of Diggs and will probably make a bunch of other moves in the next year to try and build a different team around Allen to get by the Chiefs.  That is what I see for Boston if they don't win this year.  If they can't do it this year, then I just don't think it happens for Tatum and Brown as teammates.

Sorry, I completely checked out when you started talking about football.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 11:24:29 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 139
If the Celtics in it all this year or next I think it dramatically increases the chances that both guys are around long term, and if they are they will end up at or near the top of a lot of all time Celtics lists.

Its a generation Celtics duo that has done just about everything you could want except win a title. Really hope they get it this year.
If not this year, I don't think it happens.  This is their shot.

Maybe. I've watched enough basketball to know that its very unpredictable year to year. A lot of people thought the C's window had closed when they went .500 back in 2021. Then some people wondered whether they blew their chance when they lost to GSW in 2022. People thought Jaylen needed to be traded after they got upset in the ECF in 2023. So ya, this year seems wide open and it will be disappointing if they lose, but I'm never willing to just say that's it.

But ya, this is easily the best chance they've had so far and its hard to see an easier path to the Finals. Although i will say: Neither Dallas nor Minnesota would be a finals pushover. I'd put those teams on a close to similar level as Denver, GSW, Phoenix in terms of deserving Finals teams the last few years.

The major caveat is always injuries. If KP doesn't come back and they lose to Minnesota I don't think that's a choke job. Same if Tatum/Brown/White were to go down with a sprained ankle or something.

I think they have have a great chance this year, but to close their window after this season feels really premature and reactionary. It's been well established how hard it is to win it all in this league before age 27/28 but if 26 year old Jayson Tatum doesn't win right now it's likely he never will?

Yeah, it's crazy.  Lebron, KD, Jokic, Curry - hell even MJ .  None of those guys had won championships at age 26.  None of them copped anything close to the level of critricism that Tatum and Brown (Tatum especially) has faced.

The only reason people this expectation with Tatum and Brown is because they have made so many deep runs and therefore have theoretically had so many opportunities in which they have only just fallen short. 

But at the end of the day that just means you are punishing these guys for their own competitiveness.  Why is making it to the conference finals/NBA finals and then losing somehow WORSE then missing the playoffs or getting knocked out in the 1st/2nd round everr year like Embiid?  That's how the media seems to treat it. 

At the end of the day there is a reason why so few players in history have led teams to championships before the age of 27-28...players simply don't reach their prime until 27/28 years old.  That's how long it takes guys to develop out the weaknesses in their games, develop their bodies into peak form, develop the basketball knowledge whereby they know how to reach to different types of defensive schemes (etc), and mature to the ppoint where they get ppast caring about individual glory and start really believing in the "do what it takes to win' mantra. 

Tatum and Brown are just getting to that age, and you can see it in their play - they still make silly mistakes from time to time no doubt, but they have been far less selfish this year and you can clearly see both players are giving up shots and stats and buying into "do what the team needs me to" concept.  Brown has gone back to playing outstanding defence, Tatum has become a much better rebounder and playmaker, and both guys are taking far less forced ISO shots.

It's all coming together for these guys - they are starting to understand.  Keepp them together and the title WILL come at some point in the next year or two.  It's prety much inevitable.  Keeping them around through their growing years only to quit on them the moment they hit their prime and start to play the right way would be a very, very bad move.   

« Reply #17 on: Today at 06:30:23 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1561
Those guys also had won the MVP before 26 or during 26 year in case of Curry. They are a different class of player than Tatum. Comparing Tatum to them isnt fair to Tatum, who may not even be a top 5 player talent wise now or any point in his career.  Tatum is a great player, but he isn't an all time great player. The window to win for him is much smaller than the all time greats.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: Today at 07:08:08 AM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 323
Those guys also had won the MVP before 26 or during 26 year in case of Curry. They are a different class of player than Tatum. Comparing Tatum to them isnt fair to Tatum, who may not even be a top 5 player talent wise now or any point in his career.  Tatum is a great player, but he isn't an all time great player. The window to win for him is much smaller than the all time greats.

How is this relevant to appreciating JB or JT?