Author Topic: Options if AD to Boston Does NOT happen  (Read 13855 times)

Re: Options if AD to Boston Does NOT happen
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2019, 04:10:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Beal would be great, but maybe we do more of a three-way thing where Beal goes to DET, Drummond goes to the Cs, and players/picks go to WAS. We would still have the same issue of putting enough salary together so Smart would likely have to go. And if we are able to preserve Tatum, Jaylen Brown would likely be in the mix...leaving us with a need at SG.

Oh, well, that probably isn't going to work.   :(

I would rather have Beal than Drummond.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2019, 04:23:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don’t even want to think about it.

I’d wishfully hope we could package all of our picks to move up to get Ja Morant.  Otherwise, it’s hard to get excited about building for the future without a building block PG or big man.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2019, 04:28:31 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
So kinda looking like TWO things are prime to,determine the Celtics future.

1 ) KD s decision on free agency

2)  Who wins Zion .... will it be somebody who will trade him for AD ?

It s looking like NY was setting this up all along ,  dump everybody for cap,space ,  tank for Zion , based on inside info of KD s feelings not being happy at GS.  Kinda head scratching....but KD and Kyrie march to a different beat than most.

I don't like what it means for Bostons future ,  appears Kyrie will bolt to NY.    I guess the rest of the Boston team has this much figured out too....got to suck knowing your star player is running off to to NY . No wonder the morale or effort seems half throttle

.  But , Im glade its not the Lakers holding NY s cards . 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 05:09:44 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2019, 04:28:54 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I agree w/ Moranis that if the Celts don't trade for AD, there's a good chance Kyrie goes elsewhere.

Therefore:

(1) Use all 1st rounders ... the Celts are now in full-on youth development mode!

(2) Let Rozier go in RFA unless nobody offers him better than 2-3 years @ <$10 million annual.  He'd be a good deal at ~$10 million per year for 2-3 years.  He is not worth anything close to full starter money.

Morris, Baynes, Theis ... these guys can go elsewhere.

(3) Try to get Horford to agree to opt out of the last year of his current deal and re-sign for 3-4 years @ ~$20 million per year.  Even in youth development mode, YOU WANT AL HORFORD ON YOUR TEAM.

Marcus Smart and Al Horford remain as the veteran culture leaders of your team.

Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum are the faces of the franchise moving forward.  Better hope they can achieve genuine night-to-night stardom.

Brad Stevens is the true centerpiece of the franchise, for better or worse.

To answer your primary question directly, I don't think there's a good deal for a big man that's going to keep things on track for contention if Kyrie leaves.  I wouldn't bother making a major trade for a big man.  Nor will the Celts have cap space to sign somebody outright.

I agree with this with two exceptions:

1) Keep Baynes to help preserve the defense, plus he's another good vet (and he shouldn't cost much).
2) I'm inclined to cut Rozier loose no matter what; he's grown very little, if any, this season, doesn't seem to be a particularly intelligent player, and if his shot isn't falling, he's not contributing much.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2019, 04:41:29 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I’d wishfully hope we could package all of our picks to move up to get Ja Morant.  Otherwise, it’s hard to get excited about building for the future without a building block PG or big man.

Yeah, as much as I don't exactly want to give up virtually every good young asset for Davis, I also don't want this team to be Brown/Tatum/Smart/Horford/Hayward and a bunch of rookies/end-of-bench guys like Ojeleye and Yabu. That starting five is pretty good, true, but I don't think there's a superstar in the bunch, and Boston won't go far without a superstar.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2019, 05:22:49 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith

we ll play for 8 th seed for two years ...or do a NY ...dump Hayward for pennys on the dollar ...like Zinger and start tanking again ....for like 11 years try and find a true big worth a max contract to build around.

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2019, 05:47:29 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
If davies doesn't happen and irwing leaves.. you resign horford try to get a point guard from the draft (garland?) And pick 2 bigs like bol and reid

Rozier wannamaker smart garland brown hayward tatum ojeleje reid bol horford and baynes are a nice young core... if you add bradley wcs you are ok

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2019, 05:58:17 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith

Yeah, as much as I don't exactly want to give up virtually every good young asset for Davis, I also don't want this team to be Brown/Tatum/Smart/Horford/Hayward and a bunch of rookies/end-of-bench guys like Ojeleye and Yabu. That starting five is pretty good, true, but I don't think there's a superstar in the bunch, and Boston won't go far without a superstar.

this is appearing to be the most likely outcome based on news reports of KD .   Celtics back to treading water for an 7-8 seed . unless Danny pulls some rabbit out of a hat . You know if we can see this he knew it all months s ago. with his connections .  Depressing.

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2019, 06:23:59 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Beal as a Ray Allen level acquisition

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2019, 07:31:16 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Who’s our KG?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2019, 07:39:32 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Who’s our KG?

Hayward in good health next year

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2019, 07:41:59 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Who’s our KG?

I dunno. Adding Beal and Hayward to whoever is left after a Beal trade doesn’t strike me as similar to the summer of 2007.  KG was a monster game changer.

« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2019, 07:45:37 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Who’s our KG?

I dunno. Adding Beal and Hayward to whoever is left after a Beal trade doesn’t strike me as similar to the summer of 2007.  KG was a monster game changer.

I would think the Wizards would do Beal fortatumd and whatever salary we need straight up, maybe add on another first round pick that is late. They can't pay wall and beal that much money.

So if we have Irving, a healthy Hayward, Beal, Horford and probably what ever we could trade brown for, doesn't that seem like a super team?

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2019, 08:36:51 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
How did we go from this exciting team with a very talented young core to playoff straggler considering a tanking option - and this was the feeling after we signed Hayward and before Kyrie Irving was even in the picture.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2019, 05:28:17 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21

Who’s our KG?

I would think the Wizards would do Beal fortatumd and whatever salary we need straight up, maybe add on another first round pick that is late. They can't pay wall and beal that much money.

So if we have Irving, a healthy Hayward, Beal, Horford and probably what ever we could trade brown for, doesn't that seem like a super team?

I’d like to think of Beal as the Ray Allen as well. My greedy backup plan in lue of Anthony Davis is Bradley Beal &&& Kevin Durant. I’m of the mindset that this whole “KD is going to New York” narrative is beneficial to the Celtics. I think there’s a better chance Golden State sign and trades KD to Boston, than Kyrie leaving.

This might sound cold blooded but I’d consider swapping Hayward and picks for KD. KD and Kyrie are close friends, and I think all it takes is for Golden State to believe he’ll walk and they’ll get nothing in return.

Just as important as the talent they get back in Hayward/picks, is the cap space situation. The Warriors had a one-offseason opportunity to use their remaining cap space to add a max free agent. They lucked up that offseason by getting KD. With Stephs extension, and Klay/Draymond due for a payday, simply subtracting KDs money off the books (if he bolts) doesn’t allow GS to put that $30M to use.

Hayward would either give GS a complimentary 3rd scorer OR the Warriors could trade him for bench help/expirings, while putting an emphasis on cutting that luxury tax bill.

As for Beal, how about a Rozier sign & trade, with Jaylen Brown as the centerpiece of the deal?

The goal is to end up with Kyrie, Beal, Tatum, KD, Horford