Author Topic: Options if AD to Boston Does NOT happen  (Read 13804 times)

Re: Options if AD to Boston Does NOT happen
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 02:54:05 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
If AD doesn't happen & Kyrie does walk, recalibrate your expectations for this team for the near future. 

You're gonna have your rebuild.   Build around Tatum, Brown, & Smart and hope for the best.

Not necessarily. Not sure why everyone assumes no Kyrie/AD means another laborious rebuild.

If Ainge plays his cards right, he can still put together a very competitive team and could be even better than the one we have now.

I do agree with this thought.

Team has very good pieces....no superstar....but alot of talent and heart.

And still have loads of assets moving forward. A few tweaks and team is right there, as a team competing. (think Spurs) no real superstar, but loads of talent and continuity

Exactly. And I really think as time goes on, this superstar mentality is going to become extinct. Look at teams like Milwaukee and Toronto. Giannis was a homegrown talent surrounded by another good draft piece in Brogdon. They also made some good trades like getting Middleton (and for Brandon freakin Jennings, what a steal), Tony Snell, Eric Bledsoe and a good free agent signing like Brook Lopez.

Toronto made some smart trades like acquiring Lowry and Ibaka and teamed them up with a star like Kawhi Leonard.
However, they also drafted some good pieces like Siakam, Norman Powell, VanVleet and Anunoby.

Point is, this superstar formula that Bron/Wade/Bosh started in 2010 with Miami is going to start becoming obsolete. Even the Warriors are mostly drafted players with a superstar pick-up like Durant and other good trade acquisitions like Iguodala.

It doesn't have to be 2 or 3 all-star players OR bust. Last time I checked, 15 players make up a roster.

The draft part is true, but how far have the Bucks/Raptors actually gone in the playoffs?

Just going by their body of work this season. I know they've had playoff failures in the past (although this is Toronto's first year with Kawhi.)

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 06:15:04 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
If it doesn't happen, then you...

(1) Re-sign Kyrie at 5/188M (max)

(2) Let Rozier and Morris walk

(3) Use the MLE on a big man like Robin Lopez (or someone similar that's available in FA)

(4) Sign another guard for the bench using an exception (like say, Isaiah Thomas lol, or someone else)

(5) I think we'll also have to decide on Theis since he's a RFA, but I'd be fine bringing him back if it's for relatively cheap. Do we have his Bird Rights?

(6) Hope Memphis Pick DOESN'T convey. Let it roll over for 2020 or 2021. Use 2 of the 3 picks (Kings, Clips, Celtics) on best player available at the range it's in, and trade the other for maybe another future (likely protected 1st round) pick since I don't think we can just fit 3 more rookies into our already crowded roster (probably just 2).

I think AD ends up with the Knicks or some dark-horse team like Portland. Ainge isn't dealing squat for a rental who doesn't want to be here. But we're fine as is, especially if our young guys keep growing and we can maybe land 1-2 contributors in this year's Draft.

I think it's ridiculous to think that Kyrie's decision will simply be based on if the C's land Davis. In a way, that makes it sound like he holds all the cards and not Ainge (which is an ugh feeling).

If we unfortunately lose Kyrie, then we take a small step back but we still keep growing with Tatum, Brown, Timelord and others we draft in the future.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 06:21:44 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Who out there can be that bigman the Celtics need that could potentially be acquired?

Which would/could be available, and which would be the best fit and why?

Although it's very unlikely, I'd probably aim for Karl Anthony-Towns.

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 06:31:13 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I was trying to picture Drummond at center.

Getting a "good" FA point guard
Brown
Tatum
Horford (25 minutes)
Drummond

Smart
Hayward
Semi
Williams
off the bench

Irving
Morris
Baynes
Rozier elsewhere.

3 or 4 first rounders of whom maybe one could "become a starter" even though Stevens wouldn't give him minutes and Ainge is a doubles not a home run hitter in the draft.

Yea, I guess we better get Davis.

Irving
Brown
Hayward
Horford
Davis

Smart
Semi
Baynes or Theis

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 06:37:18 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I could see us going after Beal
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 08:21:01 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Who out there can be that bigman the Celtics need that could potentially be acquired?

Markkanen?
Carter Jr?
Drummond?
KAT?
Turner?
Valanciunas?
Vucevic?
Gasol?

Which would/could be available, and which would be the best fit and why?

Half those guys are either on rookie contracts which are almost never the target in a big trade. Markkanen and Carter for example are not getting traded. Turner just signed a team friendly extension. KAT isnt going anywhere as he signed an extension. The rest of those guys are B+ level players who dont move the needle, hard pass.

The right move is the obvious one, keep our young guys, draft well with the picks we have upcoming , hope Brown/Tatum get really good or we draft a superstar. If we don't get Davis I think Kyrie likely moves on, but even without him we'll be a playoff team. Ratchet up browns/Tatums minutes, see what they an do. I think with more freedom they could show us something.

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 09:28:33 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Resign Irving, along with Horford and Baynes opt in then it's nearly the same top 7

Irving, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Horford
Hayward, Baynes

Then you have Semi with Williams cracking rotation more followed by picks of Kings, Clippers, Celtics 1st rounders to complete the roster. I'd consider using C's 1st on a Euro stash like Samanic.

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2019, 09:31:45 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I was trying to picture Drummond at center.

Getting a "good" FA point guard
Brown
Tatum
Horford (25 minutes)
Drummond

Smart
Hayward
Semi
Williams
off the bench

Irving
Morris
Baynes
Rozier elsewhere.

3 or 4 first rounders of whom maybe one could "become a starter" even though Stevens wouldn't give him minutes and Ainge is a doubles not a home run hitter in the draft.

Yea, I guess we better get Davis.

Irving
Brown
Hayward
Horford
Davis

Smart
Semi
Baynes or Theis

Drummond would be great, but I don't see Detroit giving him up.

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 09:32:05 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Another good idea but I don't see DC giving him up either.

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 09:58:01 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Another good idea but I don't see DC giving him up either.
Yeah, me either. I just hope they would rather surround Wall with youth who may not demand a max contract instead of Beal, who is definitely deserving of one.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2019, 10:42:39 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't get the panic about losing Kyrie if there's no AD trade.  Kyrie was on board with resigning here before the whole AD fiasco flared up this year.  We can offer him the most money and we have a great roster situation that he won't find elsewhere. 

next moves are letting Rozier and Morris move on, particularly Rozier.  Al opts out for a longer deal.  Hayward has another year to get back to being Utah Hayward.  Tatum and Brown have another year to develop.  Williams likely gets more minutes with improvement.  Probably bring back Theis if reasonable financially.  add a couple of vets for MLE and vet min for experience

picks should offer a chance to consolidate and move up -  at least a 2 for 1.  Memphis might not convey this year which would work out for us in this case. 

we're not in a bad situation for next year.

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2019, 10:57:17 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
If AD doesn't happen & Kyrie does walk, recalibrate your expectations for this team for the near future. 

You're gonna have your rebuild.   Build around Tatum, Brown, & Smart and hope for the best.

We'd be entering July 2017 like how it originally was. We didn't expect Irving to demand a trade from the Cavs, and get traded to Boston for IT4 and some assets for that matter.

Ainge will have to pick up a guard to replace that IT4/Irving role. Then he still has to find that true big man this team has been desperately looking for for the last 6 years.

Then roll with something like PG/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford or PG/Hayward/Tatum/Horford/C.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2019, 11:02:34 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
But yeah, I don't think Anthony Davis will be in Celtics uniform this offseason. It's just been too much chitter-chatters all over the place. His dad saying the Celtics betrayed IT4 and stuff like that. Davis just doesn't look like he wants to commit to Boston and seems like he has his eyes set for LA anyways, at least from a mental standpoint. Even with all the Klutch Sports hype and stuff, Davis can just mention Boston in his list of preferred destinations but I don't think he has. He's keeping it simple with LA/NYK/MIL etc.

Pelicans can agree with the deal by taking Tatum and a bunch of assets, but the following year Davis would be walking.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2019, 11:03:17 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I don't get the panic about losing Kyrie if there's no AD trade.  Kyrie was on board with resigning here before the whole AD fiasco flared up this year.  We can offer him the most money and we have a great roster situation that he won't find elsewhere. 

next moves are letting Rozier and Morris move on, particularly Rozier.  Al opts out for a longer deal.  Hayward has another year to get back to being Utah Hayward.  Tatum and Brown have another year to develop.  Williams likely gets more minutes with improvement.  Probably bring back Theis if reasonable financially.  add a couple of vets for MLE and vet min for experience

picks should offer a chance to consolidate and move up -  at least a 2 for 1.  Memphis might not convey this year which would work out for us in this case. 

we're not in a bad situation for next year.

I agree that no AD doesn't necessarily mean no Kyrie and feel that's become a misconception. I'd like to hope Danny has a plan B, C and D if there's no Anthony Davis.

I'd also like to hope that Ainge has decided and communicated to Kyrie that this is his team and that Ainge is going to build around him, which could mean anyone and everyone else would be available in a trade for the right player.

I'd rather Kyrie playing for us rather than against us.

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2019, 11:06:16 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
But yeah, I don't think Anthony Davis will be in Celtics uniform this offseason. It's just been too much chitter-chatters all over the place. His dad saying the Celtics betrayed IT4 and stuff like that. Davis just doesn't look like he wants to commit to Boston and seems like he has his eyes set for LA anyways, at least from a mental standpoint. Even with all the Klutch Sports hype and stuff, Davis can just mention Boston in his list of preferred destinations but I don't think he has. He's keeping it simple with LA/NYK/MIL etc.

Pelicans can agree with the deal by taking Tatum and a bunch of assets, but the following year Davis would be walking.

Sounds like it's a risk Danny is willing to take. It's a leap of faith but if Danny is on the phone talking to the Pelicans front office and they demand an answer and Danny says "let's make this happen," then I am all for it.