Author Topic: Options if AD to Boston Does NOT happen  (Read 13889 times)

Options if AD to Boston Does NOT happen
« on: March 19, 2019, 02:14:48 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Who out there can be that bigman the Celtics need that could potentially be acquired?

Markkanen?
Carter Jr?
Drummond?
KAT?
Turner?
Valanciunas?
Vucevic?
Gasol?

Which would/could be available, and which would be the best fit and why?

Re: Options if AD to Boston Does NOT happen
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 02:19:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
If AD to Boston doesn't happen I think there is a decent chance Irving leaves and in that scenario you probably look at trading off pieces and building around the youth.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 02:23:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I agree w/ Moranis that if the Celts don't trade for AD, there's a good chance Kyrie goes elsewhere.

Therefore:

(1) Use all 1st rounders ... the Celts are now in full-on youth development mode!

(2) Let Rozier go in RFA unless nobody offers him better than 2-3 years @ <$10 million annual.  He'd be a good deal at ~$10 million per year for 2-3 years.  He is not worth anything close to full starter money.

Morris, Baynes, Theis ... these guys can go elsewhere.

(3) Try to get Horford to agree to opt out of the last year of his current deal and re-sign for 3-4 years @ ~$20 million per year.  Even in youth development mode, YOU WANT AL HORFORD ON YOUR TEAM.

Marcus Smart and Al Horford remain as the veteran culture leaders of your team.

Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum are the faces of the franchise moving forward.  Better hope they can achieve genuine night-to-night stardom.

Brad Stevens is the true centerpiece of the franchise, for better or worse.

To answer your primary question directly, I don't think there's a good deal for a big man that's going to keep things on track for contention if Kyrie leaves.  I wouldn't bother making a major trade for a big man.  Nor will the Celts have cap space to sign somebody outright.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 02:24:59 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
No AD? I feel sick.

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 02:27:16 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I agree w/ Moranis that if the Celts don't trade for AD, there's a good chance Kyrie goes elsewhere.

Therefore:

(1) Use all 1st rounders ... the Celts are now in full-on youth development mode!

(2) Let Rozier go in RFA unless nobody offers him better than 2-3 years @ <$10 million annual.  He'd be a good deal at ~$10 million per year for 2-3 years.  He is not worth anything close to full starter money.

(3) Try to get Horford to agree to opt out of the last year of his current deal and re-sign for 3-4 years @ ~$20 million per year.  Even in youth development mode, YOU WANT AL HORFORD ON YOUR TEAM.

Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum are the faces of the franchise moving forward.  Better hope they can achieve genuine night-to-night stardom.

Brad Stevens is the true centerpiece of the franchise.

The Celts aren't going very far if the centerpiece of the team is the coach.

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 02:28:28 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437

Therefore:

Brad Stevens is the true centerpiece of the franchise, for better or worse.

To answer your primary question directly, I don't think there's a good deal for a big man that's going to keep things on track for contention if Kyrie leaves.  I wouldn't bother making a major trade for a big man.  Nor will the Celts have cap space to sign somebody outright.
You forgot Hayward.
If he is back to his old form the team can still compete. 

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 02:30:53 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
If AD doesn't happen & Kyrie does walk, recalibrate your expectations for this team for the near future. 

You're gonna have your rebuild.   Build around Tatum, Brown, & Smart and hope for the best.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 02:32:55 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Who out there can be that bigman the Celtics need that could potentially be acquired?

Markkanen?
Carter Jr?
Drummond?
KAT?
Turner?
Valanciunas?
Vucevic?
Gasol?

Just by looking at your list, I think Valanciunas could be a realistic and good choice. He'll only be 27 on opening night. He's got a $17 million player option which I would think he picks up and hits free agency in 2020. If he does this, I can see a potential trade between the Celts and Memphis. The rest of the guys are likely either untouchable or will command the max (like Vucevic.) I think Gasol at this point is more of a 6th man.

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 02:34:21 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
If AD doesn't happen & Kyrie does walk, recalibrate your expectations for this team for the near future. 

You're gonna have your rebuild.   Build around Tatum, Brown, & Smart and hope for the best.

Not necessarily. Not sure why everyone assumes no Kyrie/AD means another laborious rebuild.

If Ainge plays his cards right, he can still put together a very competitive team and could be even better than the one we have now.

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 02:35:55 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

Markkanen?
Carter Jr?
Drummond?
KAT?
Turner?
Valanciunas?
Vucevic?
Gasol?

Just by looking at your list, I think Valanciunas could be a realistic and good choice. He'll only be 27 on opening night. He's got a $17 million player option which I would think he picks up and hits free agency in 2020. If he does this, I can see a potential trade between the Celts and Memphis. The rest of the guys are likely either untouchable or will command the max (like Vucevic.) I think Gasol at this point is more of a 6th man.

JV is a guy I have had my eyes on for a quite a while now.

Very good at being efficient
Very good rebounder
Much improving passer
solid enough defender

He is a poor mans marc gasol, and seeing the impact Baynes has....well Baynes is a poor mans JV

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 02:38:19 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Not necessarily. Not sure why everyone assumes no Kyrie/AD means another laborious rebuild.

If Ainge plays his cards right, he can still put together a very competitive team and could be even better than the one we have now.

Competitive? Perhaps.  Championship contending?  I don't think so.

IMO, This team has a much lower ceiling in the near future if the AD trade doesn't pan out and Kyrie leaves.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 02:38:43 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

I do agree with this thought.

Team has very good pieces....no superstar....but alot of talent and heart.

And still have loads of assets moving forward. A few tweaks and team is right there, as a team competing. (think Spurs) no real superstar, but loads of talent and continuity

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 02:49:04 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

And still have loads of assets moving forward. A few tweaks and team is right there, as a team competing. (think Spurs) no real superstar, but loads of talent and continuity

Exactly. And I really think as time goes on, this superstar mentality is going to become extinct. Look at teams like Milwaukee and Toronto. Giannis was a homegrown talent surrounded by another good draft piece in Brogdon. They also made some good trades like getting Middleton (and for Brandon freakin Jennings, what a steal), Tony Snell, Eric Bledsoe and a good free agent signing like Brook Lopez.

Toronto made some smart trades like acquiring Lowry and Ibaka and teamed them up with a star like Kawhi Leonard.
However, they also drafted some good pieces like Siakam, Norman Powell, VanVleet and Anunoby.

Point is, this superstar formula that Bron/Wade/Bosh started in 2010 with Miami is going to start becoming obsolete. Even the Warriors are mostly drafted players with a superstar pick-up like Durant and other good trade acquisitions like Iguodala.

It doesn't have to be 2 or 3 all-star players OR bust. Last time I checked, 15 players make up a roster.

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 02:52:06 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Exactly. And I really think as time goes on, this superstar mentality is going to become extinct. Look at teams like Milwaukee and Toronto. Giannis was a homegrown talent surrounded by another good draft piece in Brogdon. They also made some good trades like getting Middleton (and for Brandon freakin Jennings, what a steal), Tony Snell, Eric Bledsoe and a good free agent signing like Brook Lopez.

Toronto made some smart trades like acquiring Lowry and Ibaka and teamed them up with a star like Kawhi Leonard.
However, they also drafted some good pieces like Siakam, Norman Powell, VanVleet and Anunoby.

Point is, this superstar formula that Bron/Wade/Bosh started in 2010 with Miami is going to start becoming obsolete. Even the Warriors are mostly drafted players with a superstar pick-up like Durant and other good trade acquisitions like Iguodala.

It doesn't have to be 2 or 3 all-star players OR bust. Last time I checked, 15 players make up a roster.

The draft part is true, but how far have the Bucks/Raptors actually gone in the playoffs?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 02:52:30 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Competitive? Perhaps.  Championship contending?  I don't think so.

IMO, This team has a much lower ceiling in the near future if the AD trade doesn't pan out and Kyrie leaves.

Perhaps.

And the flip side is you re-sign Kyrie (which I hope they do by the way) and then trade multiple players and picks for Davis. Then AD comes to Boston and for whatever reason, the team still isn't as good as we thought it would be and they either lose in the finals or the ECF and then Davis waves goodbye after the 2019-20 season.

Of course I want to see Kyrie and Davis in Boston but I am just saying there's many different ways to put a good team together.