Author Topic: Memphis Grizzlies 2018-2019 Season Watch Thread  (Read 62891 times)

Re: Memphis Grizzlies 2018-2019 Season Watch Thread
« Reply #240 on: March 27, 2019, 11:44:24 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
When I think of Vancouver grizzlies, I think of Cherokee Parks
It's Shareef Abdur-Rahim for me. He WAS that team. Always liked his game and thought he was ridiculously underrated as a player.
It is Bryant “Big Country” Reeves for me.

Same.  In that ugly teal jersey.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Griz Working Hard To Convey Pick
« Reply #241 on: March 31, 2019, 12:28:05 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Griz beat the Suns tonight.

So now the Griz are just a half game behind the Pels for the #9 pick.

Looks like the Griz are really trying to win every game so that their 2019 pick will go to Boston this year.

Is the #9 pick more valuable than a potential 2020 top 6 protected pick or 2021 unprotected pick?

Re: Griz Working Hard To Convey Pick
« Reply #242 on: March 31, 2019, 12:40:41 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
You’re asking to valuate something with too many variables and unknown parts.

2021 unprotected is *probably* worth more, especially for us since we’d rather defer the pick with 3 other picks this draft.

« Reply #243 on: March 31, 2019, 12:55:52 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Looks like the Griz are really trying to win every game so that their 2019 pick will go to Boston this year.

Is the #9 pick more valuable than a potential 2020 top 6 protected pick or 2021 unprotected pick?

Let me look into my crystal ball 8)

Joking aside, getting the 9 pick would be either a great trade chip or would land us a pretty good player. Depending on which mock draft you read, the following talent could be available at no. 9, all of whom sound very intriguing.

-Bruno Fernando
-Jaxson Hayes
-Jarrett Culver
-Rui Hachimura
-Romeo Langford
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 01:00:57 AM by gpap »

« Reply #244 on: March 31, 2019, 01:07:32 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Joking aside, getting the 9 pick would be either a great trade chip or would land us a pretty good player. Depending on which mock draft you read, the following talent could be available at no. 9, all of whom sound very intriguing.

-Bruno Fernando
-Jaxson Hayes
-Jarrett Culver
-Rui Hachimura
-Romeo Langford

100% the unprotected.  Just look how hard it is to acquire a 1st in a deal these days, when they used to be thrown around in trades like footballs just a few years ago (see Larbrd's post on the Jeff Green transactional saga).

The mere possibility that the pick could land top 5, top 3, #1 makes it more valuable no matter what actually happens, and we'd have tons of time to trade it while it still has that potential and thus inherent value.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #245 on: March 31, 2019, 02:23:02 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

-Bruno Fernando
-Jaxson Hayes
-Jarrett Culver
-Rui Hachimura
-Romeo Langford

100% the unprotected.  Just look how hard it is to acquire a 1st in a deal these days, when they used to be thrown around in trades like footballs just a few years ago (see Larbrd's post on the Jeff Green transactional saga).

The mere possibility that the pick could land top 5, top 3, #1 makes it more valuable no matter what actually happens, and we'd have tons of time to trade it while it still has that potential and thus inherent value.

Very good point, as I could certainly see Memphis becoming an awful team over the next couple seasons.

Especially where if we do end up getting the Memphis pick this summer, we may end up with more picks than Ainge will know what to do with.

I think I just got hung up with the prospects in this year's draft.

« Reply #246 on: March 31, 2019, 08:02:09 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Rui Hachimura

I think the NCAAs hurt his stock, I would rather have Clark over him anyday of the week.

« Reply #247 on: March 31, 2019, 08:10:28 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

-Bruno Fernando
-Jaxson Hayes
-Jarrett Culver
-Rui Hachimura
-Romeo Langford

It might or it might not.  I mean Boston has seen this first hand.  Remember when the Nets picks were just going to be some late 1st's, didn't work out that way, however, remember when Boston was getting a top 5 pick from the Kings, without some lottery luck that isn't happening either.  Teams have gotten better about recognizing the uncertainty and valuing that uncertainty accordingly.

For Memphis, having the pick conveys gives them a lot more future flexibility as they can go into full bore rebuilding and not worry about having to give up a pick, so if does convey that is what I'd expect them to do.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #248 on: March 31, 2019, 08:33:48 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

And who ever saw the grizzlies wanting the pick to convey this year?   And who ever saw it having a very high chance of happening? Borderline genious

« Reply #249 on: March 31, 2019, 11:06:15 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I do not want the pick to convey this year

For the pick to defer my guess is that we'll need them to go 2 and 4 the rest of the way. The Clippers and Portland should beat the Grizzlies since every game matters as far as seeding in the west. The Grizz probably split with Dallas. The last two games against GSW and DET are toss-ups. GSW may shut down their starters because seeding doesn't really matter all that much to them. Detroit will try to win, but they just aren't good enough to guarantee a win.

In this scenario the Pelicans would also have to manage two wins in their next 5 (LAL, CHA, PHO, SAC, GSW) to be safe.

« Reply #250 on: March 31, 2019, 11:31:05 AM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
Pretty hard to gauge what the chances are of this pick conveying this year. The ping-pong odds have been flattened out significantly in this lottery. It could be that if Memphis finishes with top 6 lottery odds, the pick could still end up pushed out of the top 8 when all is said and done.

I'm thinking that there's a very good chance that this pick conveys this year, which might suck for the Celts considering that they already have 3 picks in the top 22 or so. On the other hand, it may increase it's value if the plan is to use it in a trade this summer.

« Reply #251 on: March 31, 2019, 02:50:39 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Conley out tonight. Think that's five games missed in March... They're trying to win, but not at the expense of JJJ and Conley's health.

Four potential picks... on the bright side, 4x higher chance than normal that C's take your draft binkie if available 

« Reply #252 on: March 31, 2019, 02:56:30 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I can understand those that disagree, but I think we are better off getting the number 9 pick this year than having it roll over. Draft night teams fall in love with a player that drops to that range. It is a lot easier sell than “maybe a better pick down the road.” If it is an AD trade giving the pelicans another two lottery picks to go with their own and a stud like Tatum really jumpstarts the rebuild. They can probably get another lottery for holiday and they are basically rebuilt overnight

« Reply #253 on: March 31, 2019, 03:56:29 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I can understand those that disagree, but I think we are better off getting the number 9 pick this year than having it roll over. Draft night teams fall in love with a player that drops to that range. It is a lot easier sell than “maybe a better pick down the road.” If it is an AD trade giving the pelicans another two lottery picks to go with their own and a stud like Tatum really jumpstarts the rebuild. They can probably get another lottery for holiday and they are basically rebuilt overnight

100% agree with you.  The #9 pick has great value either as the pick itself or in trade.  And I believe that the value of a #9 pick this year is higher than an at best #7 next year (when in all likelihood it won't be conveyed at all), and a completely unknown pick in 2020-21. 

I believe that GMs will view the possible unprotected '20-'21 pick as one that could convey in the top 5 but could also be a high-lottery or non-lottery pick.  In other words, Memphis could be horrible in 2020-21, but maybe not.  #9 is a bird in hand.

« Reply #254 on: March 31, 2019, 04:49:57 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I’d rather the pick convey this year. Cs are likely going to lose Morris, Rozier, and Theis this offseason. They will need young talented players to groom to replace those guys. Also, nothing is guaranteed with picks (aka just like SAC supposed to be a possible top 3 pick). NBA landscape changes quickly imo if you have solid decision makers. Not convinced Memphis is going to be too 5 lottery bad in 2 years.