Author Topic: Recommended Books?  (Read 179409 times)

Re: Recommended Books?
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2008, 08:18:02 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
ok, what the heck. i have no idea if this book has been mentioned since i dont have time to review the entire danged thead...hey, the celtics are almost on tv!

watership down.

Great book, for sure.  Highly recommended.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2008, 10:33:18 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
I've been tearing through Bukowski lately... I think he best represents distinctly American literature.  He's also very accessible and some of his books are genuinely funny.  You could really pick up anything by him but I'd recommend starting with Ham on Rye.

« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2008, 10:35:38 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I'm reading Traffic right now - if you like the social sciences, you'll like it - shows us many theories to why traffic happens, why we act irrationally, what can be done about it, etc. quite enjoyable
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2008, 10:48:53 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
ok, what the heck. i have no idea if this book has been mentioned since i dont have time to review the entire danged thead...hey, the celtics are almost on tv!

watership down.

Is that the book about the rabbits?  I feel like I read this a few years back but might be thinking of the wrong thing...

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2008, 08:45:38 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
if any of you guys are into historical fiction, i recommend matthew pearl...he has written two books (the dante club...the poe shadow) and has a new book coming out in early 2009. 

you guys that live in the new england area would probably enjoy him if that's your thing...but i highly recommend giving him a read.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2008, 09:09:13 AM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
Anyone reading "Top of the world" by Peter Mays? It's about amazing season we had last year. Great book! lot's of cool "behind the scene" information. I highly recommend it to any die hard celtic fans..

« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2008, 02:22:35 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
a brand new barnes and noble was built down the road from us, so i thought i'd meander over there today.  saw a book by rick pitino (the title was something about "rebound rules"?).

but i read the opening chapter where he was candid about leaving the celtics.  was interesting to see him being so transparent and humble...

« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2008, 04:48:03 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

watership down.

Is that the book about the rabbits?  I feel like I read this a few years back but might be thinking of the wrong thing...

-sw

Yep, that's the one.  Don't read the sequel, though; it's pretty bad.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2008, 06:32:26 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
if any of you guys are into historical fiction, i recommend matthew pearl...he has written two books (the dante club...the poe shadow) and has a new book coming out in early 2009. 

you guys that live in the new england area would probably enjoy him if that's your thing...but i highly recommend giving him a read.

I read the Dante Club but I wasn't that into it.  Pearl is a little dry and intentionally scholarly, and I thought sometimes he was also a little too in love with these historical figures.  That said, I'd rather dislike something for being "too smart" than "too dumb".

« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2008, 08:08:28 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen

I read the Dante Club but I wasn't that into it.  Pearl is a little dry and intentionally scholarly, and I thought sometimes he was also a little too in love with these historical figures.  That said, I'd rather dislike something for being "too smart" than "too dumb".

yeah, he's not for everyone...i'm a sherlock holmes addict/collector so his style appeals to me.

if you like this genre you might check out will thomas...he has a series of novels that are spot-on.

« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2008, 05:52:56 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer - One of my favorite books.

Tell No One by Harlen Coben - A fantastic mystery novel if you're looking for a fun read.

My favorite novelist, far, far and away.  I'm a long-time Grisham lover, but he is number two (with Brad Meltzer hovering as a third) these days - the wit of Coben's narration and his unbelievable ability to tie everything together in his endings never cease to amaze me.

MGG, have you read any of his other work?  While each of his novels is top-of-the-line, I'd recommend any of the books in his Myron Bolitar series in particular - just fantastic reading, and 'Win' might be my favorite literary character.

-sw

I have read Deal Breaker, Drop Shot and Fade Away so far, love the series. I'm looking forward to starting Back Spin now that things have slowed down at work. Also read No Second Chance and Just One Look this summer. I'd also strongly recommend the Myron Bolitar series to the blog since we're all obviously sports fans. The books are engrossing.

« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2008, 05:59:30 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't read much. In fact, I only started reading about a year ago. I like fantasy series myself, and so far have read eight books of the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, five books of Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan, and two of The Godless World by Brian Ruckley(Winterbirth and Bloodheir).

Any of you guys like these kind of stuff that can recommend me some? I usually enjoy a series of novels. I'm thinking of reading A Song of Fire and Ice by George R. R. Martin (will be made into an HBO series soon), The Wheel of Time by "Robert Jordan", and The Dark Tower by Stephen King. So opinions regarding any of these 3 series would be appriciated in addition to other recommendations you might have.

I also read the first book of Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz, and really enjoyed it. Haven't found the time to continue with the others.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 06:27:05 PM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2008, 11:34:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't read much. In fact, I only started reading about a year ago. I like fantasy series myself, and so far have read eight books of the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, five books of Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan, and two of The Godless World by Brian Ruckley(Winterbirth and Bloodheir).

Any of you guys like these kind of stuff that can recommend me some? I usually enjoy a series of novels. I'm thinking of reading A Song of Fire and Ice by George R. R. Martin (will be made into an HBO series soon), The Wheel of Time by "Robert Jordan", and The Dark Tower by Stephen King. So opinions regarding any of these 3 series would be appriciated in addition to other recommendations you might have.

I also read the first book of Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz, and really enjoyed it. Haven't found the time to continue with the others.
A Song of Ice and Fire is without a doubt a fabulous read but be warned, Martin is only about halfway through the total story and it might be a decade or more before he finishes it. I'm willing to wait because that series is without a doubt some of the most intelligent fantasy fiction ever.

The Belgariad and The Mallorean series by David Eddings is great and is a good 13 book read considering Eddings has the same characters in both series and in a couple of follow up books in Polgara the Sorceress, Belgarath the Sorcerer, and The Rivan Codex.

Terry Brooks also has a great series in his Shannara epics which starts with the Sword of Shannara and goes on through history of Shannara through generations in about 20 or so books.

Science fiction starts with Isaac Asimov's Foundation and Robot series and you can move on from there in different directions but science fiction series all began with the Foundation books. I still go back and read them once every couple of years or so because they are that good and one of the most awarded science fiction ever.

My favorite other science fiction is anything, and I mean anything, from the combination of Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Lucifer's Hammer, The Mote in God's Eye, The Legacy of Herot and Footfall being my favorites.

King's Gunslinger books are good but they are King which means very wordy and descriptive which is great in horror when trying to scare the hell out of people but can loose an audience who is looking for a good story.

Jordan's Wheel of Time series was great for about 8 books but then got boring and then he died and never finished the story. I hear someone is supposed to be writing the final book in the series.

Of course there's Harry Potter which is an incredible series. Don't believe for a minute Harry Potter is just for kids.

« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2008, 12:32:06 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
the force unleashed novel is a good read if ur into star wars

« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2008, 08:07:48 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

A Song of Ice and Fire is without a doubt a fabulous read but be warned, Martin is only about halfway through the total story and it might be a decade or more before he finishes it. I'm willing to wait because that series is without a doubt some of the most intelligent fantasy fiction ever.

My brother keeps telling me this is his favorite. I read two or three chapters some months ago, but it didn't capture me right away, so I didn't continue it. Not because I didn't feel it was worthwhile, but I was already hooked on the Sword of Truth, and since it didn't capture me immidiately I didn't feel like taking a break from the other. But surely it has been highly recommended from quite a few people, and I'm quite patient with stories, I just need to find the time.

The Belgariad and The Mallorean series by David Eddings is great and is a good 13 book read considering Eddings has the same characters in both series and in a couple of follow up books in Polgara the Sorceress, Belgarath the Sorcerer, and The Rivan Codex.

This certainly looks worth looking into. Looking around, those Polgara the Sorceress and Belgarath the Sorcerer might not be of my interest... you think them worthwhile once I'm done with the series? I doubt that I'll try this any time soon, but it would be good to keep in mind when the time comes.

Terry Brooks also has a great series in his Shannara epics which starts with the Sword of Shannara and goes on through history of Shannara through generations in about 20 or so books.

Well, I think I found something that I'll be reading quite soon. I've really enjoyed his Sword of Truth series, and if this is anything similar to it (by the looks of it), then I will surely enjoy it. Seems like a movie adaptation is coming soon. I hope they don't crap on it as ABC has done with their adaptation of Sword of Truth.

Science fiction starts with Isaac Asimov's Foundation and Robot series and you can move on from there in different directions but science fiction series all began with the Foundation books. I still go back and read them once every couple of years or so because they are that good and one of the most awarded science fiction ever.

Concept looks interesting, but I'm not sure that this might be for me. Might keep it mind if somewhere along the line I get an itch for it. As far as science fiction goes, I might start with the Ender series before anything. Although I really like sci-fi movies and tv series, novels in the other hand haven't gotten much interest from me.

King's Gunslinger books are good but they are King which means very wordy and descriptive which is great in horror when trying to scare the hell out of people but can loose an audience who is looking for a good story.

I think Terry Brooks suffers from this a bit, and if I can tolerate his, I can probably tolarate King's. My brother already has the full collection, so I have those books ready at hand... so for convenience sake, this looks like an easy pick for me when I'm done with some of the books I'm already into.

Jordan's Wheel of Time series was great for about 8 books but then got boring and then he died and never finished the story. I hear someone is supposed to be writing the final book in the series.

I'll keep this in mind, but someone I know says this is his favorite series, so I will check it out even if it's for curiousity's sake. At least I find the plot description very interesing. And as you say, someone is indeed writing the final novel. As I understand it, it's someone handpicked by his wife (or maybe by him himself before dying). I also understand that even if the novel wasn't writen, he had already laid out how the final novel should progress and its plot points, so even if it's from another author it should depict his ideas.

Of course there's Harry Potter which is an incredible series. Don't believe for a minute Harry Potter is just for kids.

I'm quite satisfied with the movies myself. I know I may be missing out on some things, but the movies are enough for me for the time being.

the force unleashed novel is a good read if ur into star wars

I don't know if I'll ever get into reading some Star Wars, even though I have some interest in it. If I start reading the Star Wars universe, I would need to start reading from the beginning (the beginning for me is probably after Episode 6, X-Wing series maybe?), and read pretty much anything that is considered canon in the appropiate order.  At the moment it seems too much for me, and it'll probably be a pain in the ass to figure out what to read when and it what order, although wikipedia has a pretty good list on how things should go about. We'll see.