Author Topic: Hacking of Tatum  (Read 1163 times)

Hacking of Tatum
« on: July 06, 2022, 05:48:56 PM »

Offline GreenBoomer

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 7
I've been too upset to discuss it, but did anyone else think Tatum was hacked repeatedly in the finals? He should have been at the foul line much more.

Re: Hacking of Tatum
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 06:01:19 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I've been too upset to discuss it, but did anyone else think Tatum was hacked repeatedly in the finals? He should have been at the foul line much more.

Refs let a lot of inside contact go in finals. Curry got hit a lot too but they didn’t call it.

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 06:29:20 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
To me that was the biggest reason for our finals loss. The refs were letting more hacking in the lane go. They were consistent both ways, but the Warriors rely on driving and drawing contact far less than the Celtics. And Tatum could not adjust.

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 06:47:34 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think Tatum was overly reliant on one or two moves. Either the Harden-like arm extension on any and all layup attempts, or the slithery Euro-step. He wasn't so basic in his finishing prior to the shoulder injury.

I think there's an argument that he was being hacked, but I also think his ability to fight through it was compromised
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 07:21:39 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
To me that was the biggest reason for our finals loss. The refs were letting more hacking in the lane go. They were consistent both ways, but the Warriors rely on driving and drawing contact far less than the Celtics. And Tatum could not adjust.

I agree with this. The finals starting in game 2 was reffed completely differently from the ecf all the way back to game 1 of the season. It’s my belief GS could NOt beat the Celtics if it was reffed like it was up until then. Game 3 I think the Celtics  won because GS didn’t grab nearly as much. But then for the rest of the series they slaughtered us stating committed to holding guys and grabbing on every play.
  But it wasn’t just Tatum driving. I thought the worst part was all of a sudden you could hold guys AWAY from the ball and also use your body to block them like a lineman simply cutting across the lane. This messed up any plays we tried to run whereas GS more played off Curry. It was ugly 90’s basketball dirt . Defense is supposed to be more sliding your feet . Stopping a guy because you hand checked or stiff arm to me is always an admission your not quick enough to guard the person. But it was all let go and the series was gross to look at.

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 08:15:31 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I think Tatum was overly reliant on one or two moves. Either the Harden-like arm extension on any and all layup attempts, or the slithery Euro-step. He wasn't so basic in his finishing prior to the shoulder injury.

I think there's an argument that he was being hacked, but I also think his ability to fight through it was compromised
I wonder if we’ll ever learn how much the shoulder injury compromised his ability.

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2022, 08:25:13 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

I wonder if we’ll ever learn how much the shoulder injury compromised his ability.

I don’t think we will, but I do think it was a significant factor.

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2022, 08:25:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Beyond the obvious on-court problems, I doubt it.

Before hurting it badly in game 3 against Miami, he was averaging 28/6/6 on 45/39/83 shooting. Afterwards, 23/8/6 on 39/40/77. Significant drop in shooting inside the arc (basically layups), scoring in general and free throw shooting.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)