Author Topic: Rasheed officially announces he's retired: free's up his contract  (Read 4157 times)

Re: Rasheed officially announces he's retired: free's up his contract
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 11:55:52 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
This makes no sense.  If he makes it "official" by filing the papers, he can't be traded.  My guess is they are just confirming that Sheed has confirmed that he WILL retire, making it clear to any team that trades for him.

Well I  still hope there is a way we can trade Sheeds contract, get something useful out of it, and that he can come back and play with us for the second half of the season.  

That is not happening.  Its one or the other.  Either he sticks around and collects his money, or he gets traded and retires.  There is no way he is going to get traded, and walk away from $12 million guaranteed, just to come back to the C's to play for the minimum.  

There was no way PJ Brown was coming out of retirement either, right?

With these NBA guys, one conversation can give them the bug.

Not playing for the first four months of the season AND training camp, just having to stay fresh (a real stretch for 'Sheed, I know), you never count out a basketball player from returning.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 11:58:28 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
This makes no sense.  If he makes it "official" by filing the papers, he can't be traded.  My guess is they are just confirming that Sheed has confirmed that he WILL retire, making it clear to any team that trades for him.

Well I  still hope there is a way we can trade Sheeds contract, get something useful out of it, and that he can come back and play with us for the second half of the season. 

That is not happening.  Its one or the other.  Either he sticks around and collects his money, or he gets traded and retires.  There is no way he is going to get traded, and walk away from $12 million guaranteed, just to come back to the C's to play for the minimum. 

There was no way PJ Brown was coming out of retirement either, right?

With these NBA guys, one conversation can give them the bug.

Not playing for the first four months of the season AND training camp, just having to stay fresh (a real stretch for 'Sheed, I know), you never count out a basketball player from returning.

yeah, but to walk awayt from $12m and then coming back to the same team for $11m less? I'm just sayin, don't hold your breath on that.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 12:11:01 AM »

Offline stylo617617

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33
if sheed files those papers man were screwed

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 12:17:05 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I am sure this is public reassurance to quell the misinformation being put out by a number of writers and media outlets that Rasheed is going to be a buyout. Word from credible inside reporters and from the mouths of team mates, Doc Rivers and Danny Ainge has been that he is retiring.

Yet people still write and talk about a buyout. A good size minority of the people on this board refuse to believe that Rasheed is going to anything but a buy out and still stubbornly write about money being left on opposing team's salary caps from a buyout and having to send millions of dollars in a trade to cover the buyout for the other team.

Rasheed is retiring and his salary is completely coming off the books when he files his papers and the team accepts his retirement. He can file his papers and the C's could not accept the retirement and then trade him at which point the other team could accept the retirement and have the money come off the books. Or he could file the papers after the trade and then the team could accept the retirement.

This just is a confirmation of the inevitable and trying to put off some of the bad info out there.

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 12:19:27 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I am sure this is public reassurance to quell the misinformation being put out by a number of writers and media outlets that Rasheed is going to be a buyout. Word from credible inside reporters and from the mouths of team mates, Doc Rivers and Danny Ainge has been that he is retiring.

Yet people still write and talk about a buyout. A good size minority of the people on this board refuse to believe that Rasheed is going to anything but a buy out and still stubbornly write about money being left on opposing team's salary caps from a buyout and having to send millions of dollars in a trade to cover the buyout for the other team.

Rasheed is retiring and his salary is completely coming off the books when he files his papers and the team accepts his retirement. He can file his papers and the C's could not accept the retirement and then trade him at which point the other team could accept the retirement and have the money come off the books. Or he could file the papers after the trade and then the team could accept the retirement.

This just is a confirmation of the inevitable and trying to put off some of the bad info out there.

So I'm a little confused..does this help or hinder us?