Author Topic: If Danny isn't re-signing Tony...  (Read 9713 times)

Re: If Danny isn't re-signing Tony...
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2010, 09:10:05 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
CAN WE GET A TRADE EXCEPTION OUT OF THIS?!!! IM YELLING BECAUSE I NEED AN ANSWER!!! LOL

I am pretty sure this was answered elsewhere, but...no, we can't.

I can't find it anywhere. How come?

Memphis is over the cap with the Rudy Gay signing.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2010, 09:11:16 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Why is it that I haven't heard anything about Marquis Daniels?

If memory serves, he had an player option this yeat.  Given his poor second half last year, I am guessing no one is going to give him much.  I realize Quis had his problems last year, but he is a decent 4th wing when healthy. The C's obviously still need a back-up wing with a shot (which they needed anyway) and now could use a lock down defender at the 2/3. 

Bradley, at 6'3" 180 and 19 years old cannot be counted on to replace TA.  Danny has to have something up his sleeve.

I think there is now a decent chance that he returns.  BTW, do we even know for sure that he didn't pick up his player option?

Daniels signed a one-year deal last year, with no options. Celtics have no Bird Rights, so if he is to come back, it has to be for vet minimum.

I thought he had a player option, but not positive.  However, the C's do have non-bird rights, which means they can sign him for 120% of his previous years salary (they have the same on Nate Robinson).

You're right, Chris.

Last year's salary was for $2 million, so Marquis could come back with a deal starting at $2.4 million next year.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2010, 09:38:08 PM »

Offline REGGIEEEE

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
I think another Tony can fill in on the defensive end.  Tony Gaffney is a player that I think can make this roster as a defensive stopper and scrappy player.  This kid was DPOY for the A10 last year, averaged a double double and was top 5 in the country in blocked shots.

The kid is 6'8, has a huge wingspan and is quick enough to guard the 3, and in a good defensive scheme could probably be counted on to guard the two spot in a reserve role.  His stat sheet might not show a lot when it came to summer league and even, but he's pure hustle, will get second chance points and will play solid D.  In college he was used out of position because of his height, but in an NBA setting I think he can thrive as a role player in the 3 spot.

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2010, 09:42:17 PM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
I think he keeps Nate and maybe Daniels for cheap, and hopes our draft pick pans out.

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2010, 09:49:16 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
If we are not re-signing Tony at what appears to be a very reasonable price,  look for Nate to sign with somebody else really soon too.  We had history with Tony, and not much with Nate so its doubtful Danny breaks the bank to keep him around.

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2010, 09:49:27 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I would not waste Sheed's contract on Hinrich. The Wizards picked him up for a reason and I dont think it was to have him eat up cap space then trade him to get less cap space back... No way.

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2010, 09:52:15 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Hinrich would be a brilliant move.
Hinrich doesn't solve the problem that TA's departure creates: namely, having a player off the bench that can slow down scoring wing players.
Isn't Hinrich's best trait his defense?

I am not sure if it is his best traits, but it is absolutely a strength.  He is one of the better perimeter defenders in the league, and has been for years. 

If Danny could get Hinrich, it would be great.  But I am not going to hold my breath.  I think, just like last year, his contract is a little tough to swallow as a backup.

I think we are forgetting that one contribution that TA gave us in this year's playoffs was guarding LeBron who is 6'8" 260. Avery Bradley certainly is not going to be guarding LeBron. and Hinrich, I'm afraid, would not fair much better.

I'll concede, however, that Hinrich is a solid replacement for TA because he does play good defense and he's a better offensive player.

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2010, 10:02:47 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Hinrich doesn't solve the problem that TA's departure creates: namely, having a player off the bench that can slow down scoring wing players.
Um, I think not. Hinrich's defense is...um...okay! But he can't guard 3's like James, not sure he could stay in front of Wade or Kobe either.

I think the target has to be an solid 3 rather than a 1/2 like Hinrich.  

Any other ideas on a target? Maybe someone who just signed for somewhere between $6 and $9 million recently?

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2010, 10:14:55 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
Um, I think not. Hinrich's defense is...um...okay! But he can't guard 3's like James, not sure he could stay in front of Wade or Kobe either.

Any other ideas on a target? Maybe someone who just signed for somewhere between $6 and $9 million recently?

Outside of a trade? The only guys that come to mind that are still out there that could help us in the backcourt or at the 3 would be Raja Bell, Randy Foye, Ronnie Brewer, Shannon Brown, and --you'll laugh-- Q Rich. As far as trades go, there's too much BS to sift through. But will everyone please lay off the Rasual Butler idea?? Please?

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2010, 10:20:46 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Outside of a trade? The only guys that come to mind that are still out there that could help us in the backcourt or at the 3 would be Raja Bell, Randy Foye, Ronnie Brewer, Shannon Brown, and --you'll laugh-- Q Rich. As far as trades go, there's too much BS to sift through. But will everyone please lay off the Rasual Butler idea?? Please?

Pretty sure Foye agreed to terms somewhere.

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2010, 10:22:56 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Bell, Foye, Brewer and Brown are not SFs, and Richardson is not going to be signed. So no, we're not going to lay off of the Rasual Butler idea. Sorry.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2010, 10:30:42 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
Bell, Foye, Brewer and Brown are not SFs, and Richardson is not going to be signed. So no, we're not going to lay off of the Rasual Butler idea. Sorry.
You're right! Bell is a 6'5" shooting guard who plays d and can cover the 3, Brewer is the same height as Butler, has 20 pounds more muscle than and shoots 48% from the floor, avg over 1.5 steals a game, is four years younger and 1 million dollars cheaper--and he's a UFA so we don't have to give anyone up for him.

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2010, 10:32:56 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

Hinrich is a very good 1-2 defensive player while TA defends the 2-3 positions best.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2010, 10:34:44 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Another reason TA may be let go is DA doesn't value his depth at guard and is planning to bring in a SF. Tony's one irreplaceable skill was guarding SF. Guarding SG can be done with starters Ray, Rondo, Pierce and reserves Daniels (if...) and Bradley. Offensively Nate and Daniels, and probably AB are better guards. If push comes to shove, he can use Ray and Pierce at SF, and then use the other guys at guard, but I'm hoping he's hunting SF.

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2010, 10:40:26 PM »

Offline MR.BOMB

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 2
Matt Barnes is out there. (But nowhere near the defender of Tony Allen)

Josh Howard would be much better!! (But we're only getting him by signing and trading Rasheed's contract)