Author Topic: Reports: Pelicans will never trade Davis to the Lakers  (Read 10237 times)

Re: Reports: Pelicans will never trade Davis to the Lakers
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2019, 10:34:59 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I think a lot depends on who gets the #1 pick (Zion) and what direction that team goes in. For example, if Phoenix lands it, do they deal that + a few more things for AD and team him up with Booker and company? Knicks can obviously pull off a trade then. Unfortunately so could the Lakers if the lottery goes there way (ugh). Maybe Sixers package Simmons + picks if they have an early playoff exit and want to re-tool their roster a bit? Wizards with Beal + picks? Blazers with McCollum (or Lilliard) + picks?

Certainly a lot of possibilities. Something tells me he lands with either Washington, Portland or New York. Portland IF they have another frustrating, early playoff exit.
I think his landing spots are in Boston and New York. There is just no way Portland or Washington close that deal. New Orleans wants cost controlled young talent and some cap relief. It comes down to Tatum or Zion going for Davis depending of course where Zion ends up.

I know the chance is remote but if the Sac pick pulls a miracle and ends up a top 4 pick, no one is beating Tatum, that Sac pick and filler for Davis. Heck, we probably would be able to keep all our other picks that way. Even the Memphis one.

Yeah, I know, it would take a miracle but there is this guy, KG, and he told me ANYTHING is possible.

Let me start by saying I hope Ingram gets better. Now with that said, his injury pretty much puts his trade value at a real low and that hurts the Lakers. Plus you have the circus surrounding Lonzo and his family and I'm pretty sure Lonzo's camp even said that he wouldn't play for the Pelicans (only a team like the Suns). Remember Kuzma's comments about rather playing in LA than being an "unknown" in Orlando (smaller market). I think that holds some weight when a small market team looks at trade offers. Unless the Lakers strike gold in the lottery, I think for them an AD addition looks very unlikely.

Of course, there's still that issue of AD being a rental which will play a part in negotiations from June onwards.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2019, 10:51:10 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Or just trade Hayward and Tatum and a some of picks for davis and moore

Irving
Smart
Brown
Horford
Davis

Done and championship please

That's a good team, but we're better with Hayward.  Maybe he never fully recovers, but if he does a lot of folks will hopefully chuckle at themselves in retrospect.  Before he got hurt, he was mentioned in the same breath as Jimmy Butler and Paul George, and (from potentially faulty recollection) was ranked higher by SI and ESPN than Kyrie Irving.

I am not quite sure what to think of Hayward. He has great games like the Minnesota game back in early December, the Philly game in February and the Golden State game this month and you think "wow, he really is that good!" But then he has other games where you're watching and see nothing more than a role player. Many use the injury excuse to his defense, but if he's still getting over his injury, how come he's played so well in a handful of games.

By the way, you're right, he was ranked by ahead of Kyrie by SI and ESPN before the 2017-2018 season began. Trying to figure out how that happened.

« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2019, 06:16:04 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

Irving
Smart
Brown
Horford
Davis

That's a good team, but we're better with Hayward.  Maybe he never fully recovers, but if he does a lot of folks will hopefully chuckle at themselves in retrospect.  Before he got hurt, he was mentioned in the same breath as Jimmy Butler and Paul George, and (from potentially faulty recollection) was ranked higher by SI and ESPN than Kyrie Irving.

I am not quite sure what to think of Hayward. He has great games like the Minnesota game back in early December, the Philly game in February and the Golden State game this month and you think "wow, he really is that good!" But then he has other games where you're watching and see nothing more than a role player. Many use the injury excuse to his defense, but if he's still getting over his injury, how come he's played so well in a handful of games.

By the way, you're right, he was ranked by ahead of Kyrie by SI and ESPN before the 2017-2018 season began. Trying to figure out how that happened.

Imo. An upgrade for smart tatum and hayward to smart and davis is massive.

« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2019, 08:12:48 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Irving
Smart
Brown
Horford
Davis

So this sort-of becomes a Jaylen (or Smart) vs Hayward thing moving forward since Tatum would be involved in both deals. I think Hayward still has a lot of potential to return to form, but if I were to rank the 3 in who I would want on the team moving forward with AD, Kyrie, and Horford, I would probably go:

1) Brown
2) Hayward
3) Smart

They are all VERY close in my opinion, but 'good' Jaylen is so dynamic on both sides of the ball and now seems able to buy in to any role Brad has him playing.

I still assume the deal will be Tatum/Smart, though so hopefully we can move forward with both. And, I realize it is not noted in this post, but losing Smart will be a HUGE bummer if it happens.

« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2019, 10:56:36 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

Irving
Smart
Brown
Horford
Davis

So this sort-of becomes a Jaylen (or Smart) vs Hayward thing moving forward since Tatum would be involved in both deals. I think Hayward still has a lot of potential to return to form, but if I were to rank the 3 in who I would want on the team moving forward with AD, Kyrie, and Horford, I would probably go:

1) Brown
2) Hayward
3) Smart

They are all VERY close in my opinion, but 'good' Jaylen is so dynamic on both sides of the ball and now seems able to buy in to any role Brad has him playing.

I still assume the deal will be Tatum/Smart, though so hopefully we can move forward with both. And, I realize it is not noted in this post, but losing Smart will be a HUGE bummer if it happens.

Smart would be a terrible loss.

Luckily there are dudes and gals that get paid tonnes of money to figure stuff out.

I think Jaylen is safe no matter what.

I think Tatum is most likely gone, it is just very unfortunate that there really doesnt seem to be any logical way to complete a trade without involving smart.

Ball was dropped earlier this season with not making a trade for a contract. Same with not using the MLE.

But

Why couldnt Rozier be signed and trade to a team under the cap that wants him (Orlando for example) and that allows Orlando the shed a contract they dont want.

IE: Boston signs rozier to a 3 year starting at 16 mill per season contract. Orlando then trades Boston Markelle Fultz or DJ Augustine and Fraser Jr. for the freshly signed Rozier and a second rounder 2019 and 2020. Orlando gets the guy they wanted, Boston gets assets to use in a Davis trade, orlando gets 2 second rounders for their help.

Boston now as a 7-8 million dollar contract to use in a davis trade.

Lets say DJ Augustine is the player who is traded to the Celtics.

Tatum - 7.83
DJ Augustine - 7.25
Robert Williams - 1.93752
Yabuselle - 3.11724
Walt Fraser Jr - 1.416852
Sacramento Pick 14th - 2.4118
LAC Pick 18th - 1.9643
Boston pick 2020 - no value

Total Outgoing Salary - 25,927,712 *1.25 + 100,000
 = 32,509,640
Davis Salary - 27,093,018 *1.15 trade kicker
 = 31,156,970

Legal Trade.

« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2019, 11:30:08 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Irving
Smart
Brown
Horford
Davis

1) Brown
2) Hayward
3) Smart

Luckily there are dudes and gals that get paid tonnes of money to figure stuff out.

I think Tatum is most likely gone, it is just very unfortunate that there really doesnt seem to be any logical way to complete a trade without involving smart.

Ball was dropped earlier this season with not making a trade for a contract. Same with not using the MLE.

But

Why couldnt Rozier be signed and trade to a team under the cap that wants him (Orlando for example) and that allows Orlando the shed a contract they dont want.

IE: Boston signs rozier to a 3 year starting at 16 mill per season contract. Orlando then trades Boston Markelle Fultz or DJ Augustine and Fraser Jr. for the freshly signed Rozier and a second rounder 2019 and 2020. Orlando gets the guy they wanted, Boston gets assets to use in a Davis trade, orlando gets 2 second rounders for their help.

Tatum - 7.83
DJ Augustine - 7.25
Yabuselle - 3.11724
LAC Pick 18th - 1.9643

= 32,509,640
 = 31,156,970

Legal Trade.
If you trade for a player, you can trade him by himself immediately but you can't trade him with other players for some time (3 months?).  It would need to be worked as a 3 team trade but I'm not sure if that is feasible with Rozier as a sign and trade.  In any case doing a sign and trade with Rozier is extremely unlikely.

« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2019, 12:49:15 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
- Davis has a 15% trade kicker and since NO didn't trade him to his desired LAL destination, it's probably a good bet Davis doesn't do anyone any favors by waving it, so his salary will be $31.157 million meaning New Orleans would need to take salary back between $24.82 million and $39.04 million

I forgot about the trade kicker.  That's a good point.

So we have reached the minimum salary needed to go out to make the trade work. But what about incoming? We sent out

Tatum, Williams, Yabusele and three picks which totaled $5 million or $17.81 million plus Rozier's $22.04 or total outgoing is $39.85 million. That means Boston needs to take in a minimum of $31.88 million.

But New Orleans is only sending us $31.157. So that trade is not going through.

Per spotrac, NO at the point this has only about 90.4M in cap allocations for next year.  So, if they send out Davis' 27M pre-kicker salary, they should be able to bring back up to around 39-41M before going over the cap, depending on where the league sets the cap number for next year.

Of course, the biggest problem with this trade remains the question of why would NOP want to pay Rozier 22M when they already have 27M committed to Jrue?  Heck, they also already have 8.6M committed to E'Twuan next year.  That's just a ton of money committed to small guards.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2019, 12:51:00 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

Irving
Smart
Brown
Horford
Davis

1) Brown
2) Hayward
3) Smart

But

Tatum - 7.83
DJ Augustine - 7.25
Yabuselle - 3.11724
LAC Pick 18th - 1.9643

= 32,509,640
 = 31,156,970

Legal Trade.
If you trade for a player, you can trade him by himself immediately but you can't trade him with other players for some time (3 months?).  It would need to be worked as a 3 team trade but I'm not sure if that is feasible with Rozier as a sign and trade.  In any case doing a sign and trade with Rozier is extremely unlikely.

The hypothetical would have to be a 3 team deal.
It is a legal deal. as far as I know there is no reason it wouldnt work.

Rozier S&T to Orlando 16 mill first year salary

Augustine
Fraser
Tatum
Yabusele
Williams
Sac Pick Signed
LAC Pick Signed
Boston 2020 pick
To NOP

Davis to Boston

« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2019, 01:45:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
- Davis has a 15% trade kicker and since NO didn't trade him to his desired LAL destination, it's probably a good bet Davis doesn't do anyone any favors by waving it, so his salary will be $31.157 million meaning New Orleans would need to take salary back between $24.82 million and $39.04 million

I forgot about the trade kicker.  That's a good point.

So we have reached the minimum salary needed to go out to make the trade work. But what about incoming? We sent out

Tatum, Williams, Yabusele and three picks which totaled $5 million or $17.81 million plus Rozier's $22.04 or total outgoing is $39.85 million. That means Boston needs to take in a minimum of $31.88 million.

But New Orleans is only sending us $31.157. So that trade is not going through.

Per spotrac, NO at the point this has only about 90.4M in cap allocations for next year.  So, if they send out Davis' 27M pre-kicker salary, they should be able to bring back up to around 39-41M before going over the cap, depending on where the league sets the cap number for next year.

Of course, the biggest problem with this trade remains the question of why would NOP want to pay Rozier 22M when they already have 27M committed to Jrue?  Heck, they also already have 8.6M committed to E'Twuan next year.  That's just a ton of money committed to small guards.
You are forgetting their cap holds unless you expect NO to renounce every one of their free agents just so they can trade Davis and include Rozier as a sign and trade. Their cap holds put New Orleans way over the cap and even close to the luxury tax.

« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2019, 01:48:26 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Even if they don't refuse to trade him to the Lakers...

What's the Laker trade package that requires us to include Tatum to beat it?

The Ingram injury is significant.

« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2019, 01:53:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It won't be the Lakers offer the Celtics will have to beat. Tatum will be needed to beat other offers, like one that includes a top 2 or 3 pick and a bunch of salary cap relief. Boston can't give them cap relief but they do have elite youth, quality players as salary filler and picks.

« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2019, 02:11:07 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740

It won't be the Lakers offer the Celtics will have to beat. Tatum will be needed to beat other offers, like one that includes a top 2 or 3 pick and a bunch of salary cap relief. Boston can't give them cap relief but they do have elite youth, quality players as salary filler and picks.

of the bottom 10 teams atm..who besides the knicks would give up their pick for AD?  assuming the knicks even get a top 3 pick.  (dont they have like a 60% chance its out of the top 3 as it stands?)

« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2019, 02:13:07 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Irving
Smart
Brown
Horford
Davis

1) Brown
2) Hayward
3) Smart

But

Tatum - 7.83
DJ Augustine - 7.25
Yabuselle - 3.11724
LAC Pick 18th - 1.9643

= 32,509,640
 = 31,156,970

Legal Trade.

The hypothetical would have to be a 3 team deal.
It is a legal deal. as far as I know there is no reason it wouldnt work.

Rozier S&T to Orlando 16 mill first year salary

Augustine
Fraser
Tatum
Yabusele
Williams
Sac Pick Signed
LAC Pick Signed
Boston 2020 pick
To NOP

Davis to Boston

One issue I have with this might be actually finding a team that wants to dump salary.  I struggle thinking a team like Orlando would want to dump Fultz or Augstine.  Fultz because they just traded for him as a project, and Augstine because he's not a bad contract.   Augstine's a productive player and could be a good veteran backup for Rozier and he'll only make $7.25m for 1 more year.  That's not a bad price for a backup PG, considering Smart got $13m (and was supposed to be a backup), Schroder is getting $15m, Patty Mills $12.5m, Dinwiddle $11m,Dellavedo $9.5m, VanFleet $9m, Rondo $9m, Shaun Livingston $8m, Galloway $7m, Tony Parker $5m, Beverley $5m.  So Augstine's $7.25m seems on the lower end of what an aspiring playoff team might spend on a competent backup.  It's either that or rolling the dice on a possibly washed up veteran or journeyman scrub no other teams want for the minimum or hope a rookie contract can handle the role.

Not familiar with every team, but don't think teams are looking to dump $7m-$10m contracts, those are value contracts now.  The contracts teams want to dump are your $15m-20m+, your Chandlar Parsons, Nic Batums, Ryan Andersons, etc.  And NOP doesn't want to take those on.

There's going to be a ton of cap room next year, so finding a team that wants to sign Rozier and dump small salary may be tough.   Or the C's might just have to offer more compensation, like offering Orlando a 1st instead of two 2nds if the team wants to keep Smart.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2019, 03:38:13 PM »

Offline JAH1892

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/2/25/18239490/boston-celtics-jayson-tatum-impressed-anthony-davis-and-other-links-quotes

Interesting article above imo. Playing with Tatum might be a condition of AD signing long term in Boston

The packages proposed here for a one year guarantee are way above what George and Butler went for

Smart, 4x picks and yabu for filler imo, Orr snt Morris, add baynes and Smart plus the picks. That’s 3 likely starters plus 4 cost controlled contract, more than enough

« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2019, 04:04:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/2/25/18239490/boston-celtics-jayson-tatum-impressed-anthony-davis-and-other-links-quotes

Interesting article above imo. Playing with Tatum might be a condition of AD signing long term in Boston

The packages proposed here for a one year guarantee are way above what George and Butler went for

Smart, 4x picks and yabu for filler imo, Orr snt Morris, add baynes and Smart plus the picks. That’s 3 likely starters plus 4 cost controlled contract, more than enough
George was traded for Oladipo and Sabonis.  While Tatum might someday be as good or better than Oladipo, he isn't at this point and may never be.  Now Tatum is a better prospect than Saric and Covington, but that isn't exactly the same situation given Butler wasn't in Minnesota very long and was burning bridges like crazy.

In addition, neither George nor Butler is as good as Davis.  Not even close.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip