Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 417888 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #285 on: June 10, 2013, 06:21:27 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I liked Ned but not oath breaker, Rob.  Jeor should be avenged at some point.  Tywin orchestrated the Red Wedding and manipulated the others, plain and simple.  War is hell, I suppose.

I thought the finale was weak and " Rains of Castamere" should have been the finale.

Thank God it's not the 90s.  Joffrey outfit made me think the 70's with plaid was not so bad.

« Reply #286 on: June 10, 2013, 08:23:50 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Yeah they should have started the episdode with the Red Wedding and then had the few clean up scenes after it.  The stuff with Dany, Jon, and Bran should have been last week as well as some of the stuff between Davos and Gendry.  Start off the episode with the Red Wedding, then cut to the Arya scenes with the Hound and then move to Kings Landing, Roose and Walder, Ramsey and Theon, and Stannis and Davos with the end of the episode being Jamie's return to Kings Landing.  That is more of a finale with all of the appropriate clean ups and wind downs.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #287 on: June 10, 2013, 12:23:33 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
As far as the Stark family goes, Cat was the devil.
That's because she is a Tully and the only likeable Tully in the entire series is her uncle the Blackfish.
her death at the Red Wedding was the one good point for me.

every idea/act of hers turned to complete crap and screwed over her family continuously

This is from last week, but Cat's advice actually wasn't bad - don't trust the Greyjoys, don't execute Karstark, and oh yeah, DO NOT CROSS WALDER FREY.

The problem was like basically every Stark, every time she got to actually make a decision it was a terrible one. 

Decent episode last night, the last episode is always setting things up, and with this book split in half it makes sense it'd be anticlimactic.  Looking forward to Hodor Hodoring the hell out of some White Walkers, and whatever weird Stockholm Syndrome beast Theon gets made into.  Dany becoming Essos Moses was kinda weird though - the contrast between Essos and Westeros is becoming stronger all the time, got to believe that's on purpose.

« Reply #288 on: June 10, 2013, 12:25:28 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
Oh yeah, new 90s pics if anyone's interested - Bronn:

And Tyrion:

I think my brother used to have that shirt  :)

« Reply #289 on: June 18, 2013, 05:56:57 AM »

Kiorrik

« Reply #290 on: June 18, 2013, 06:51:41 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Decent episode last night, the last episode is always setting things up, and with this book split in half it makes sense it'd be anticlimactic.  Looking forward to Hodor Hodoring the hell out of some White Walkers, and whatever weird Stockholm Syndrome beast Theon gets made into.  Dany becoming Essos Moses was kinda weird though - the contrast between Essos and Westeros is becoming stronger all the time, got to believe that's on purpose.

I want Coldhands!

« Reply #291 on: June 21, 2013, 01:34:36 AM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
I took up the advice to read Storm of Swords from page 1, and honestly, I'm completely enriched in every possible way. George R.R. Martin is an outstanding writer.

I'm currently on page 505 right now. Time to get to the season 4 part!

Thanks guys for telling me to read it from the beginning; I savored every page, paragraph, word, letter, and molecule of it!

P.S. I'm thinking of skipping book 4 (w/ help from Wikipedia and Google). Good or bad idea?
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #292 on: June 21, 2013, 01:46:43 AM »

Offline airbelinelli

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
  • Derrick Rose is year-to-year
I took up the advice to read Storm of Swords from page 1, and honestly, I'm completely enriched in every possible way. George R.R. Martin is an outstanding writer.

I'm currently on page 505 right now. Time to get to the season 4 part!

Thanks guys for telling me to read it from the beginning; I savored every page, paragraph, word, letter, and molecule of it!

P.S. I'm thinking of skipping book 4 (w/ help from Wikipedia and Google). Good or bad idea?

I just finished reading the 5th today which is awesome and I wouldnt skip the 4th. Its definitely not the fastest of the books, but you learn a lot more from reading the books and get a connection with the characters that the wiki cant give you.
CB Draft: Golden State Warriors - 14.23
PG: Bledsoe/Lin/ Harris
SG: Beal/ Henderson/ Ingram
SF: Winslow/McDermott/
PF: Turner/ Acy / Hernangomez
C: Adams/ Turner/ McRoberts
DKC Nets: http://tinyurl.com/h5mdvwj

« Reply #293 on: June 21, 2013, 01:51:34 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
I caved and am reading the books myself.  Still just partway through the second book now.  My general impression is that the books add a lot of flavor and detail to the storyline but the show is handsdown better at structuring scenes, playing up themes, and keeping such a massively broad storyline semi-coherent.  Also the toplessness comes across much better on the screen.

I feel like the books work very well as a supplement to the show but we'll see how it works when I get to the stuff the show hasn't covered yet.

BTW it's totally unrelated but airbellineli I gave you a TP for that excellent Rose sig.

« Reply #294 on: June 21, 2013, 02:51:14 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I caved and am reading the books myself.  Still just partway through the second book now.  My general impression is that the books add a lot of flavor and detail to the storyline but the show is handsdown better at structuring scenes, playing up themes, and keeping such a massively broad storyline semi-coherent.  Also the toplessness comes across much better on the screen.

I feel like the books work very well as a supplement to the show but we'll see how it works when I get to the stuff the show hasn't covered yet.

BTW it's totally unrelated but airbellineli I gave you a TP for that excellent Rose sig.

I feel the same way and is really leaning towards reading the books as well. I just think it addsore anticipation for the shownif you know whats coming but have no idea how they will execute it on TV.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #295 on: June 23, 2013, 09:33:07 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
Alright guys, I finished Storm of Swords.

My jaw is still dropping.

(sort of a book spoiler below)

rghdfghdfhhdI really like Jaime now and Tyrion more. They're cool cats. Kinda like Magic Johnson - you hate 'em cuz they're Lakers/Lannisters, but you admire them and they are so fun to read/watch.

I have a big question, though; it regards my overall happiness in the future.

Can I read A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons simultaneously?

Normally, I'd jump right into book 4, but I don't think I can: I need Khaleesi or I'll go mad. I'm even thinking of skipping book 4 completely (everyone says it's not as good anyway), using some chapter summaries at most, though. Any advice on what to do?

EDIT: Would this reading order work from a glance? http://boiledleather.com/post/25902554148/a-new-reader-friendly-combined-reading-order-for-a
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 09:48:39 PM by syfy9 »
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #296 on: June 24, 2013, 04:27:24 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Alright guys, I finished Storm of Swords.

My jaw is still dropping.

(sort of a book spoiler below)

rghdfghdfhhdI really like Jaime now and Tyrion more. They're cool cats. Kinda like Magic Johnson - you hate 'em cuz they're Lakers/Lannisters, but you admire them and they are so fun to read/watch.

I have a big question, though; it regards my overall happiness in the future.

Can I read A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons simultaneously?

Normally, I'd jump right into book 4, but I don't think I can: I need Khaleesi or I'll go mad. I'm even thinking of skipping book 4 completely (everyone says it's not as good anyway), using some chapter summaries at most, though. Any advice on what to do?

EDIT: Would this reading order work from a glance? http://boiledleather.com/post/25902554148/a-new-reader-friendly-combined-reading-order-for-a
It has been awhile since I read the two books, but I can't imagine that thing would lead you astray. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #297 on: April 07, 2014, 09:08:34 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
Pretty good opening episode.  Looks like they've done a really good job with Oberyn.  New Daario is kind of a weird adjustment though, I thought the last guy's sliminess was a good fit for the character.  New guy comes across as more of a decent, regular dude than the Dangerous Bad Boy Who Plays by His Own Rules type.

Did anybody else notice the Hound quoting Omar from the Wire?  2nd best line behind his unpostable quote about the chickens.

« Reply #298 on: April 07, 2014, 09:45:37 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The odd-couple relationship between Arya and the Hound is definitely one of my favorite parts of the show.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #299 on: April 15, 2014, 01:09:20 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Curious bout what yall think about the last episode.
I was shocked..knew it was gonna happen but not so soon