Author Topic: We should make an offer for Dirk and Parsons  (Read 5863 times)

Re: We should make an offer for Dirk and Parsons
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2015, 08:06:48 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
No.  Cuban isn't dumb

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2015, 08:06:58 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I don't think Dirk makes sense to the Celtics for reasons others have mentioned.

I was wondering what team would make sense for him though.  The Thunder have been reluctant to offer Kanter a big deal, but have threatened to match offers.  If they do give him $15 million, they will be paying the luxury tax which is something they have been reluctant to do.  So, I am thinking it would make sense to sign and trade Kanter to Dallas for Dirk.  Dallas is under the cap, Dirk only makes $8m, so the dollars should work

Dallas gets a young big that will be a part of their future.  The Thunder gets a guy who will help give them a chance to win a title.  He would match up well with Ibaka and Adams.  He will give them another scorer as well as a veteran presence who knows how to win.  Durant could leave next year, so they might as well go all in.

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2015, 08:12:39 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Where could Dirk go?

Most contenders seem to be pretty strong at PF. Already have a high caliber starting PF in place. Houston doesn't but I can't imagine Cuban wants to send Dirk to a team within his own state to win a Championship.

Washington, maybe? Otto Porter or Oubre and Nene for Dirk. Washington retains enough cap flexibility to make a run at Durant in next year's FA.

Sacramento? A WCS for Dirk based swap. Dirk + Cousins together. Sacramento have improved depth a lot. It would be a sales-job but they might be able to convince Dirk they can be a good playoff team if he joined them.

Cleveland have K-Love. LAC have B.Griffin. SAS have Aldridge. GSW have Draymond Green and a defensive system they are doubtful to want to breakup. Atlanta have Millsap. Chicago have Pau Gasol, Mirotic and Taj Gibson. Would they try to trade Pau (and picks) to Dallas for Dirk? I don't know. Memphis have Z-Bo. OKC have Ibaka + Kanter. I doubt Cuban wants to trade Dirk to OKC anyway. Milwaukee play Jabari Parker and Giannis at forward. Utah has Favors. Phoenix has Markieff Morris although they may want to trade him. Markieff for Dirk? Dirk reunite with Tyson Chandler alongside Bledsoe and B.Knight in Phoenix?

Dirk would be pretty interesting in Miami actually. A Dirk for Deng + picks swap. Dirk would be lethal alongside guards like Dragic and Wade. Miami can go small with Bosh at center and Dirk at PF. Impossible to defend. Winslow can step in and start at SF. Miami may need to give up Whiteside but if they keep him he'd be a nice alternative defensively & rebounding wise.

Dirk would be good in Toronto. I don't see what they have to give up to get him though. Not a lot of attractive pieces there outside the core guys they won't want to give up for a 37 year old.

I doubt Dirk would want to go to a rebuilding team like Orlando or Indiana. Maybe the Lakers take a run at Dirk. Try to put him together with Hibbert, Kobe and D'Angelo Russell. I don't know if Dirk would consent to that though. Still hard to see LAL making the playoffs.

GS would be awesome. He can certainly space the floor.

He could be their super David Lee off the bench with a bigger role depending on matchup.

I think Dirk is ready to take on that kind of role.

They could actually save money by trading Gerald Wallace for  him. Dirk only makes ~8 mil next year.

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2015, 08:14:24 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550
How about this 3 team trade

Boston - Parsons, M. Miller
Cleveland - Dirk, Bradley
Dallas - Varejao, Turner, Olynyk, Harris, rights to Osman and Christmas, Cle 1st

Is that enough for Dallas?

It would solve some of Boston's roster problems and Cleveland just adds to its depth (and still has Haywood who can't be traded to Dallas which is why I had to get creative).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2015, 08:21:11 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
A lot of good points on here. Overall I agree that Cuban will probably keep Dirk or trade him somewhere he wants to go. But I don't agree that Danny wouldn't want him or try to get him. Sure Dirk is too old to be good when the Celtics would hope to be good by, but that doesn't mean Ainge wouldn't trade for him. Remember when we traded for Gary Payton? That team wasn't a contender and had no real hope to be one before Gary would be done.

But if Cuban wants the option to rebuild he needs to get his pick back from us. It could even be on a 3 team deal. My thinking is that if Cuban wants to rebuild, he needs his pick back and will have to over pay for it (as its now valued because it will be more valuable once he dismantles his team)

But then again its probably all moot as I think Cuban has a philosophy that won't let him not try to buy a good team every year.

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2015, 08:25:30 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Parsons refuses to say whether he had micro fracture surgery, which he was rumored to need  I'd like to know before I start proposing trade ideas.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2015, 08:32:05 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Health notwithstanding, Parsons would be an excellent get. Dallas stands to lose him after this year if they rebuild and he opts out. He started out overpaid, but with the cap situation, he could sign a new deal and make even more. Remove him from the team and Dallas picks top-7 this year (good for them, but we still hold a future pick).

He's a solid #2 option on offense who gives you excellent 3PT shooting, good rebounding, and is a good passer as well. He's also above average defensively and entering his prime years. Better player e.g. than Khris Middleton.

Another thing, Parsons would be a fantastic fit in Stevens system.

Would love to get him.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2015, 08:39:36 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Parsons refuses to say whether he had micro fracture surgery, which he was rumored to need  I'd like to know before I start proposing trade ideas.

Obviously this would need to be released prior to any trades. If that is the case Cuban is stuck with him

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2015, 08:41:27 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

Dallas - Varejao, Turner, Olynyk, Harris, rights to Osman and Christmas, Cle 1st

It would solve some of Boston's roster problems and Cleveland just adds to its depth (and still has Haywood who can't be traded to Dallas which is why I had to get creative).

I think Dallas would demand more picks to get rid of arguably their two best players, but overall this isn't that bad.
If its realistic i'm not sure, I really don't see Dirk going anywhere, I think he will retire a Mav.. If he does it's only fair that he goes to a contender, although he already has his ring so i'm not sure he will have the same desire as other players who haven't held the trophy yet.

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2015, 09:10:58 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

I think Dallas would demand more picks to get rid of arguably their two best players, but overall this isn't that bad.
If its realistic i'm not sure, I really don't see Dirk going anywhere, I think he will retire a Mav.. If he does it's only fair that he goes to a contender, although he already has his ring so i'm not sure he will have the same desire as other players who haven't held the trophy yet.

Yeah you would think there is a Garnett/Pierce deal package of picks from some desperate team out there if theyre going to move both of them.

If it's just Dirk going to a contender, then maybe a little less.

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2015, 09:23:07 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Personally I can still see Cuban getting desperate to surround Dirk with what he can.  Maybe trade for D Williams, and go after a mid level center like Hibbert.

I've mentioned this before but I wouldn't mind if the pick carries over until the following season when we have only 1 first round pick, and the draft might be better.

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2015, 09:41:10 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123

Yeah you would think there is a Garnett/Pierce deal package of picks from some desperate team out there if theyre going to move both of them.

At some point that team may be us. Maybe not this trade, but one like it. A team rebuilding looking for picks. If we could trade what we got for KG/PP and get Dirk and Parsons you'd have to think about it. My guess is Ainge is has figured out the guys we have now that he doesn't want long term and is trying to package them with picks to make deals that get us a couple of legit playoff starting caliber guys.

At the deadline if things are looking bad for Dallas and they want to tank but are scared of finishing 9th and having to give us their pick, we should offer Sully Turner and their pick back for Dirk. Maybe more picks depending on how good Dirk looks.

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2015, 09:46:55 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

At some point that team may be us. Maybe not this trade, but one like it. A team rebuilding looking for picks. If we could trade what we got for KG/PP and get Dirk and Parsons you'd have to think about it. My guess is Ainge is has figured out the guys we have now that he doesn't want long term and is trying to package them with picks to make deals that get us a couple of legit playoff starting caliber guys.

At the deadline if things are looking bad for Dallas and they want to tank but are scared of finishing 9th and having to give us their pick, we should offer Sully Turner and their pick back for Dirk. Maybe more picks depending on how good Dirk looks.
we will not be in any position where adding Dirk (especially for Sully and their pick) would be worth it.  Dirk's at the end of his career.  would prefer to add a player that figures to be around while this team is on the upswing.

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2015, 09:49:52 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

we will not be in any position where adding Dirk (especially for Sully and their pick) would be worth it.  Dirk's at the end of his career.  would prefer to add a player that figures to be around while this team is on the upswing.
Id prefer Parsons.

It is pretty tough to make the salaries work.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2015, 09:51:30 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550

I was figuring they would probably want their pick back, but I couldn't see Boston giving it up in that trade and Cleveland doesn't have much in the way of 1sts to offer, past the one I did.  They are getting Olynyk who is a recent 1st, and looks at 3 recent young guys, plus adding Turner and Varejao who could still play.  Boston could give Dallas its pick back and take out Olynyk except that doesn't work financially and other players around Olynyk's salary would have to be included (Babb and Pressey aren't enough, maybe Young and Pressey).  That is the problem. 

That said I'm really not sure there is much more out there for Dallas better than that at this stage in the game if that is the route they want to go.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip