Author Topic: So all of a sudden we may be back to 4 picks?  (Read 11697 times)

So all of a sudden we may be back to 4 picks?
« on: March 07, 2019, 01:03:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
The clippers now look like they have a reasonable chance at making the playoffs and giving us their pick (I had assumed it was dead when they traded Harris)

I also had assumed the Memphis pick was dead with its top 8 protections. However Dallas has been tanking hard in hopes of increasing their chances of getting their pick back (top 5 protected) and Memphis has gone 6-7 in their last 13 games. The wizards are also only struggling and close to being eliminated from the playoffs 3 losses back. More interesting, Dallas still plays Memphis twice in games the two teams have opposite incentives (It is believe Memphis wants to give the pick away this year, and Dallas wants to keep their pick).

What do you all think? Possible we end up with picks 9,14, 17 and 24 or so?

Re: So all of a sudden we may be back to 4 picks?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 01:08:17 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
If the season ended today, what are the odds that Memphis pick lands outside top 8?  Like less than 10%??

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 01:30:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
If the season ended today, what are the odds that Memphis pick lands outside top 8?  Like less than 10%??

They are currently 6th worst record. I can't easily find the odds of 3 teams jumping them, but it is extremely small. The key part of this though is that they have a very reasonable chance of passing Dallas and the Wizards. Dallas is not even being competitive in their games right now and have lost 9 of 11 with all 9 losses by least 9 points (they also play Memphis twice). The Wizards are also only a game up on them and may be folding up the tents soon as they get eliminated from the playoffs.

If those two things happen, and i would be shocked if the Dallas one doesn't, we get to 30% odds of keeping the pick. If Memphis gets hot and somehow passed Pelicans or Hornets, they jump all the way ro 50% I believe.

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 01:40:07 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The clippers now look like they have a reasonable chance at making the playoffs and giving us their pick (I had assumed it was dead when they traded Harris)

The Clippers are the most fun team to watch in the NBA right now. I've been trying to call them 'This Year's Punk Rock Celtics" but nobody is getting on board.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 01:40:53 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

They are currently 6th worst record. I can't easily find the odds of 3 teams jumping them, but it is extremely small. The key part of this though is that they have a very reasonable chance of passing Dallas and the Wizards. Dallas is not even being competitive in their games right now and have lost 9 of 11 with all 9 losses by least 9 points (they also play Memphis twice). The Wizards are also only a game up on them and may be folding up the tents soon as they get eliminated from the playoffs.

If those two things happen, and i would be shocked if the Dallas one doesn't, we get to 30% odds of keeping the pick. If Memphis gets hot and somehow passed Pelicans or Hornets, they jump all the way ro 50% I believe.

thx cc, TP.

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 01:43:37 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Thanks for update celticsclay..TP.

Be interesting to see what Ainge might do with 4 first round picks. He has nowhere to put the "extra three" from a cap/roster standpoint.

I also wonder what potential backup trade ideas he has if Davis goes to LA. Hopefully they involve two or three first rounders this year as we have a full inventory.

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 01:49:43 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
That would suck if they all convey.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 01:51:30 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The Memphis pick isn't going to convey. If you use tankathon it is quite difficult to get a roll when the Memphis pick conveys .... Clippers pick conveying is good

Not sure what you're looking at

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 01:58:25 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
The Memphis pick isn't going to convey. If you use tankathon it is quite difficult to get a roll when the Memphis pick conveys .... Clippers pick conveying is good

Not sure what you're looking at

Did you read what I wrote? I've already explained this.

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 02:11:19 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

I think they're all pretty likely to all get traded.

And I think the Memphis pick is still likely to roll over, even with Dallas going for the tank.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 02:17:23 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

I think they're all pretty likely to all get traded.

And I think the Memphis pick is still likely to roll over, even with Dallas going for the tank.

I could see Danny using 1 of the picks to draft a replacement for Rozier if Kyrie re-signs. 

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 02:19:45 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

One question: I know Dallas is playing awful, but do they own their first round pick? If not, no incentive to tank balance of season.

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 02:27:10 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

One question: I know Dallas is playing awful, but do they own their first round pick? If not, no incentive to tank balance of season.

Dallas gets to keep their pick if it is in the top 5. So they actually probably have the most incentive to tank of any team in the league.
Here is an article on Ringer about it, this was part of the reason I realized we had a higher chance of getting memphis pick than previously thought.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/3/7/18254319/dallas-mavericks-lottery-odds-keep-draft-pick

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 02:27:21 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I remember a while back before the Gasol trade Grizz did want that pick conveyed this year if possible.

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 02:32:49 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I remember a while back before the Gasol trade Grizz did want that pick conveyed this year if possible.

They do but they also already shut down Jaren Jackson Jr., and Conley might be seeing reduced minutes or rest days soon. Already had a rest day this past week.

They’re still often collapsing with the lead in crunch time, so no better than 8th worst record (30% chance of conveying, as listed by OP) IMO. #9 Charlotte has 29 wins, #10 has 30.