Author Topic: 2017-2018 Red Sox Offseason & Free Agency Thread  (Read 36728 times)

2017-2018 Red Sox Offseason & Free Agency Thread
« on: November 11, 2017, 06:15:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I have a feeling this winter is going to be FULL of surprises, with moves people don't expect, moves that people will initially disagree on (lots of mixed reactions), and a good chance of Dombrowski continuing to deplete this farm system completely (like in his good'ol Detroit days... smh). Oh, and like winter of 2015, we may see big signings and/or big contracts added to this team, as the Sox will likely blow past the luxury tax this year.

And in the past few days, we've heard rumors of the Red Sox having preliminary discussions about Stanton. Well, today, the Miami Herald is reporting that the Red Sox-Stanton talks may be "heating up" and Boston could be a favorite to land him (though obviously other teams are interested too)  :o

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/fish-bytes/article184112096.html

I'd RATHER NOT though. Much rather sign JD Martinez at around 6/150M (just $$, no trade and contract lower than Stanton's remaining 10/295M), then Logan Morrison (1B) for around 3/36M (guy hit 38 HR last year and Moreland will likely leave and get paid a lot elsewhere), and then add another bullpen piece (preferably a lefty with Abad and Ross Jr. likely gone). Make no "big" trades.

I know JD Martinez is looking for a 200M deal (Boras client... YUCK), but I doubt he gets it, and his price will be a tad bit lower than expected (but obviously he'll still get a lot).

Anyways, we could use this thread to monitor the Red Sox off-season transactions/rumors, which have just begun and will only heat up between now and the beginning of December.

One thing for sure. They NEED a power bat (or 2).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: 2017-2018 Red Sox Offseason & Free Agency Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 07:43:10 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I'd go for Stanton, all-in. He's the franchise hitter we need if we want to replace Ortiz and legitimately contend again.

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 08:49:01 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I dont know. Baseball is tough; free agency just seems to be a fool’s errand a lot of the time, typically because you either sign a guy at their peak for some of their prime and all their decline, or by paying top dollar for tier 2 free agents. I worry JD martinez at age 30 is less of a sure thing than a true star like stanton at 28. Depends of course what you have to give up. But how happy are we overall with recent free agents? Price, Haey, Panda? Seems like the best players were either traded for or groomed; often the best route to success seems to be ising your dollars to stack uour farm system and be able to retain them.

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 08:55:26 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I dont know. Baseball is tough; free agency just seems to be a fool’s errand a lot of the time, typically because you either sign a guy at their peak for some of their prime and all their decline, or by paying top dollar for tier 2 free agents. I worry JD martinez at age 30 is less of a sure thing than a true star like stanton at 28. Depends of course what you have to give up. But how happy are we overall with recent free agents? Price, Haey, Panda? Seems like the best players were either traded for or groomed; often the best route to success seems to be ising your dollars to stack uour farm system and be able to retain them.

Chris Sale was a great trade acquisition. Stanton would be as well.

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 09:07:10 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

Chris Sale was a great trade acquisition. Stanton would be as well.
Not true. All depends on what we have to give up. Anthony Davis would be a great trade acquisition for the Celtics, but not if we have to give up everything to get him.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 09:11:30 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I'd go for Stanton, all-in. He's the franchise hitter we need if we want to replace Ortiz and legitimately contend again.

My GUESS is he would cost something along the lines of JBJ, ERod, Groome/Chavis (pick 1), and then 2 other solid 'B' caliber prospects. Boston then takes back most of Stanton's remaining contract.

I would really hope MIA eats up like 45M total so his remaining contract looks "better" at 10/250M. (Now he has 10/295M remaining).

Thing is, Miami would prefer getting back a young MLB player (like JBJ) AND pitching prospects, so they may want Groome. In that case, what good pitching prospects do we even have left besides Houck??  :P

My biggest fear also is that they pull a "2015" and go for Stanton AND say, Hosmer (2 big bats with huge contracts). Yuck...  >:( (by "2015", I mean when they made two big signings in Hanley and Sandoval which hasn't really worked out and Hanley has only been great 1 year, underwhelming the other 2)

I'm just not a big fan of Dombrowski. Like DET, he just empties farm systems, gives out big contracts you regret later on, win no World Series and then become mediocre with no farm system or good youth left (look at DET nowadays, with no farm and big contracts on "old guys" they want to move).

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 09:19:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Stanton is probaly costing you Devers and Benitendi and your top piching prospects. Not sure I want him and his ridiculous contract for that.

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 09:23:45 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Stanton is probaly costing you Devers and Benitendi and your top piching prospects. Not sure I want him and his ridiculous contract for that.

Oh in that case Dombrowski should hang up immediately.

But MIA has to realize they aren't getting that type of value back from any team unless they eat up like 40-50% of his remaining contract LOL.

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 10:01:53 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Yup, just sign JD Martinez who will only cost money.  Put him at DH, Hanley at first, and sign an adequate back up corner infielder.

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 10:34:46 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Yup, just sign JD Martinez who will only cost money.  Put him at DH, Hanley at first, and sign an adequate back up corner infielder.

HA! Hanley at first.

Seems like every time Hanley plays 1B a few days later you hear he's injured and then misses some games...  ::)

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 06:45:21 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
https://nesn.com/2017/11/mlb-rumors-lock-solid-certainty-red-sox-acquire-one-of-these-three-stars/

So looks like the Red Sox are a "lock-solid certainty" to land one of the three stars in the offseason (Stanton, Hosmer or JD Martinez).

Makes sense, although I hope it's JD Martinez (could be had for JUST $$$). Hosmer is overrated (not worth the 125-150M he will get and isn't really a power hitter), and Stanton's contract is massive and you'll also have to trade for him (really risky).

Red Sox are also in the mix for Japanese phenom Shohei Otani, although I think he's clearly going NYY or LAD.

The Red Sox did meet with agents of Carlos Santana and Logan Morrison today (possible Mitch Moreland replacement at 1B?). I'd like Morrison in addition to JD Martinez, as Morrison hit 38 HR last season and could be had around 3/36M (which would look like a bargain if he can hit 30+ HRs again this upcoming season). Santana I'd say no because to sign him, you'd also have to forfeit a draft pick and some international signing money.

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 06:54:09 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
https://nesn.com/2017/11/mlb-rumors-lock-solid-certainty-red-sox-acquire-one-of-these-three-stars/

So looks like the Red Sox are a "lock-solid certainty" to land one of the three stars in the offseason (Stanton, Hosmer or JD Martinez).

Makes sense, although I hope it's JD Martinez (could be had for JUST $$$). Hosmer is overrated (not worth the 125-150M he will get and isn't really a power hitter), and Stanton's contract is massive and you'll also have to trade for him (really risky).

Red Sox are also in the mix for Japanese phenom Shohei Otani, although I think he's clearly going NYY or LAD.

The Red Sox did meet with agents of Carlos Santana and Logan Morrison today (possible Mitch Moreland replacement at 1B?). I'd like Morrison in addition to JD Martinez, as Morrison hit 38 HR last season and could be had around 3/36M (which would look like a bargain if he can hit 30+ HRs again this upcoming season). Santana I'd say no because to sign him, you'd also have to forfeit a draft pick and some international signing money.

I'd love the Sox to either leave room in 2018 to make a run at Bryce Harper or put together a package for him before free agency

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 07:00:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I could see Dombrowski going for it all and try to sign both Hosmer and Martinez while trading away Hanley.

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 07:37:26 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I'd love the Sox to either leave room in 2018 to make a run at Bryce Harper or put together a package for him before free agency

Harper? I highly doubt it. He's getting 400-500M (dang..), and I think it's set he's going to either Cubs or Yankees. (Hopefully Cubs)

And, well, Machado (another star in that FA class) HATES the Red Sox, so no chance there (and we have Devers)  :P

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 07:38:52 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I could see Dombrowski going for it all and try to sign both Hosmer and Martinez while trading away Hanley.

I really hope they don't sign Hosmer.

Some think they'll acquire Stanton OR Martinez, and then sign Logan Morrison for 1B (guy hit 38 HR last year) and some added pop.

I don't think they can trade Hanley. Lots of $$ but also this is his final year of contract (unless his option vests, which it likely won't), so you really won't get much from him in a trade. DD will likely keep him.