Author Topic: NFL 2023 Offseason Thread  (Read 42957 times)

Re: NFL 2023 Offseason Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2023, 04:10:04 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Daniel Jones making 47M+ AAV is ridiculous. But that's the QB market nowadays. Insane
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2023, 04:32:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Daniel Jones making 47M+ AAV is ridiculous. But that's the QB market nowadays. Insane
it is 40 without the incentives.  Not sure what those are, but I assume if he hits them it is worth it for the Giants
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2023, 04:40:05 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Good luck with that, New York.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2023, 04:44:37 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

They’re still better off than my Broncos.

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2023, 04:51:16 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

The San Antonio Brahmas are better off than your Broncos right now.  ;)

(Sorry)

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2023, 05:18:49 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

Payton will whip them into shape.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2023, 05:22:42 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

I’m skeptical.

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2023, 05:25:51 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

I’m skeptical.

Likewise.  They have themselves an upward climb and playing in a cutthroat division won't do them any favors. 

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2023, 05:58:37 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
looks like 4 years 160 million for Jones

edit: apparently there is a potential 35 million more in incentives

Ridiculous. Sixth in QBR last season, but only 13th in passer rating, 15th in yards, and tied for 21st in touchdowns. Played four seasons and has had only one with 20+ touchdowns.

It does demonstrate how hard it is to find a high-quality quarterback, and how teams are willing to reach even when a player is not a lock to be a long-term franchise QB.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2023, 05:57:44 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Ridiculous. Sixth in QBR last season, but only 13th in passer rating, 15th in yards, and tied for 21st in touchdowns. Played four seasons and has had only one with 20+ touchdowns.

It does demonstrate how hard it is to find a high-quality quarterback, and how teams are willing to reach even when a player is not a lock to be a long-term franchise QB.
he probably won't even be a top 10 paid QB by AAV though.  QB's just make so much money
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2023, 09:17:27 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

he probably won't even be a top 10 paid QB by AAV though.  QB's just make so much money

He is 7th now but will be average once Hurt, Burrow, and Herbert get their new contracts. 

He only counts 19 against the cap this year and cap is about to explode.   (for example, the expected franchise tag for a QB is going from around 32 million this year to 41 million next year)

This is better then the Franchise tag for the Giants this season because it allows them to add  players in FA (but still not go crazy)

As someone who watched Jones all year, I am glad he is back.   He improved greatly this year.   There were some games where he carried the team in the 4th quarter to a win.   He convinced a Head Coach and GM that did not draft him that he was a QB they can win with.   And he won a playoff game.   

One more thing, the comment that "84 million guaranteed for the first two years" means there is likely an out to the contract after 2 years with a dead money cap hit.

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2023, 09:20:24 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
My guess, if Rodgers to NYJ doesn't happen, NYJ will be all over Lamar and will gladly surrender the two first rounders. Lamar is still just 25, and NYJ has said numerous times they are getting a QB this offseason. They are the one team where I feel the saying "they are a QB away" makes sense. Zach Wilson basically screwed them from a playoff spot last season on his own.

Garoppolo seems like their Plan C. But I think Jimmy G will have a lot of other suitors as is, whereas some teams are already dropping out of the Lamar sweepstakes due to his big price (both in picks and money)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2023, 10:21:34 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
My guess, if Rodgers to NYJ doesn't happen, NYJ will be all over Lamar and will gladly surrender the two first rounders. Lamar is still just 25, and NYJ has said numerous times they are getting a QB this offseason. They are the one team where I feel the saying "they are a QB away" makes sense. Zach Wilson basically screwed them from a playoff spot last season on his own.

Garoppolo seems like their Plan C. But I think Jimmy G will have a lot of other suitors as is, whereas some teams are already dropping out of the Lamar sweepstakes due to his big price (both in picks and money)

I agree that the Jets should try to do this if they don't get Aaron Rodgers.  And depending on what Green Bay may demand for Rodgers, maybe Lamar Jackson should be their first option.  The thing with Baltimore is they can just match.  The Jets have the 13th pick this year and you would expect a lower pick next year.  That may not be enough for Baltimore to let him go.  I read somewhere that they were looking for a top 6 pick this year in order not to match.

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2023, 10:33:25 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I agree that the Jets should try to do this if they don't get Aaron Rodgers.  And depending on what Green Bay may demand for Rodgers, maybe Lamar Jackson should be their first option.  The thing with Baltimore is they can just match.  The Jets have the 13th pick this year and you would expect a lower pick next year.  That may not be enough for Baltimore to let him go.  I read somewhere that they were looking for a top 6 pick this year in order not to match.

I think Rodgers will cost the Jets less in terms of trade pieces then Jackson.   I think GB is ready to move on and want out of the contract.

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2023, 10:33:31 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Thinking of trades, would Houston want Lamar for #2 and #12?  Or, are they better of taking a rookie who will at least be cost-controlled for four or five years?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes