Author Topic: Chelsea FC: Anybody still think the Celtics owners aren’t mega-rich?  (Read 4467 times)

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Raine has shortlisted bids from Todd Boehly, David Blitzer and Josh Harris, the Ricketts family and Boston Celtics owner Stephen Pagliuca as the four candidates to take over Chelsea. The Athletic reported on Thursday night that Nick Candy and Woody Johnson were out of the race to buy Chelsea. And now it is understood that the Raine Group has shortlisted the final four bids. Pagliuca, 67, is thought to be in with a real chance of buying the west London club. He owns the Celtics and co-chairs private equity group Bain Capital. He also owns a 55 per cent stake of Serie A side Atalanta.

You don’t buy Chelsea if you’re “only” worth $400 million or so.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
I feel like I'm missing some context here -- are people operating under the assumption that the ownership don't have an egregious amount of money?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I feel like I'm missing some context here -- are people operating under the assumption that the ownership don't have an egregious amount of money?

Many fans argue that our ownership group, in relative terms, is among the least rich in the NBA based upon Forbes rankings that haven’t shown Wyc as a billionaire.  It’s been used as an excuse regarding luxury tax; the owners “can’t afford it”.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar

Many fans argue that our ownership group, in relative terms, is among the least rich in the NBA based upon Forbes rankings that haven’t shown Wyc as a billionaire.  It’s been used as an excuse regarding luxury tax; the owners “can’t afford it”.

Ah. Yeah. That's silly. "can't" and "won't" are very different things.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Ah. Yeah. That's silly. "can't" and "won't" are very different things.

Oh, I agree.  The Celts are a cash cow; money will be invested to the extent that it brings even more revenue.

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Raine has shortlisted bids from Todd Boehly, David Blitzer and Josh Harris, the Ricketts family and Boston Celtics owner Stephen Pagliuca as the four candidates to take over Chelsea. The Athletic reported on Thursday night that Nick Candy and Woody Johnson were out of the race to buy Chelsea. And now it is understood that the Raine Group has shortlisted the final four bids. Pagliuca, 67, is thought to be in with a real chance of buying the west London club. He owns the Celtics and co-chairs private equity group Bain Capital. He also owns a 55 per cent stake of Serie A side Atalanta.

Yes you can.

Kiorrik

Yes you can.

Explain "yes you can".

That club costs like 4 billion or something mad

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Yes you can.

Explain "yes you can."

I don't know what the deal might be. There's no link and it's not necessary to answer you anyway.

Our owner has a proven record of managing a successful sports franchise, is very rich, and is well-known in finance, business, philanthropy, and sports. On top of that, sports franchises are valuable and highly marketable. I don't think he'd have had any problem getting financed.

Whoever provides the money gets a collateral interest or an ownership interest in the club. Though past performance is no guarantee of future returns, a major sports franchise is an asset that rarely loses market value and has historically averaged high returns. On top of the financial value of the sports franchise, there is immense prestige value to owning one and financing one. That's the short answer.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Pags is estimated to be worth almost $4 billion now.

https://gb.wallmine.com/people/34253/stephen-g-pagliuca

Kiorrik

Yes you can.

Explain "yes you can."

I don't know what the deal might be. There's no link and it's not necessary to answer you anyway.

Our owner has a proven record of managing a successful sports franchise, is very rich, and is well-known in finance, business, philanthropy, and sports. On top of that, sports franchises are valuable and highly marketable. I don't think he'd have had any problem getting financed.

Whoever provides the money gets a collateral interest or an ownership interest in the club. Though past performance is no guarantee of future returns, a major sports franchise is an asset that rarely loses market value and has historically averaged high returns. On top of the financial value of the sports franchise, there is immense prestige value to owning one and financing one. That's the short answer.

TP. That hadn't crossed my mind at all.

Re: Chelsea FC: Anybody still think the Celtics owners aren’t mega-rich?
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2022, 08:39:58 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Yes you can.

Explain "yes you can."

That’s true, but there are other bidders.  There’s a reason Chelsea was previously sold to a Russian oligarch, rather than investors “well-known in finance, business, philanthropy, and sports”.

Financial resources matter.

Re: Chelsea FC: Anybody still think the Celtics owners aren’t mega-rich?
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2022, 12:20:47 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Yes you can.

Explain "yes you can."

That’s true, but there are other bidders.  There’s a reason Chelsea was previously sold to a Russian oligarch, rather than investors “well-known in finance, business, philanthropy, and sports”.

Financial resources matter.

Sellers usually take the highest bid.