Author Topic: Jo Jo White from memory of a old player  (Read 796 times)

Jo Jo White from memory of a old player
« on: October 11, 2021, 03:23:32 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Jo Jo White was a smooth player there was a fluidness and a sort economy of motion like Sampras ,Federer ,Borg.
Now Romeo has that inner calm,that smooth change of pace almost imperceptible
.I competed  from first grade till my junior year of high school against a kid like that in every sport .He was a year older and padded almost like Romeo.His name was Charlie Egan.

So i have been a major fan from the first high lite reels viewed after the draft.
He is only 21 and i want both Romeo and Aron Nesmith to succeed.They both have the height and deceptive wingspan so critical these days..Both are under the radar as to blocking shots and rebounding.
The two past seasons of injuries and playing in the bubble has been difficult for everybody
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 07:24:26 PM by rollie mass »

Re: Jo Jo White from memory of a uld player
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 03:48:29 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
Totally agree about Romeos smoothness and economy of motion. He has deceptive athletic ability.

But....wait....are u saying u competed against JoJo White!?!?

Re: Jo Jo White from memory of a uld player
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 03:59:42 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
Jo Jo White was a smooth player there was a fluidness and a sort economy of motion like Sampras ,Federer ,Borg.
Now Romeo has that inner calm,that smooth change of pace almost imperceptible.I competed  from first grade till my junior year of high school against that kid every sport .He was a year older and padded almost like Romeo.

So i have been a major fan from the first high lite reels viewed after the draft.
He is only 21 and i want both Romeo and Aron Nesmith to succeed.They both have the height and deceptive wingspan so critical these days..Both are under the radar as to blocking shots and rebounding.
The two pasr seasons of injuries and playing in the bubble has been difficult for everybody

Do I understand correctly that you competed against JoJo?   

My favorite player from that 70's team -- actually the favorite of my childhood.  I graduated HS the year of the Suns series and that triple-OT game 5.  I listened to the OTs in a car with my friends.  Amazing memory -- haven't seen or spoken to any of those kids in 40 years, but that memory sticks.

I remember JoJo as smooth - but I have to admit that most of my JoJo memories are images that Johnny Most put in my head.  I had a transistor and a clock radio -- neither of which always came in clearly, but lying in bed at night listening to Johnny say "JoJo stops...pops...bang!" was music  -- counting his points as the game went on.   Seemed like a class guy -- I happened to walk into the Garden near him about 10 years ago. I didn't want to bug him, and didn't, probably should have. Very sad when he passed.

Re: Jo Jo White from memory of a old player
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 07:15:03 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Sorry i played for Rollie Massimino who had been hired that year after a couple NJ State finals. That childhood competition was against Charlie Egan, My junior year we won Bay State Tournament and Charlie Egan and the skinny kid me made all tournament,The following year we won 18 straight including pre season and the Tournament.Tied Wakefield for Middlesex League Title and split the series. They went on to win the Tech Tourney we got knocked out after beating undefeated Jamaica pain in quarter finals and lost in semi finals by 1 point to Saint Mary's Waltham. .He taught us how to take charges.We took so many first half that they stop whistling them our way.
I played against Cousy in one of those promotional all star games for HOOD milk and i went to Jim Loscutoff basketball camps
I was in the Honorable mention  all scholastic(all state ).i made front center page photo of Boston Globe Sports Page scoring a floater in the lane against undefeated Jamaica Plain.
Tommy liked Romeo "the kids a player"
I Remember watching all the playoffs with TV sound turned off and the radio turned up.Sam Jones came to Lexington and put on an exhibitions of hitting like a hundred straight bank shots.Then they brought out a sheet with hole and he proceeded to serve like 20 straight tennis balls threw the hole.
Almost 50 years later i called Rollie Oh Yeh .i remember you "you were the skinny kid that was all over the court"
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 07:38:16 PM by rollie mass »