Author Topic: SI Article: NBA 75th Anniversary "What Ifs"  (Read 857 times)

SI Article: NBA 75th Anniversary "What Ifs"
« on: October 11, 2021, 12:24:50 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: SI Article: NBA 75th Anniversary "What Ifs"
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 01:23:10 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Started off like a Bill Simmons article, but not as good.  Simmons' Book of Basketball had some good ones, like what if Grant Hill never signed with Fila (no ankle injuries), and what if Anthony Carter's agent didn't forget to sign his contract (Shaq doesn't end up in Miami, maybe lands in Dallas with Dirk).

A couple of things I think were overlooked here in the article worth mentioning:  Portland not drafting Julius Irving in '72 is misleading, he was already under contract with the Squires in the ABA and it's not like the NBA team that drafted him (MIL) ever got him or any compensation (at least I don't think they did).

Also Bird on landing on the Celtics, I always heard all the teams ahead of Boston in the draft tried to get Bird to agree to sign, but  he wouldn't, so they didn't risk drafting him as Bird could have reentered the draft the next year and they'd lose their Bird rights (actually got to use Bird rights for Bird!).  And Boston was willing to take the risk because they had 2 picks (#6 and #8).  So it's not like only Red thought ahead here.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 04:12:41 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 02:40:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
What if Len Bias decided not to do coke that night?

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 02:55:41 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
They choose some weird ones. 

Some others that come to mind.

What if the Lakers don't win the coin flip to win Magic?  Magic has stated he never would have gone to the Bulls and would have gone back to school.  How much different is the NBA landscape if Magic doesn't end up on the Lakers? 

A couple of lottery what ifs for Boston as well i.e. what if they land Duncan or what if they landed Durant seriously changing how that offseason would have played out. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip