Author Topic: Those other guys (Juhann and Yam)  (Read 6348 times)

Those other guys (Juhann and Yam)
« on: October 10, 2021, 09:53:51 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
Anyone keeping track of Celtics’ international prospects/projects?

Romeo, Aaron and Payton are all flashing during preseason games, and it looks like the French and Turkish leagues have started playing too.

Juhann Begarin is getting minutes for Paris. He started off with 11 points and 4 rebounds in a loss.

Yam Madar is getting about 20 minutes a game as a backup, but only averaging 4 points and 1 assist a game. He seems to be struggling with his shot and isn’t passing well either.

I didn’t check defensive stats, it was hard enough tracking down whether they were playing or not, so no idea how they’re doing on that side of the ball.

Both leagues have US players that used to be college stars or borderline NBA ability. Looks like Juhann is showing more in the early going while Yam is struggling a bit.

I liked Juhann in summer league and thought he showed more than Yam there too. Anyone else interested in their development and keeping tabs on Juhann or Yam?

Re: Those other guys (Juhann and Yam)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 11:28:12 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Definitely interested in tracking their development.

We have a few EU-based posters who post highlights and provide updates, but not sure which thread that usually happens in.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 02:39:59 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Begarin looks like he's doing better, but he's playing for a team that just got promoted to France's first division while Yam is playing for one of Europe's best teams.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 04:24:50 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Begarin looks like he's doing better, but he's playing for a team that just got promoted to France's first division while Yam is playing for one of Europe's best teams.
Indeed - the situations are very different. That Yam is being given minutes gives me confidence in what is seen in him.

Begarin is a really legit NBA athlete though. Think he can make it
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 07:53:59 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
If they play for the Celtics, I be surprised
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 08:27:41 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Indeed - the situations are very different. That Yam is being given minutes gives me confidence in what is seen in him.

Under one of the best coaches in the world (if not the best) no less! Wish we had that :-\
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 10:02:42 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Under one of the best coaches in the world (if not the best) no less! Wish we had that :-\

Little early to know what we’ve got in Udoka. The league GM survey rated him pretty highly. Each generation’s star coach has to start somewhere.

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 10:04:43 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Thanks for the reminder - I’d forgotten about those guys!

Of the two my money is still on Juhann being able to contribute down the line. Above-average NBA body and from all accounts a solid work ethic.

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 05:13:30 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I've liked what I've seen so far on both ends in the preseason. Better ball movement (having a great high-post playmaking big helps), resulting in more open shots. Less inactivity in the corners, more cutting. Defensively I've also liked how we've gone about it, except for when Kanter is in ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 04:45:29 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Juhann will contribute to the Celtics someday, hopefully as early as this time next yearl. Doubt Yam ever plays a regular season NBA game.

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 10:33:47 AM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
Juhann will contribute to the Celtics someday, hopefully as early as this time next yearl. Doubt Yam ever plays a regular season NBA game.

That was my take too after summer league. Juhann looked really raw, but not only has the athletic ability, but he seemed to improve over the 2 weeks he was here. While Yam wasn’t strong enough, so he flashed a bit early, then regressed.

Yam is playing in a tougher league now. He will have to get stronger and he has superior coaching. He needs to make a leap to be good enough to be brought back next year though.

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2021, 10:49:02 AM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
Three games in (all lost) Juhann is looking like the player we saw this summer. He’s similar in size to Romeo. Seems a little quicker, or maybe he runs around and isn’t in control as Romeo? I don’t think he’s been playing the game as long? He’s also getting some defensive counting stats like steals, but his turn overs are twice his assists and his 3pt shooting is 25%.

All those are a small sample size, but inline with where he ended up last year and this summer. He’s only taking 1-2 long range shots a game, but that’s something he has to develop if he’s going to be an NBA player. He had a game or two this summer where he hit a few when he took more 3s, so hopefully that’s something he’s allowed to do in Paris.

Without watching the game it’s hard to tell what’s causing the turn overs. Poor passing, loose handles, but he needs to flip that assist to turn over ratio.

He’s got a whole season to work on improving, but to start he looks to be in about the same place with the same warts to his game.

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2021, 11:34:37 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I have higher hopes for Juhan than for Yam. 

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2021, 01:56:20 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Me too, I think  Juhan has a great athletic base to build a game on.  Skill is much more easy to develop than raw athletic talent.   Yam has basketball IQ which I think a lot of it, is innate.

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2021, 10:52:27 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286