Author Topic: Chris Paul contract already affecting Suns? (Ayton not signed)  (Read 5485 times)

Re: Chris Paul contract already affecting Suns? (Ayton not signed)
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2021, 10:34:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Prior to the playoffs, a number of Suns fans were arguing about who they would rather see the team invest in long term - Ayton or Mikal Bridges.

Interestingly a number of them preferred Bridges (more dependable night to night) but Ayton's strong showing in the playoffs I am sure changed some minds.

It does not look like they can keep both & CP3 and Booker.
And that is what I was getting at.  Having Paul signed means they probably need to pick between Ayton and Bridges.  No Paul, you don't have to make that decision.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2021, 08:21:00 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
It's official.  No extension for Ayton.  They did extend Bridges though.  Should be interesting to see what they do with Ayton now.

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2021, 08:31:13 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Ayton wanted a max and the Suns didn't want to go that high. It isn't necessarily good business, but I don't see a world where they don't match whatever he's offered in RFA. You can't just let him go for nothing, and at the very least, you work out a s&t.

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2021, 08:51:21 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
"I love Phoenix, but I'm really disappointed we haven't really gotten a deal done yet," said Ayton last Tuesday.  "We were two wins away from winning a championship and I just really want to be respected, to be honest. To be respected like my peers are being respected by their teams."

Luka Doncic (Dallas Mavericks), Trae Young (Atlanta Hawks), Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (Oklahoma City Thunder) and Michael Porter Jr. (Denver Nuggets), all 2018 draft picks, have received max extensions, but none have reached the finals like Ayton, the No. 1 pick in the draft that year.

DEN probably overpaid for Porter (for example) and so Ayton wants PHO to overpay for him.  I am not sure if you can connect this back to the Chris Paul contract in terms of willingness to pay for Ayton or having enough money for Ayton.  5 years $172M is a lot of money for Ayton.  But they were willing to overpay for Chris Paul so I can see why Ayton thought they would overpay for him.

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2021, 09:51:29 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Any chance we go after Ayton? If the KAT plan fails he could be our backup!  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2021, 09:58:04 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
I thought they'd choose Ayton over Bridges, but it's been clear they'd have a problem keeping everyone.  We'll see if they turn down a rookie deal option in the next week -- Cam Johnson and Jalen Smith have a combined $10.5 million coming their way next year.  It'd be surprising, but not shocking, if one or both didn't get their deals picked up.

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2021, 11:13:36 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I know Timelord has a poison pill provision, but wonder if there is a way to use the large TPE and Williams to facilitate an Ayton to Boston trade.

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2021, 11:39:36 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
I know Timelord has a poison pill provision, but wonder if there is a way to use the large TPE and Williams to facilitate an Ayton to Boston trade.

We could trade Williams for Ayton straight up by using the TPE, yes.  Other small salaries could also be sent along if that’s how the negotiations went, but TL for Ayton works on its own salary-wise thanks to the TPE.

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2021, 02:25:31 PM »

Offline RJD1974

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 47

We could trade Williams for Ayton straight up by using the TPE, yes.  Other small salaries could also be sent along if that’s how the negotiations went, but TL for Ayton works on its own salary-wise thanks to the TPE.

I don't think you can use the TPE in conjunction with another player's salary.

Edit to add: https://franchisesports.co.uk/nba-tpe-explained/

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2021, 02:26:37 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

You can't.  TPEs can't be combined either. 

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2021, 02:28:42 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

You can’t aggregate a TPE with a player’s salary.  You can use a TPE to absorb a contract that fits into the TPE by itself, thus meaning you don’t need to worry about matching salaries, as long as it matches for the other team.  And that’s what this idea centers around.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 02:42:01 PM by Celtics2021 »

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2021, 03:06:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
In Ayton's 3 seasons they are 85-93 (47.75%) with him and 17-30 (36.17%) without him and in his career are 1.6 points per 100 possessions with him in the game.  So he clearly affects them in a positive way on the court, though not at an elite level

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2021, 04:40:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

You can’t aggregate a TPE with a player’s salary.  You can use a TPE to absorb a contract that fits into the TPE by itself, thus meaning you don’t need to worry about matching salaries, as long as it matches for the other team.  And that’s what this idea centers around.
Exactly. Simultaneous trades. Ayton for the TPE and then Timelord for whatever. It helps solve the poison pill issue because the Celtics can arrange the overarching trade one way and the Suns a different way to make it work for both teams.

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2021, 06:23:28 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Since 2008 there are two first round draft picks that didn’t reach extensions with their teams. Anthony Bennet and Deandre Ayton.

I think it’s looney that the Suns didn’t sign Ayton to an extension. He’s 22, he’s coming off a Finals run where he averaged 16 and 12 while anchoring the defense. Chris Paul got locked down and if he has a better series distributing the ball you could argue Aytons numbers are even better. He has the second longest streak of consecutive playoff games shooting 60% or above at 17 behind Shaq.

If you’re dishing out 60 plus million dollars next year to Paul, Bridges, and Shamet, you gotta give Deandre the money. This could greatly impact team chemistry this season

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2021, 06:43:51 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Still shock Paul got that long of a contract & money..Suns will regret it
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin