Author Topic: Magic (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Preseason Game #1 10/4/21  (Read 24138 times)

Magic (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Preseason Game #1 10/4/21
« on: October 02, 2021, 10:41:12 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at   
Orlando Magic (0-0)  at Boston Celtics (0-0)   
Monday, October 4, 2021
7:30 PM ET
Preseason Game #1, Home Game #1
TV:  NBCSB, NBA-LP
Radio: WYGM 96.9, 740 AM
TD Garden

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard
vs
Marcus Smart vs Cole Anthony

Shooting Guard
vs 
Aaron Nesmith vs Jalen Suggs

Small Forward

vs 
Jaylen Brown vs Gary Harris

Power Forward
  vs 
Jayson Tatum vs Chuma Okeke

Center

vs 
Al Horford vs Wendell Carter, Jr

Reserves
Ryan Arcidiacono
Bruno Fernando
Sam Hauser
Juancho Hernangomez
Enes Kanter
Romeo Langford
Garrison Mathews
Jabari Parker
Theo Pinson
Payton Pritchard
Josh Richardson
Dennis Schroder
Robert Williams

Injuries
Juwan Morgan (rest) out 
Grant Williams (foot) questionable

Head Coach
Ime Udoka

Reserves 
Hassani Gravett
RJ Hampton
E'Twaun Moore
Ignas Brazdeikis
Jeff Dowtin
Terrence Ross
Franz Wagner
Admiral Schofield
Moritz Wagner
Mo Bamba
Robin Lopez
Jon Teske 

Injuries
Jonathan Isaac (knee) out
Markelle Fultz  (knee) out
Michael Carter Williams (ankle)  out
Chuma Okeke (hip) questionable

Head Coach

Jamahl Mosley

Game Notes
It's hard to predict the starting lineup for the first preseason game.   I've taken a guess at the lineups for both teams but there are several other directions that both teams can go in with their starters.  The Celtics could go with a double big lineup with Al Horford at power forward and Rob Williams at center.  Or, they could go with Payton Pritchard, Dennis Schroder, or Josh Richardson instead of Aaron Nesmith.  As I said, this is only a guess. 

Whoever starts, Coach Udoka has said not to read too much into it, as he will be trying different lineups in the preseason before settling on his starters for the season.  It's pretty certain that Marcus Smart, Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum will be starters.  Al Horford has made a good case for starting so far in practices, but center is still up in the air.  Also that 5th starter is a question mark right now. 

The Magic are in a full on rebuild, having traded Aaron Gordon, Evan Fournier and Nikola Vucevic last season.   They have Jalen Suggs, who was the 5th pick in this year's draft and Franz Wagner, who was the 8th pick.  They have brought in a few veterans in Robin Lopez, Gary Harris, Michael Carter-Williams, and E'Twaun Moore to mix with their young prospects. 

Both teams have new, first time head coaches.  The Celtics brought in Ime Udoka who spent 7 years under Greg Popovich in San Antonio and one year in both Philly and Brooklyn as an assistant before joining the Celtics.  Jamahl Mosley spent 7 years with Dallas under Rick Carlisle and then 4 years with the Cavaliers and 5 years with Denver as an assistant before joining the Magic. 

The Magic have 2 young, promising players who will very likely be in the starting lineup at some point in the season but who likely won't be playing in the preseason.  Markelle Fultz suffered a torn ACL in January last season and will be out until at least December.  Jonathan Isaac tore his ACL in the Bubble and missed the entire 2020/21 season.  He will likely be back some time early in this season but I doubt he will play in this game.  Michael Carter-Williams had surgery on his ankle in August and will also miss this game.  Chuma Okeke has been dealing with soreness in his hip  and is questionable for this game.

The Celtics have started training camp fairly healthy and according to the coach are all in great shape.  Juwan Morgan is a little banged up and is expected to miss this game for rest. Grant Williams was reported as questionable on Sunday with a right foot sprain. 

What to Watch For
We really can't take much from the first game of the preseason.  There are, however, things on the Celtics we can watch for.
Pace - The Celtics were 20th last season in pace and new coach Ime Udoka has said that he is hoping to up the pace this season.  Watch for the rebounder to  bring the ball up the court and not look for the point guard every time.  Also watch for them to make quicker decisions to catch and shoot, catch and pass, or catch and move and less ball stopping. 

Defense - After being top 4 in defense in previous years, the Celtics dropped to middle of the pack last season.  They seemed to lose their edge and allowed way too  many easy baskets.  Ime Udoka has said that he wants to focus on defense and the Celtics have good defenders on the team.  It would be nice to see the team get back to lock down defense once again.

Aggressiveness
- Too often last season, the Celtics allowed themselves to be out-played by other teams.  They lost that swagger and edge that allowed them to beat a lot of talented teams in previous seasons.  Players and coach alike have said that they want to play hard and to regain their swagger and aggressive style of play. 

Improvement - You can't tell much about the rotation from the first preseason game, but we can watch individual players and look for improvements in each.  They have all had a full offseason and training camp and have all worked on different areas and it will be fun to see the results of what they have worked on this summer. 

Players to Watch

We get our first look at Dennis Schroder and Josh Richardson in Celtic green and it will be good to see how they fit with the team.  Also, the Celtics will need to see improvement from Aaron Nesmith and hopefully we will see the results of his hard work this off season.

The Magic will be looking to see what they have in Jalen Suggs, the 5th pick in this year's draft.  They also will be watching Franz Wagner, the 8th pick in this year's draft.  They also will be looking for improvement from their talented 2nd year player, Cole Anthony. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 09:24:36 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Magic (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Preseason Game #1 10/4/21
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 10:50:03 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
First. TP to FL Celts fan for the first of many game threads!
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 10:50:53 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to  Goldstar88   for being the first to  post in the game thread!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!!!

Beat the Magic!!! 

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 10:57:51 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
TP for the first game of the preseason FL

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2021, 11:01:38 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1806
Alright, let's get this preseason started!  Go Cs.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 11:03:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Go Celtics!!!!

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2021, 11:11:54 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Awesome!!! Can't wait to see the new group!

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2021, 11:46:38 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
I’m betting:

Schröder/Smart/Brown/Tatum/Horford
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 12:32:13 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
LET'S GO CELTICS!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2021, 09:23:04 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I’m betting:

That's probably the best lineup talent-wise. 

For starters, I will bet on:
Smart / Brown / Tatum / Horford / R. Williams

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2021, 09:44:08 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
LET'S GO!!! One more sleep until Celtics basketball returns!!!  ;D

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2021, 10:02:07 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
I’m betting:

I don’t like the Idea of Smart playing the SG position and he would be if Schroder is starting with him. Would rather Smart have the ball in his hand, getting teammates involved and shooting less.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2021, 01:52:40 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
TP for the 1st game thread of the year FL!

Hasn't Ime already stated that Smart is the starting point guard?
so my guess for the starters is either
Smart / J Rich / Brown / Tatum / Horford

or

Smart / Brown / Tatum / Horford / Timelord

Not a fan of Horford and timelord starting together, but I could see it happening.

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2021, 04:37:37 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

Hasn't Ime already stated that Smart is the starting point guard?

I do not think so. He has said something along the lines of, they want him with the ball in his hands more.

If Ime has said he has decided on any starters already I would be shocked.

If you’ve got a link, please share it.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2021, 05:05:46 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
I’m betting:

That's probably the best lineup talent-wise. 

Maybe.

It gives you good shot-creation, with your two best facilitators.

It allows you to put Marcus on the opponent’s best wing scorer so Brown doesn’t have to work so hard on defense.

Thirdly, it’s a quick lineup that allows you to push the tempo.

For starters, I will bet on:
Smart / Brown / Tatum / Horford / R. Williams

You’ve chosen a big lineup, which of course has a lot to recommend it.