Author Topic: Celtics Media Day 2021/Training Camp  (Read 28565 times)

Re: Boston Celtics Media Day 2021
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2021, 11:43:45 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Love Jabari Parker’s interview. He really embraces Celtic Pride. He gave a very humble interview.

Maybe he realizes he is one step away from bagging groceries.

I hope he can make a place on this team .

Haven’t you read up on Jabari…he has invested well. I don’t think this is about money.

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2021, 11:48:28 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
What do you guys make of JT’s comments re: vaccination? Seeing that Kyrie and Beal are both unvaccinated, I can’t help but feel that JT is on the same page as these two guys, them being his “mentors”.

Edit: I just read in the other thread that JT indeed got vaccinated.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 11:56:01 PM by radiohead »

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2021, 11:57:36 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Love Jabari Parker’s interview. He really embraces Celtic Pride. He gave a very humble interview.

I have a feeling Jabari could be a 10-12ppg contributor for this team. I really hope I’m right. Rooting for the guy to resurrect his career as a Celtic.

Haven’t you read up on Jabari…he has invested well. I don’t think this is about money.

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2021, 11:59:24 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Horford gushed about Schroder for about 45 seconds at the end of his interview.  He sounded legitimately excited to play with him again.
I love this. There have been questions about Schroder's attitude but if Al vouches for him, I'm excited to have him on the team. Jaylen also said "that's my guy" when Schroder walked by.

Jaylen's looking relaxed and ready to be a leader and a superstar. I got good vibes off Schroder and Richardson.

I'm really excited for this season.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2021, 12:02:00 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Sounds promising for Grant Williams:

Grant Williams said he gained weight to play center when he first got to the league & was sluggish playing the 4 at that weight last year. So he's lost 12 lbs this summer and plans to lose another 8-10 to be a better athlete & play the four more. Said he wants to be a "Baby Al."

Baby Al?  How about just a baby Ryan Gomes?  Gomes, as many no doubt recall, was a 6'-7", 2nd round pick tweener (SF/PF) who carved out a nice 6-7 year NBA run/career.  At age 23 (just), Gomes was a rookie on the Celtics and put up 7.6 pts and 4.9 rebs.  Went on to average about 10/5 for his career.    Grant will be 23 in November.  His career so far is 4 pts / 3 rebs.

Gomes played at 6'-7"/250 lbs (maybe he was not really 6'-7", I don't know).  Grant listed last season at 6'-6" and 236 lbs, maybe that was before he beefed up to play center.  So if he really is 236, I don't see how he is going to lose 20 lbs or so.  Jaylen Brown is 6'-6" and 220 lbs.  Marcus is 6'-3" and 220 lbs.  Does he want to be smaller than Jaylen?  That will be interesting.

I agree that it was silly to think he could play Center.  He best shot is as a PF.  If he can give us 10 productive minutes a night at PF, I will be happy with that.

Ryan Gomes was a much better athlete. He could play the 3/4. I’m not convinced that Grant will ever have a position where he fits.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2021, 12:20:58 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

Grant Williams said he gained weight to play center when he first got to the league & was sluggish playing the 4 at that weight last year. So he's lost 12 lbs this summer and plans to lose another 8-10 to be a better athlete & play the four more. Said he wants to be a "Baby Al."

Baby Al?  How about just a baby Ryan Gomes?  Gomes, as many no doubt recall, was a 6'-7", 2nd round pick tweener (SF/PF) who carved out a nice 6-7 year NBA run/career.  At age 23 (just), Gomes was a rookie on the Celtics and put up 7.6 pts and 4.9 rebs.  Went on to average about 10/5 for his career.    Grant will be 23 in November.  His career so far is 4 pts / 3 rebs.

Gomes played at 6'-7"/250 lbs (maybe he was not really 6'-7", I don't know).  Grant listed last season at 6'-6" and 236 lbs, maybe that was before he beefed up to play center.  So if he really is 236, I don't see how he is going to lose 20 lbs or so.  Jaylen Brown is 6'-6" and 220 lbs.  Marcus is 6'-3" and 220 lbs.  Does he want to be smaller than Jaylen?  That will be interesting.

I agree that it was silly to think he could play Center.  He best shot is as a PF.  If he can give us 10 productive minutes a night at PF, I will be happy with that.

Ryan Gomes was a much better athlete. He could play the 3/4. I’m not convinced that Grant will ever have a position where he fits.

I think the absolute best case scenario for Grant Williams would be Paul Millsap? Although they don’t have the exact same body type and I would guess Millsap has a much greater wingspan.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2021, 08:42:25 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I think the absolute best case scenario for Grant Williams would be Paul Millsap? Although they don’t have the exact same body type and I would guess Millsap has a much greater wingspan.
I was impressed with Grant.  He readily admitted that last year he was both out of shape AND got away from playing his role.  He said he worked on those two things, plus 3-point shooting.  That was his focus during the off-season.

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2021, 08:54:13 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

Paul Millsap?  Yeah, that would be great.  Millsap is listed at 6'-7", 256 lbs so about the same as Ryan Gomes.  Millsap has a 6'-10" wingspan.  FWIW, Grant Williams is also listed as having a 6'-10" wingspan.  Gomes was listed at 6'-11" wingspan so all these guys are about the same dimensions but Millsap and Gomes played at about 250 lbs.  Grant is saying he wants to play at more like 220 lbs.  Seems a bit unnecessary.  I think he is better off as a fit and tone 235 lbs or so at least.  He doesn't need to have the body of a wing, he doesn't have the skill to play wing.  If he gets on the court, it will be as an undersized PF.

And if Grant Williams can ever approach Paul Millsap, I would be absolutely stunned.  I like Grant Williams as an end of the bench guy with some versatility.  I don't see him being much more than that but I am rooting for him.

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2021, 09:08:53 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

I have not ,  agree  he sounds very sincere on his commitment to Boston which came though quite clearly with emotion. 

He looks like he lost weight and every time I see this interview I think he is starting to look a bit like a taller rocker  Chuck Berry 1970’s . :laugh:

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2021, 09:34:39 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 618
Getting Fired UP!!! Can't Wait, TPs for the page!!

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2021, 10:29:27 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Millsap might be a little lofty ceiling for Grant.  The guy average about 17 & 8 for an 8 or 9 year block. 
Yup

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2021, 10:29:51 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

I’m not convinced on Grant either. I’ll just never get able to understand an nba player ( especially a young one) being out of shape. I think it’s incredibly lame . I love how Pat Riley found this completely unacceptable. ( the one thing I like about Riley) .
  But I think Grant on court is more of a hustler than Gones Gones was constantly praised for his demeanor and maturity. I’m sure he’s an awesome dude but I always looked at Gones as one of the last guys you’d see dive for a ball.

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2021, 10:41:12 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

I have not ,  agree  he sounds very sincere on his commitment to Boston which came though quite clearly with emotion. 

He looks like he lost weight and every time I see this interview I think he is starting to look a bit like a taller rocker  Chuck Berry 1970’s . :laugh:

Took my own advice and read up on him a bit. Pretty sharp guy.

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2021, 10:55:42 AM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799

Took my own advice and read up on him a bit. Pretty sharp guy.

Just watched his interview.  I am really impressed with Jabari.  I hope he makes the team.  There will be a lot of competition for PF minutes after Tatum.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2021, 11:12:36 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Our man Kanter nailing a bunch of 3s during a workout. Would be awesome if he could do this in live action. But then Ben Simmons makes 3s when he's on his own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpkNQw8i9-c