Author Topic: Kyrie Irving Strikes Again  (Read 25403 times)

Re: Kyrie Irving Strikes Again
« Reply #285 on: October 13, 2021, 06:57:40 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 1379
  • What a Pub Should Be
I've seen some stuff on Twitter over the years but this take....

Jason Whitlock
@WhitlockJason
Is Kyrie Irving's stance on the vaccine mandate as courageous as Muhammad Ali's stance during the Vietnam War? I discuss with
@leonydusjohnson

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #286 on: October 13, 2021, 07:09:04 PM »

Offline gouki88

• Global Moderator
  • Sam Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1215
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Jason Whitlock
@WhitlockJason
Is Kyrie Irving's stance on the vaccine mandate as courageous as Muhammad Ali's stance during the Vietnam War? I discuss with
@leonydusjohnson
For gods sake!

My favourite is Donald Trump Jr. writing "Kyrie is sacrificing more than Kaepernick ever did!". If you've got insane freaks like him on your side then you should know you're in the wrong
2021 Minnesota Timberwolves:
PG: Trae Young / Jamal Murray / Jordan Clarkson
SG: Bradley Beal / Terry Rozier
SF: Bogdan Bogdanovic / Will Barton / Saddiq Bey
PF: Harrison Barnes / Aaron Gordon
C: Joel Embiid / John Collins / Mason Plumlee

« Reply #287 on: October 13, 2021, 07:26:38 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2637
Now s the time to nab Kyrie on the cheap !   ;D    ;D    ;D

« Reply #288 on: October 13, 2021, 08:08:42 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 755
Dang - losing out on that extension is rough. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.  ;)

Seriously, though, now is the time for him to put up or shut up. He'll earn a sliver of respect from me if he really takes a stand and lets $200 Million walk out the door for his anti-vaccine (which is exactly what this is) belief. He'll still be a sophomoric, faux-intellectual moron who is about as deep of a bath, but at least he'll stand for his misguided principles and beliefs at great cost to himself.

That said, even if Kyrie would come around and get the shot at this point, I'm not sure I'm offering him long-term money given these shenanigans.
GM Brad > Coach Brad

Cannibalism? Racism? Dude, that's not for us...those decisions are better left to the suits in Washington. We're just here to eat some dude!

« Reply #289 on: October 13, 2021, 08:34:11 PM »

Offline Kiorrik

• Global Moderator
  • Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1216
  • pɹɐnƃ ʇuıod
Now s the time to nab Kyrie on the cheap !   ;D    ;D    ;D

Hahahahahahaha you're killin' me :')

« Reply #290 on: October 13, 2021, 08:54:54 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 169
Waiting for let’s get Kyrie back trade proposals 🤣
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #291 on: October 13, 2021, 09:12:11 PM »

Online Moranis

• Bob Cousy
  • Tommy Points: 1280

Jason Whitlock
@WhitlockJason
@leonydusjohnson
For gods sake!

My favourite is Donald Trump Jr. writing "Kyrie is sacrificing more than Kaepernick ever did!". If you've got insane freaks like him on your side then you should know you're in the wrong
https://twitter.com/FTFonFS1/status/1448258560018706437?s=20

4 minutes and I know Nick Wright has some awful takes, but I'm all over this one.  It was spot on.
2021 Historical Draft - 5th Pick - Raptors
PG - Tiny Archibald 73, Don Buse 77, Terrell Brandon 96
SG - Chet Walker 67, Michael Cooper 87, Raja Bell 06
SF - Predrag "Peja" Stojakovic 04, Kiki Vandeweghe 87, Robert Covington 18
PF - Karl Malone 97, Spencer Haywood 73, David West 08
C - Ben Wallace 04, George Mikan 50, Al Jefferson 08

« Reply #292 on: October 13, 2021, 10:26:52 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1340
I've probably harbored more disdain for Kyrie Irving than anyone on the planet.  And it definitely detracted from my life. I'd respect his position, however, if I felt it was genuine (e.g., he spoke with professionals (doctors, scientists, etc) and made an informed decision to take an unpopular stance). 

Seems doubtful, though.  I guess it's possible he's anti-vax, but very few people are truly anti-vax, even including those for religious beliefs.  May be more likely that he sees vax mandates as a social justice issue; that fits with the data of vax hesitancy, and he is an activist (e.g., even bought George Floyd's mom a house).  Maybe those are true motivating factors.  But I can't shake the notion that he enjoys drama, needs to be the center of attention (maybe more so in BKN next to Harden and KD), is injury-prone (and may not mind resting for half a season), and has some other ulterior motive(s).

Regardless, I hope teammates/players defend his decision.  It is his body, and if we're judging his decision based on personal beliefs (interpretations of science, morality, religion, etc), then context is also important.  Pro athletes and big corporations have defended some pretty outrageous in the past, and there are countless pro athletes who have committed violent crimes and enjoying the salary and fame associated with playing on our TVs every night.

« Reply #293 on: October 13, 2021, 10:38:14 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 984
"Multiple sources with direct knowledge of Irving’s decision have told The Athletic that Irving is not anti-vaccine and that his stance is that he is upset that people are losing their jobs due to vaccine mandates. It’s a stance that Irving has explained to close teammates. To him, this is about a grander fight than the one on the court and Irving is challenging a perceived control of society and people’s livelihood, according to sources with knowledge of Irving’s mindset. It is a decision that he believes he is capable to make given his current life dynamics. “Kyrie wants to be a voice for the voiceless,” one source said." Shams Charania, The Athletic

So now, Kyrie the outspoken liberal, is protesting government control of society and is calling for a hands-off policy ?

Ultimately, the only thing that Kyrie believes in is Kyrie and all the attention he can get.
It was funny listening to Stephen A. describe how disgusted the Nets organization is with Irving.

He will get the vaccination and then make a big speech about it.
He can't stand being out of the spotlight.

Not saying it isn't so, but I'm wondering how you came to the "outspoken liberal" conclusion.  I have found Kyrie's political statements to be mostly either very strange or incoherent -- not really something akin to a clear and consistent political ideology.  Listen to him pontificate long enough and generally I think you find yourself wondering what the heck he's talking about - circles and tangents.  Anyway -- it wouldn't shock me if he's a liberal, I just haven't seen the evidence.  If he is I hope they keep him far away from the microphone at the next Dem convention.

He is a hippie spiritualist/conspiracy theorist. They can be right-wing on some issues, left-wing on others, off on Pluto on the rest. There is near-zero coherence to any of it.

I know a number of these people personally. They tend to be narcissistic and a bit slow.

« Reply #294 on: October 13, 2021, 10:39:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -26845
  • Once A CrotoNat, Always A CrotoNat
How many players in NBA history can say that they sabotaged three different franchises?  Especially while playing at an all-star level in each city?

The guy he continues to remind me of the most is Starbury. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #295 on: October 13, 2021, 10:54:05 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Ray Allen
I've probably harbored more disdain for Kyrie Irving than anyone on the planet.  And it definitely detracted from my life. I'd respect his position, however, if I felt it was genuine (e.g., he spoke with professionals (doctors, scientists, etc) and made an informed decision to take an unpopular stance). 

Seems doubtful, though.  I guess it's possible he's anti-vax, but very few people are truly anti-vax, even including those for religious beliefs.  May be more likely that he sees vax mandates as a social justice issue; that fits with the data of vax hesitancy, and he is an activist (e.g., even bought George Floyd's mom a house).  Maybe those are true motivating factors.  But I can't shake the notion that he enjoys drama, needs to be the center of attention (maybe more so in BKN next to Harden and KD), is injury-prone (and may not mind resting for half a season), and has some other ulterior motive(s).

Regardless, I hope teammates/players defend his decision.  It is his body, and if we're judging his decision based on personal beliefs (interpretations of science, morality, religion, etc), then context is also important.  Pro athletes and big corporations have defended some pretty outrageous in the past, and there are countless pro athletes who have committed violent crimes and enjoying the salary and fame associated with playing on our TVs every night.

He is a conspiracy theorist and a narcissist. A mixture of paranoia and ego. He thinks he has secret knowledge that the rest of us are not open-minded enough or spiritual enough to comprehend. He is leading and "protecting" his flock of rubes like a wannabe Jesus.

Protecting them from Big Pharma and the government. There is some justification and historical precedent of course for these feelings. But I would bet a lot of money he has little or no real comprehension of any of the science or history of vaccines, viruses etc. So let's not give him too much credit.

« Reply #296 on: October 13, 2021, 11:03:55 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Ray Allen
How many players in NBA history can say that they sabotaged three different franchises?  Especially while playing at an all-star level in each city?

The guy he continues to remind me of the most is Starbury.

Ha. TP

Fun fact: Starbury is the same age as Tom Brady.

« Reply #297 on: October 14, 2021, 01:11:44 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 763

Jason Whitlock
@WhitlockJason
@leonydusjohnson
For gods sake!

Once I saw "Jason Whitlock" it all made sense  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #298 on: October 14, 2021, 02:16:29 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 763
Dang - losing out on that extension is rough. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.  ;)

Seriously, though, now is the time for him to put up or shut up. He'll earn a sliver of respect from me if he really takes a stand and lets $200 Million walk out the door for his anti-vaccine (which is exactly what this is) belief. He'll still be a sophomoric, faux-intellectual moron who is about as deep of a bath, but at least he'll stand for his misguided principles and beliefs at great cost to himself.

That said, even if Kyrie would come around and get the shot at this point, I'm not sure I'm offering him long-term money given these shenanigans.

Apparently he's not going to be offered a $200m extension, per Shams. Though if he changes his mind I'm sure they will reconsider.

https://twitter.com/Alec_Sturm/status/1448383035972464641
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #299 on: October 14, 2021, 03:33:11 AM »

Offline JSD

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1320
I support Kyrie on this. In 1996, the NBA allowed Magic Johnson to play with full blown HIV, and now the NBA won’t allow Kyrie to play unless he gets a Covid shot? It’s utterly ridiculous.