Author Topic: Fight for Minutes this year  (Read 3274 times)

Re: Fight for Minutes this year
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2021, 08:00:07 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Pretend your Ime Udoka, and your trying to keep everyone happy.

Uh uh. No. Wrong way around. This is about winning first. If that makes players happy, great.

If the roster is 100% healthy, this is who I think should play

PG Dennis 28 mpg, Smart 12, PP 8,
SG Josh 20, Smart 20, Prichard  8,
SF Brown 35, Josh 10,
PF Tatum 36,
C Horford 24, Timelord 22

So that leaves 14 mpg for Nesmith,  Parker,  G williams,  Kanter,  Romeo, Dunn,

Tatum and Brown are playing too many minutes in your scheme. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

I don’t have any great quibble with your numbers here, but I would point out that the old-fashioned 1-5 slots has fallen out of use a long time ago. It’s not a question of filling five pre-existing slots at any one time in a game.

In particular the ‘power forward’ barely exists in today’s league.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2021, 08:08:21 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25

Uh uh. No. Wrong way around. This is about winning first. If that makes players happy, great.

SF Brown 35, Josh 10,
PF Tatum 36,

Tatum and Brown are playing too many minutes in your scheme. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

I don’t have any great quibble with your numbers here, but I would point out that the old-fashioned 1-5 slots has fallen out of use a long time ago. It’s not a question of filling five pre-existing slots at any one time in a game.

I think it's all about groups.
I don't like PP with Dennis or Josh.
So, if he plays most of his minutes with Smart, you can decide who is the PG and SG.

I am very interested to see how this works out. CBS liked to experiment with combinations. Some would like a more defined rotation.

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2021, 10:41:21 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

SF Brown 35, Josh 10,
PF Tatum 36,

That's not true. Power forward doesn't exist.  Tatum biggest advantage is in fact as a PF. He's a nightmare for slower bigger Defenders.

As far as Tatum and Brown playing too many minutes.  That's just straight facts. I mean Google it.

Tatum literally plays 36 minutes per game.  And he's 24? You want him to play less mpg?

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2021, 11:03:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

SF Brown 35, Josh 10,
PF Tatum 36,

Tatum basically played 36 mpg last year coming off of covid.  I can't see him playing less than that.  Brown was also just under 35 last year.  Again I can't see him playing less.  Both of those guys have had their minutes increase every year in the league.  I expect they are around their reasonable max
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2021, 12:27:42 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
CIU has mentioned Smart along with JB & JT in almost every interview he's given. Anyone who thinks Smart isn't starting and getting 30 minutes + is kidding yourself.

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2021, 08:58:45 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

SF Brown 35, Josh 10,
PF Tatum 36,

That's not true. Power forward doesn't exist.  Tatum biggest advantage is in fact as a PF. He's a nightmare for slower bigger Defenders.

As far as Tatum and Brown playing too many minutes.  That's just straight facts. I mean Google it.

Tatum literally plays 36 minutes per game.  And he's 24? You want him to play less mpg?

I guess someone is going to have to tell the defending champion Milwaukee Bucks that their League MVP and Finals MVP power forward either barely exists or doesn't exist at all.

This is an ongoing debate for which I know I am speaking from the minority but a good PF is still a weapon in the NBA.  There just are not all that many of them available.  If you have a good one though, it is good for the team.  Not having a good PF is less of an issue for teams that have at least one good big even if that big is a center or leans center more than PF (Gobert, Ayton, Jokic, Embiid).  The problem for the Celtics is that they don't have any good bigs, PF, Center, or hybrid.  I don't see that in any way as an advantage for the Celtics or that we benefit from being forced to play Tatum out of position for the whole game.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 09:20:04 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2021, 11:44:53 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I'm thinking Enes Kanter is going to see more minutes than projected by Timelord fans (myself included).

Williams has only played 108 games in 3 years. I remember he was diagnosed with an arterial condition in his legs his rookie season, then missed a lot of time with hip edema in year 2, then had COVID in the asterisk season.

As a starter, Williams counting stats (in around 25 mins) are very similar to Kanter's, and given how important Timelord's defense will be in a playoff run, I can see Kanter being a consistent rotation piece this year. May be nice to give Horford's legs some rest, too.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC