Author Topic: Fight for Minutes this year  (Read 3279 times)

Fight for Minutes this year
« on: August 25, 2021, 01:57:39 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 This competition for minutes is intense right now. Pretend your Ime Udoka, and your trying to keep everyone happy. If the roster is 100% healthy, this is who I think should play

PG Dennis 28 mpg, Smart 12, PP 8,
SG Josh 20, Smart 20, Prichard  8,
SF Brown 35, Josh 10,
PF Tatum 36,
C Horford 24, Timelord 22

So that leaves 14 mpg for Nesmith,  Parker,  G williams,  Kanter,  Romeo, Dunn,

Keep in mind Prichard is only playing 16 mpg in my example and he played 19 mpg last year as a rookie! So he needs even more minutes.

For me  I'm giving this minutes to Nesmith or Parker or even more minutes for Prichard.  Whoever is shooting well should get those minutes.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 10:17:20 AM by KG Living Legend »

Re: Fight for Minutes this year
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2021, 02:13:52 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
This competition for minutes is intense right now. Pretend your Ime Udoka, and your trying to keep everyone happy. If the roster is 100% healthy, this is who I think should play

PG Dennis 28 mpg, Smart 14, PP 8,
SF Brown 35, Josh 10,
PF Tatum 36,

Keep in mind Prichard is only playing 16 mpg in my example and he played 19 mpg last year as a rookie! So he needs even more minutes.

For me  I'm giving this minutes to Nesmith or Parker or even more minutes for Prichard.  Whoever is shooting well should get those minutes.

Your math is off.

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2021, 06:42:50 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523

PG Dennis 28 mpg, Smart 14, PP 8,
SF Brown 35, Josh 10,
PF Tatum 36,

Your math is off.

Math is a little off but the overall effect of the post is that it will be exciting to watch competent players fighting for minutes. Unfortunately with this team injuries will likely start impacting projected minutes pretty early on.  Guys like Langford will get a chance and there will be game to game minutes differences based on matchups, flow of the game, and performance.

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 06:48:32 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Math is off and it doesn't make sense because you are essentially saying Smart is PG with Richardson at SG, which would mean 2 minutes into the start of each half Schroder is coming off the floor.  That makes no sense.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 08:04:05 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I think it will be something more like this

PG - Schroder 30, Smart 8, Pritchard 10
SG - Smart 22, Richardson 26
SF - Brown 35, Nesmith 13
PF - Tatum 36, Parker/G. Williams 12
C - Horford 24, R. Williams 24

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 08:48:16 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Regardless on if PP starts I'd plan minutes as

PG- PP 17, Schro 26,
Smart/Edwards 5

SG- Smart 24, JR 20,
Langford 4

SF- JB 34, Nesmith 12,
JR/Langford 2

PF- JT 34, Parker 8,
GW 6

C- Horford 20, TL 20,
Parker/Kanter/GW 8

Basically first two guys you know what you want. At some positions who you bring in as a third guy depends on match ups.

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 10:00:54 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
To me it matters how Udoka sets up the fight for minutes. I was not a fan of how Stevens managed this.

Tweaking by matchup or by game circumstances is a difficult way to go for players. The NBA is a tough league, and developing a feel for a role makes a huge difference to a player at any level. I'm all for Udoka creating a competitive situation, but I prefer players to be assigned clear roles, and to have 10 games or more to work them out before considering change. That still leaves quite a bit of room for competition and adjustment.

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2021, 10:16:02 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

This contradicts all the news reports that say Smart will be the starting point guard. Yet you are only allocating him 8 minutes per game at that position. 

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2021, 10:17:39 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
To me it matters how Udoka sets up the fight for minutes. I was not a fan of how Stevens managed this.

Tweaking by matchup or by game circumstances is a difficult way to go for players. The NBA is a tough league, and developing a feel for a role makes a huge difference to a player at any level. I'm all for Udoka creating a competitive situation, but I prefer players to be assigned clear roles, and to have 10 games or more to work them out before considering change. That still leaves quite a bit of room for competition and adjustment.

Ime is already going Belichick with "know your role" quotes, so he may in fact agree with you.

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2021, 10:52:26 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

This contradicts all the news reports that say Smart will be the starting point guard. Yet you are only allocating him 8 minutes per game at that position.
I just think roster construction and talent say he won't play much at the PG spot.  Just like I'd rather have basically 0 minutes of Tatum at PF, but yet I have him only playing PF. 

If Smart is the starting PG and plays starter minutes at the position, then Schroder and/or Pritchard just aren't going to be playing much, if at all. 

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2021, 11:08:33 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I just think roster construction and talent say he won't play much at the PG spot.  Just like I'd rather have basically 0 minutes of Tatum at PF, but yet I have him only playing PF. 

If Smart is the starting PG and plays starter minutes at the position, then Schroder and/or Pritchard just aren't going to be playing much, if at all.
+1
I see it this way as well. We know PP will get minutes and we know Schroder off the bench is very effective in the league based on his runs with multiple teams. That's why I go a step farther and say start PP which gives the Jays more room to operate with Smart being a glue guy at SG. Schroder does his 6th man thing when the Jays rest.

Side note we probably can't call the 2 spot shooting guard anymore on this squad. Maybe we call it "guard stopper" if it's Smart, Rich, and Langford/Dunn all playing it.

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2021, 11:35:40 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Token reminder - Don't forget that there will be plenty of missed games throughout the season (we should know this more than anybody), so even if you have a guideline of how the full roster's minutes should be allocated, the minutes at each position will actually be quite a bit higher than 48 when you arrange them by names like this. The insinuation seems to be that Romeo, Grant, and Kanter will get 0 mpg, but that will most definitely not be the case.

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2021, 02:27:27 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
When heathy and not playing a dominate center

PG   Smart   25   Schroeder   23      
SG   Richardson   20   Smart   8   Pritchard   20
SF   Brown   35   Richardson   13      
PF   Tatum   35   Nesmith   13      
C   R Will   24   Horford   24      

I predict Smart starts and plays a lot of PG with Pritchard playing SG off the ball.

Against Big 5s Kanter will get minutes and Grant will get matchup minutes and small ball 5 when Al misses games
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2021, 02:33:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
When heathy and not playing a dominate center

PG   Smart   25   Schroeder   23      
SG   Richardson   20   Smart   8   Pritchard   20
SF   Brown   35   Richardson   13      
PF   Tatum   35   Nesmith   13      
C   R Will   24   Horford   24      

I predict Smart starts and plays a lot of PG with Pritchard playing SG off the ball.

Against Big 5s Kanter will get minutes and Grant will get matchup minutes and small ball 5 when Al misses games
IMO, Pritchard and Schroder playing together is a terrible idea

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2021, 04:09:06 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If Grant is playing 12 minutes or more we're in trouble.  He should be the guy who comes in to lose a big lead when we are up 20 in the late fourth.  I do not think we 're going to have many games like that as we are going to be a defense first team.