Author Topic: Favorite Celtics FA signing ever?  (Read 5776 times)

Favorite Celtics FA signing ever?
« on: August 24, 2021, 12:18:15 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Without the benefit of hindsight, what was your favorite Celtics free-agent signing of all time?

I was really high on Dana Barros, and of course Horford, Hayward and Kemba.  My favorite, though, was Shaq.  He was such a brilliant fit on that team, and seeing him line up with the rest of that 2011 team was amazing. It sucks that his weight and bad injury luck caught up with him, because that was clearly a championship caliber team.

Television doesn’t do the size of that man justice.  I was there opening night of that season, and he looked out sized compared to guys like KG, LeBron and Bosh.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Favorite Celtics FA signing ever?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 12:23:18 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I was in junior high at the time and he was past his prime but I was amped when Dominique signed with the Celtics.  I just remember it being a bit surreal seeing him in a Celtics jersey.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 12:29:51 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I was really, really excited about Hayward. A 27 year old wing coming off an All-Star season in the West? I thought we were taking a serious step towards banner 18.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 01:07:54 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I was in junior high at the time and he was past his prime but I was amped when Dominique signed with the Celtics.  I just remember it being a bit surreal seeing him in a Celtics jersey.

Yeh.  That was a fun one!

James Posey was a great one for that magical 2008 team.
Yup

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 01:27:00 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
PJ Brown. Knew it was a chip when he signed on.

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 01:40:20 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 983
I remember where I was when we got Horford, and literally jumped up and down on a street corner when the news flashed across my phone, so I’ll go with that.

Shaq was fun, mostly because he was a larger than life figure in Boston that year.  You never knew where he might pop up with some antic.  But he wasn't impactful enough on the court to be an All-time signing — if he had been, the Kendrick Perkins debate wouldn’t have raged for a decade.

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 01:53:00 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Pete Maravich. He was my all time favorite basketball player.  Emulated him throughout high school, down to the hair cut and floppy sox.

Just wish he could have stayed on one more season, and gotten his elusive ring.

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 01:53:25 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Got many but my favorite was Gordon Hayward…unfortunately no one knew what was coming…Rasheed Wallace, I hated when he played for other teams but was excited when he came here…
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, 02:12:05 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Somewhat recently and already stated: Shaq, Sheed, Kemba.

Somewhat recently and not already stated: Leandro Barbosa. Always liked him on Phoenix and he'd had a perfectly cromulent year with Indiana the year before he signed with us.

Not a favourite signing, but it was nice to see Gerald Green come back as well.

edit: oh! Jason Terry was fun. Forgot he was a FA signing.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 02:20:43 PM by Kernewek »
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2021, 02:25:52 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Yeah, this is an easy one for me. I had just finished 8th grade and I remember hearing the news at a local basketball camp of all places. He was always my 2nd favorite player (next to Bird) so I was so excited!

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2021, 02:29:43 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Strangely so, Nate the Great Robinson
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2021, 02:32:04 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Probably Hayward. No way could we have predicted he'd break his leg 5 minutes into his debut. Bad luck. :(
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 02:38:39 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2021, 02:32:17 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I'm older, but can't think of any other signing than Hayward that sparked the fan base.  There have been many in the past too, people forget about Barros coming home, McDaniel, Maravich, Nique, Gary Payton, and Horford to name some.  None of them brought the anticipation that Gordon brought with him though.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2021, 03:05:12 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
David West... until it fell apart. I was convinced that he was the missing piece to keeping the KG Celtics going. David West was such a better player than I thought we would be capable of adding to that roster, great off ball shooter, tenacious defender, good rebounder, but it wasn't meant to be. 

As for an FA signing that did go through it has to be Horford. Unfortunately I also thought Horford could lead to Durant so that was part of it but Horford solidified the front court after we lost KG after years of pulling my hair out watching Sullinger Olynyk and Zeller try to man the middle.

Horf also felt like it broke Boston FA stigma of no one wanting to sign here.

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2021, 03:09:53 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
David West... until it fell apart. I was convinced that he was the missing piece to keeping the KG Celtics going. David West was such a better player than I thought we would be capable of adding to that roster, great off ball shooter, tenacious defender, good rebounder, but it wasn't meant to be. 

As for an FA signing that did go through it has to be Horford. Unfortunately I also thought Horford could lead to Durant so that was part of it but Horford solidified the front court after we lost KG after years of pulling my hair out watching Sullinger Olynyk and Zeller try to man the middle.

Horf also felt like it broke Boston FA stigma of no one wanting to sign here.

Yeah, David West would have been phenomenal. If a few things went differently during that era, I really think that team could have been considered one of the best mini-dynasties of all time.  Instead, we “only” won one championship.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes