Author Topic: I still have Romeo over Nesmith  (Read 29471 times)

I still have Romeo over Nesmith
« on: August 23, 2021, 10:22:44 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think either guy is sure thing or even close to that.  But of all the skills each guy possesses, the only one we know of nba level is Romeos defense.  And I’ll be honest, I think nesmiths defense is atrocious.  His lateral quickness is enes kanter level.  It may make him unplayable.  Summer league guys were going at him.

In terms of offense, nesmith obviously has more potential.  But I’m not sure actually a good offensive player in the nba.  He needs to be a 40% shooter to have a chance, and I’m concerned about him missing wide open shots, and in that last game, he had some god awful misses.  Misses you don’t see in a pure shooter.  Not counting him out but not a sure thing.  And I don’t see anything else he can contribute on offense.

Oddly, Romeo like a week younger too.

Re: I still have Romeo over Nesmith
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 10:34:13 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Interesting! I had it the opposite. I think offense is a more valuable skill in today’s NBA and if Nesmith can hit wide open corner threes or come off screens, he’s going to eventually be a regular rotational player.

- LilRip

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 10:41:01 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Nesmith looked far better in summer league.

That may not be saying too much

But given that 3 point shooting seems to be the most valuable attribute a player can have these days, I’m going w nesmith.

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 10:42:27 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think either guy is sure thing or even close to that.  But of all the skills each guy possesses, the only one we know of nba level is Romeos defense.  And I’ll be honest, I think nesmiths defense is atrocious.  His lateral quickness is enes kanter level.  It may make him unplayable.  Summer league guys were going at him.

In terms of offense, nesmith obviously has more potential.  But I’m not sure actually a good offensive player in the nba.  He needs to be a 40% shooter to have a chance, and I’m concerned about him missing wide open shots, and in that last game, he had some god awful misses.  Misses you don’t see in a pure shooter.  Not counting him out but not a sure thing.  And I don’t see anything else he can contribute on offense.

Still waiting for Nesmith to be a consistent shooter. Until then I give the nod to Romeo too.

Romeo's 3 point line defense sets him apart from his peers. Last year he disrupted numerous shots. His arms are long. He can sag off and recover enough to be a distraction.

I noticed the player he defended would often pass the ball off rather then shoot when defended by Romeo. No other Celtic guard/wing had that kind of intimidation factor.... including Smart. I'm not saying he's a better defender than Marcus as his lateral movement isn't nearly as good. 

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 10:42:40 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Incredibly hyperbolic about Nesmith's defence
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 10:46:48 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
Of everything thing I wrote, this is what I am MOST sure about.  Go back and watch his defensive possessions (I did); guys that aren’t even nba players were picking on him.  Nesmith constantly catching up to guys on defense.  He’s lucky to stop the guy at the point of attack.

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 10:47:53 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I do not.

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 10:49:33 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
Interesting! I had it the opposite. I think offense is a more valuable skill in today’s NBA and if Nesmith can hit wide open corner threes or come off screens, he’s going to eventually be a regular rotational player.
I agree that offense more important.  And I agree that Nesmith has (much) higher offensive upside. 

But that’s why I said it the way I did.  Nesmith may be better than Romeo, but I’m not sure Nesmith is or will be a good offensive player.  I at least know Romeo can defend.  And so far, I know Nesmith can’t defend.

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 11:00:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Of everything thing I wrote, this is what I am MOST sure about.  Go back and watch his defensive possessions (I did); guys that aren’t even nba players were picking on him.  Nesmith constantly catching up to guys on defense.  He’s lucky to stop the guy at the point of attack.
You said his lateral quickness is on the same level as Enes Kanter. Frankly, that's an outlandish claim.

His later quickness is not a strong-suit, but in many games last year he showed the athleticism to cover for it on D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 11:03:35 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
You said his lateral quickness is on the same level as Enes Kanter. Frankly, that's an outlandish claim.

His later quickness is not a strong-suit, but in many games last year he showed the athleticism to cover for it on D
Hows this, his lateral quickness as a guard is on par with kanters as a big?  That’s what I meant anyway.

And I don’t want Nesmith catching up to guys at the rim once they’ve turned the corner on him.  How about he stop them at the point of attack?

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2021, 11:07:35 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306

Lateral quickness is the most overused term on this site. Players more often than not get beat because of uncertainty. His quickness and athleticism are fine. Your comparison is absurd.

I still have hope for Romeo, but he can't shoot. Shooting is the most important skill in the sport now, and Nesmith is very good at it, and Romeo isn't. If Romeo doesn't start showing he can find ways to get the ball in the bucket, I suspect we're about to watch his final season in green.

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2021, 11:17:20 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

Lateral quickness is the most overused term on this site. Players more often than not get beat because of uncertainty. His quickness and athleticism are fine. Your comparison is absurd.

I still have hope for Romeo, but he can't shoot. Shooting is the most important skill in the sport now, and Nesmith is very good at it, and Romeo isn't. If Romeo doesn't start showing he can find ways to get the ball in the bucket, I suspect we're about to watch his final season in green.
Thats cool; but your statement doesn’t mean anything.  I can do a cut up of Nesmiths defensive possessions against non nba players that shows my point.  Frankly, his lateral quickness is far from fine.

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2021, 11:36:12 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
I too like Romeo more than Nesmith, when healthy.  That Romeo couldn't make it through 5 games of summer league is what has finally soured me on him.  His body, specifically his wrist/hand, just can't take the beating it seems.  It's been nearly three years since he was first hurt in the fall of 2018 back at Indiana.  Whether or not Romeo's on the roster, he's not going to be regularly available, and I hope we can get something of value of him.  Perhaps trading Dunn and Romeo for Anderson or Nance.

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2021, 12:35:08 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Trade them both, before Brad extends them.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2021, 12:55:44 AM »

Offline rogueandpoet

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
I'm still high on both, a little more for Langford. Man he's had a tough couple of years but he seems to still be moving forward. Trade them to a subpar NBA team and in three years they will both be making scary Terry money