Author Topic: 76ers (2-0) at Celtics (3-0) Summer League Game #4 8/13/21  (Read 17425 times)

Re: 76ers (2-0) at Celtics (3-0) Summer League Game #4 8/13/21
« Reply #120 on: August 14, 2021, 07:37:08 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799
Like Bruno more and more.

I love Bruno!!!

Good to see a Celtic big not afraid of contact and can take the punishment too.   I agree with what somebody else said earlier ,  Timelord would have been knocked out early in this ruff house tussle of bigs .

Grant Williams needs to bang like Bruno if he wants to stay in NBA

GW is scared to play in the SL

Maybe Bruno's play will be a wakeup call for Grant.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #121 on: August 14, 2021, 07:44:46 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

I love Bruno!!!

Good to see a Celtic big not afraid of contact and can take the punishment too.   I agree with what somebody else said earlier ,  Timelord would have been knocked out early in this ruff house tussle of bigs .

Maybe GW should not have just sat out the SL as if he is a star or something.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 07:59:10 PM by Ogaju »

« Reply #122 on: August 14, 2021, 09:11:57 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Missed the game live, but just watched the youtube “made shots” highlights. 

I’ve been critical of Edwards but he seems like a complete NBA-level player with some great passes, drives and the 3-pt shot.

Begarin just looks comfortable out there, esp for a guy who is barely 19.

I’m high on Bruno as the throwback big who can defend, clean up around the glass, and he hustles.

Think that might be it for Romeo.  All he’s got to show for SL are two huge dunks, so what.

« Reply #123 on: August 14, 2021, 09:27:41 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think Romeo has looked way better this game.  Couple of misses he got fouled with no call.

I know people don't like him, but he was one of the three players Ime mentioned when talking about seeing what they need to from SL. In fact he was mentioned first, ahead of Pritchard and Nesmith. I get that he isn't star material, but they must really like what they see from him in terms of positioning and his ability to be part of a 5-man unit out on the floor. Even though his slashing hasn't been as advertised, he's at least improved his 3, which will go a long way in getting him minutes.

« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2021, 11:08:58 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
I also like Hauser, he could be our Duncan Robinson.

from what I understand Miami also tried to sign Hauser, luckily he chose us

« Reply #125 on: August 14, 2021, 11:21:31 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Hot takes forecasting Romeo's demise may be premature:

“I think he’s a very good player who plays the right way. There are times when he’s passive maybe, but regardless of whether it’s summer league or a league game he’s going to be in the right spot and make the right read,” said Joe Mazzulla. “He’s going to be a physical defender on and off the ball and it’s something he has to continue to work on.

“I think sometimes people mistake Romeo’s passivity for just playing the right way. The one thing he does a great job of is he is always physical defensively,” he said. “He waits for the right play to come to him and he does a good job of being patient. I thought they were a little physical with him on the dribble hand-offs and I thought he matched that physicality in the second half. He plays the right way. As much as people want guys who play the right way, I think he gets a negative connotation for doing it all the time. When people around him they play better. He was more physical in the second half.”

Indeed, Langford made his biggest dent Saturday night in the second half of a 100-80 win over Philadelphia, when the Celtics wing put together the bulk of his 13-point, 5-for-12 performance.

Mark Murphy's post-game column:
https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/08/14/0814-bh-s-celtics/

I've heard others say similar things FWIW, though it's not the consensus here.

« Reply #126 on: August 14, 2021, 11:31:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The Celtics will most likely appear in the championship game on Tuesday night at 9:00 pm ET.

Jazz, Wolves, Kings

Are all 3-0 with one game remaining. I guess whoever wins their 4th, play the Celts Tuesday?

It will be interesting to see what the league comes up with .... if more than two teams have 4-0 records

« Reply #127 on: August 14, 2021, 11:36:47 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
No team plays good without a pg... and edwards is no pg.. they just have 4-5 guys with talent and nba experience.. hopefully we trade Edwards and grant

« Reply #128 on: August 14, 2021, 11:53:22 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
The Celtics will most likely appear in the championship game on Tuesday night at 9:00 pm ET.

Jazz, Wolves, Kings

Are all 3-0 with one game remaining. I guess whoever wins their 4th, play the Celts Tuesday?

It will be interesting to see what the league comes up with .... if more than two teams have 4-0 records
Pretty sure it’s point differential. Cs are a whopping +84. Minny is +48 and NOP +45, or vice versa. So the Cs will be in the title game unless those teams win by 36 and 39 respectively.

« Reply #129 on: August 15, 2021, 12:54:25 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Also, SAC is +39, and Utah is +26. So they'd need 45+ and 58+ point wins to tie or topple us.

« Reply #130 on: August 15, 2021, 07:40:28 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

I believe this was his reason

"declined so he can continue to recover from the season after being a part of the playoff rotation for his first 2 years in the league"

https://twitter.com/jaredweissnba/status/1422607333801140227

His statement doesn't hold water. last year he played  8.3 MPG in the playoffs.   What is he recovering from splinters from the bench? 

Agents like to hide guys all the time although usually it is done prior to the draft.    Perhaps they were hoping it would be less risk if he did not play and risk exposure?  Maybe they thought this would give him a better chance for the extension.

« Reply #131 on: August 15, 2021, 08:11:03 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Hot takes forecasting Romeo's demise may be premature:

“I think he’s a very good player who plays the right way. There are times when he’s passive maybe, but regardless of whether it’s summer league or a league game he’s going to be in the right spot and make the right read,” said Joe Mazzulla. “He’s going to be a physical defender on and off the ball and it’s something he has to continue to work on.

“I think sometimes people mistake Romeo’s passivity for just playing the right way. The one thing he does a great job of is he is always physical defensively,” he said. “He waits for the right play to come to him and he does a good job of being patient. I thought they were a little physical with him on the dribble hand-offs and I thought he matched that physicality in the second half. He plays the right way. As much as people want guys who play the right way, I think he gets a negative connotation for doing it all the time. When people around him they play better. He was more physical in the second half.”

Indeed, Langford made his biggest dent Saturday night in the second half of a 100-80 win over Philadelphia, when the Celtics wing put together the bulk of his 13-point, 5-for-12 performance.

Mark Murphy's post-game column:
https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/08/14/0814-bh-s-celtics/

I've heard others say similar things FWIW, though it's not the consensus here.
Nice of him to say some positive things about Romeo, but he also was quite critical in the beginning of SL, essentially saying that Romeo hasn't taken the job of being an NBA player seriously.  Perhaps Coach Joe regretted saying that publicly and is now trying to be more positive.

« Reply #132 on: August 15, 2021, 08:20:23 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

I love Bruno!!!

Star for the Peking Ducks  :)

« Reply #133 on: August 15, 2021, 09:24:58 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

"declined so he can continue to recover from the season after being a part of the playoff rotation for his first 2 years in the league"

His statement doesn't hold water. last year he played  8.3 MPG in the playoffs.   What is he recovering from splinters from the bench? 

Agents like to hide guys all the time although usually it is done prior to the draft.    Perhaps they were hoping it would be less risk if he did not play and risk exposure?  Maybe they thought this would give him a better chance for the extension.

I think it was Smart for Brad not to play him. He shot the 3 ball at a decent clip last year and if he came into the summer league and didn’t play well, he goes from having very little trade value to none at all. He’s a league minimum quality player making $2.6M a year.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #134 on: August 15, 2021, 05:23:16 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

I think it was Smart for Brad not to play him. He shot the 3 ball at a decent clip last year and if he came into the summer league and didn’t play well, he goes from having very little trade value to none at all. He’s a league minimum quality player making $2.6M a year.

If we can sell Grant Williams as a legit end of rotation player worthy of a second round pick as value, it would be great to send him and Dunn somewhere else and duck the tax as management clearly intends. Maybe Houston is willing to take a chance on both of them via their trade exception (10M) from their Harden trade and we just leave one open roster spot?

guards: Schröder/Smart/Pritchard/Edwards
wings: Tatum/Brown/Richardson/Nesmith/Langford
bigs: Timelord/Horford/Kanter/Parker/Fernando