Author Topic: Celtics at Hawks Summer League Game #1 8/8/21  (Read 22313 times)

Re: Celtics at Hawks Summer League Game #1 8/8/21
« Reply #150 on: August 10, 2021, 03:53:14 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Game 1 assessment:

1. Pritchard looked solid, really should not play anymore this summer.  Need more PT for the others, particularly guards.

2. Romeo disappointed me in his ball handling and attacking the hoop. He needs to be more assertive, and less careless. Not sure if he is capable of pulling that off.  He needs to take more than 9 shots.  He should attack hoop as much as possible, this is his best skill.  His 3 point shot is better than most here say, but he is not going to be making them at that clip. League average is what I expect.

3. Nesmith didn't show any growth from last season.  Remains very helter skelter.  Not worried about his 1/8 3 point shooting, but if he isn't hot, what else can he do, really? 

4.  Yam was fun, but I don't see us signing him this season. Too many roster/salary considerations.  He also needs to get stronger.  BUT Ime will love his defensive pressure, so maybe he gets a spot.

5. Begarin is bigger than I thought.  Taller and heavier. I like that.  He is super athletic.  Hitting his first two 3s was a huge confidence booster.  Still quite raw. But see him developing as a wing, and even some power forward (small ball), but not making this roster. Come visit us in a year a two (if not packaged in a trade).

6.  Carson Edwards: everyone killed him. I thought he played very well. I think he is the victim of his prior track record. He actually makes good basketball decisions.  Too bad. 

5.  Virginia kid:  He will kill us on defense.  I can't believe we already signed him to a two way. Yes an elite 3 point shooter, but the bad defense will make him unplayable.

If you watched last season you would know what else nesmith brings. He earned minutes despite not making his shots early in the season because of these.

I watched every single minute.  I get it. He has a lot of energy.  He plays hard, reckless.  But it will be his jumper that makes or sinks him. That is why we drafted him 14th.  I think he will be fine for that reason.  Let us hope.

« Reply #151 on: August 10, 2021, 06:07:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Game 1 assessment:

1. Pritchard looked solid, really should not play anymore this summer.  Need more PT for the others, particularly guards.

2. Romeo disappointed me in his ball handling and attacking the hoop. He needs to be more assertive, and less careless. Not sure if he is capable of pulling that off.  He needs to take more than 9 shots.  He should attack hoop as much as possible, this is his best skill.  His 3 point shot is better than most here say, but he is not going to be making them at that clip. League average is what I expect.

3. Nesmith didn't show any growth from last season.  Remains very helter skelter.  Not worried about his 1/8 3 point shooting, but if he isn't hot, what else can he do, really? 

4.  Yam was fun, but I don't see us signing him this season. Too many roster/salary considerations.  He also needs to get stronger.  BUT Ime will love his defensive pressure, so maybe he gets a spot.

5. Begarin is bigger than I thought.  Taller and heavier. I like that.  He is super athletic.  Hitting his first two 3s was a huge confidence booster.  Still quite raw. But see him developing as a wing, and even some power forward (small ball), but not making this roster. Come visit us in a year a two (if not packaged in a trade).

6.  Carson Edwards: everyone killed him. I thought he played very well. I think he is the victim of his prior track record. He actually makes good basketball decisions.  Too bad. 

5.  Virginia kid:  He will kill us on defense.  I can't believe we already signed him to a two way. Yes an elite 3 point shooter, but the bad defense will make him unplayable.

If you watched last season you would know what else nesmith brings. He earned minutes despite not making his shots early in the season because of these.

I watched every single minute.  I get it. He has a lot of energy.  He plays hard, reckless.  But it will be his jumper that makes or sinks him. That is why we drafted him 14th.  I think he will be fine for that reason.  Let us hope.
I'm not sure why you're concerned. In his 20 games over April and May his shooting percentages were 50/42/86 in 14.5MPG. That's elite efficiency, and a much more significant sample size than one Summer League game.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #152 on: August 10, 2021, 07:27:39 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Game 1 assessment:

I'm not sure why you're concerned. In his 20 games over April and May his shooting percentages were 50/42/86 in 14.5MPG. That's elite efficiency, and a much more significant sample size than one Summer League game.

You could also throw out the first two months, and he shot .392 from three the rest of the season. His rookie year was a tale of steady improvement. Has sidestep moves, especially to his left, to get an open three, and I thought he did a good job attacking closeouts. Has a nice high-arcing 10-footer off the dribble. Uses his length.

I’m a believer. The task for him is to become a third wing who keeps a defender at home on him so that the Two Jays can operate one on one, and takes an opponent’s wing scorer on defense. Good start!

Needs a lot of work on his body, needs work on his left hand.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #153 on: August 14, 2021, 10:41:41 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Romeo was disappointing but maybe it’s for a good reason. He was working on things he’s not good at yet. Several times tried to get to the rim, mostly without success. I’d rather he succeed, of course, but my guess is he’s using these games to grow new skills. Like Jaylen’s last year of summer league, when he started trying to do the same. The initial results were … not good, but he’s come a long way.

Yam and Begharin both flashing talent that could turn into something. Imagine: we had to spend the 16th pick on Yabu and got Begharin in the 40s. In a redraft, who goes higher?

How was Romeo disappointing? 12 pts, 4ast, 6reb. Shot 4-9 from the field and 3-7 from
3pt. Also, hit a huge shot in the final minutes of the game to give Boston the lead. He was one of the few Celtics players that looked decent.

Maybe he’s suffering from the comparison to Nesmith and Pritchard. I was looking to see if Romeo could deliver 1/2 to 2/3 of what they’re doing, and ideally flash skills as a secondary creator.

For a lot of both games Romeo kind of disappeared. Didn’t really impact the game. And when he tried to create his own offense off the dribble he was pretty uncomfortable. Against Denver he was 2-4 from the field, 1 assist, 1 board in 20 minutes. 3 fouls, 2 turnovers. He did more against Atlanta, but 12 points in 30 minutes is kind of mediocre for a guy who wants to be in the rotation for a playoff team.