Author Topic: Cleveland Indians Become Cleveland Guardians  (Read 20238 times)

Re: Cleveland Indians Become Cleveland Guardians
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2021, 07:13:37 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Yeah I don't get it at all.  Pick something from the area or history or something that is just different and cool.  Guardians doesn't fit either of those.

They actually chose the guardians because the name actually has meaning and ties to the history of Cleveland. 

https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/07/23/cleveland-guardians-name-change-decision-explained

True, but it's a part of Cleveland's history that very few people outside of Cleveland know about. I think it's a bad sign for a new nickname when most people are scratching their heads and have to go do research to figure it out.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2021, 07:17:27 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Seriously, though, what’s up with the logo?

It looks like a 10 year old spent five minutes coming up with something.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2021, 07:19:15 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

Logo incorporates the headgear that the guardian statue has in Cleveland.

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2021, 07:22:33 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Logo incorporates the headgear that the guardian statue has in Cleveland.

Sloppily without any finesse.  There are a ton of art deco inspired artists who could come up with something better.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2021, 07:26:44 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
Yeah I don't get it at all.  Pick something from the area or history or something that is just different and cool.  Guardians doesn't fit either of those.

They actually chose the guardians because the name actually has meaning and ties to the history of Cleveland. 

https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/07/23/cleveland-guardians-name-change-decision-explained

True, but it's a part of Cleveland's history that very few people outside of Cleveland know about. I think it's a bad sign for a new nickname when most people are scratching their heads and have to go do research to figure it out.

Isn't that the point though?  The team is in Cleveland and represents their city.  Do you know the history of why they were called the Cleveland Indians?  Nope and neither do I but for as long as I've lived they were just called the Indians so I accepted it.  Most fans don't know why most teams are called what they are.  Some are obvious some aren't.  We just accept it because it is what it is  They will cater towards their fans and not fans of other teams since you most likely don't buy their merch.  After doing some research I understand why they chose guardians.  From a marketing perspective the names still has dians in it.  (In)dians vs (Guar)dians.  Very easy transition.  Name represents their history and Cleveland is a very proud blue collar city.  While I don't think the name is the best or the worst I think they did a good job of finding something Indians fans can live with. 

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2021, 09:37:00 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Do you know the history of why they were called the Cleveland Indians?  Nope and neither do I but for as long as I've lived they were just called the Indians so I accepted it.

The Indians are one of the few teams I do know the origin of, or at least the purported origin of.  Louis Sockalexis was the first Native to play MLB, for the Cleveland Spiders.  He’s originally from Indian Island, Maine, right outside of Bangor.

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2021, 04:22:39 PM »

• Satch Sanders

Isn't that the point though?  The team is in Cleveland and represents their city.  Do you know the history of why they were called the Cleveland Indians?  Nope and neither do I but for as long as I've lived they were just called the Indians so I accepted it.  Most fans don't know why most teams are called what they are.  Some are obvious some aren't.  We just accept it because it is what it is  They will cater towards their fans and not fans of other teams since you most likely don't buy their merch.  After doing some research I understand why they chose guardians.  From a marketing perspective the names still has dians in it.  (In)dians vs (Guar)dians.  Very easy transition.  Name represents their history and Cleveland is a very proud blue collar city.  While I don't think the name is the best or the worst I think they did a good job of finding something Indians fans can live with.

You shouldn't assume that I don't know the history of a given team.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2021, 04:39:01 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney

Lot of sensitive Karen's here.  The point is the majority of people from other cities don't know about the history of the name origin of most team they don't root for.  If your and Indians fan or an insanely huge baseball fan and knew it then good for you.  That's great.  If you are not then I highly doubt you actually knew and just want to be argumentative after you did a quick google search probably in the last year when the Indians announced they were making the change.  Either way I don't give a flip.  the person I originally address obviously didn't know and was bashing a name stating it had nothing to do with the City was incorrect and if you did minimal research you would find out they did their homework.   

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2021, 04:43:42 PM »

• Satch Sanders

Lot of sensitive Karen's here.  The point is the majority of people from other cities don't know about the history of the name origin of most team they don't root for.  If your and Indians fan or an insanely huge baseball fan and knew it then good for you.  That's great.  If you are not then I highly doubt you actually knew and just want to be argumentative after you did a quick google search probably in the last year when the Indians announced they were making the change.  Either way I don't give a flip.  the person I originally address obviously didn't know and was bashing a name stating it had nothing to do with the City was incorrect and if you did minimal research you would find out they did their homework.   

Not being a Karen, just saying that you shouldn't make assumptions.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2021, 11:47:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
https://twitter.com/GabeWasylko/status/1433590046964297733?s=19

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-Uii43WYAEAWXG?format=jpg&name=large

Same picture of the Guardian, the 2nd link shows it, the first one has the photographer who takes a lot of wonderful pictures around Cleveland.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 12:03:06 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2021, 01:24:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2021, 02:15:16 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
This is an amazing story.

https://www.cleveland.com/guardians/2021/10/cleveland-guardians-roller-derby-team-sues-baseball-club-over-name-change.html

The way it's presented, that seems pretty brazen.  I'm no expert in trademark / IP law, but two sports teams in the same city using the same trademarked name seems odd to me.

Now, the real question:  how long can the roller derby team hold out in the legal fight?  Who is paying their attorney fees?

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2021, 02:23:47 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Cleveland Spiders is looking better every day.

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2021, 02:36:21 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
My poor wife Karen.  Bad rap.

Anyway — the Boston baseball team and the Chicago one for that matter are named for socks. And just so folks don’t think there is a connection like “sock a baseball” it was originally Red Stockings.   Maybe related to garment industry but certainly not an inspirational nickname. It’s socks.

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2021, 02:46:04 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
This is an amazing story.

https://www.cleveland.com/guardians/2021/10/cleveland-guardians-roller-derby-team-sues-baseball-club-over-name-change.html

The way it's presented, that seems pretty brazen.  I'm no expert in trademark / IP law, but two sports teams in the same city using the same trademarked name seems odd to me.

Now, the real question:  how long can the roller derby team hold out in the legal fight?  Who is paying their attorney fees?

Also curious, what would be an appropriate payout be to buy the rights, both before and after?

Article says four figures was offered, so my mind jumps to a nice round $5,000, but it could have been as low as $1,000.  Whatever it is, even $10k, I'm probably turning that down too.

If it's owned by 1 person, or a collective, that changes things too.  Personally I'd probably hope for something in the $100k-$250k range (and maybe some perks, like use of a suite or lifetime tickets or something).  If I'm desperate, I'd probably sell as low as $25k and the cost for my own rebranding.  Really depends on how much I'm using it though (and going to the website, they don't look active at all), even if I'm not using it at all though, not accepting less than $25k.

But now that the baseball team actually rolled this all out already and rebranded, I probably wouldn't settle for less than a $1m.

Reminds me of the Nissan case, but that was more to do with the website than the name.  More like McDonalds and the Big Mac over in Europe.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 03:22:08 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class