Author Topic: NBA trade rumors/FA signings 2021  (Read 177853 times)

Re: NBA trade rumors/FA signings 2021
« Reply #1320 on: September 17, 2021, 08:25:36 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
The rumors of Kyrie for Simmons are interesting. You can make a pretty good case for it considering the on-court potential alone. Simmons as the third or fourth scorer, making plays for all those shooters and shoring up their defense, would make a lot of sense. Nobody would ask him to take jump shots. Kyrie could bring the shooting and creation Philly needs and they’ve got plenty of defenders. But then both teams probably have to think hard about whether thye want to trade one headache for another. Does BKLN want to risk Simmons going into a freeze in the playoffs (passing up a dunk…?); does Philly want to see Kyrie deciding he needs to go burn some sage or going sour when the Philly fans do what Philly fans do? Of course they’d also rather not help a rival that’s a real threat to their title hopes - and that may be the biggest obstacle.  Both teams would rather find a different trade partner.

But, just as a thought exercise, if if the trade did happen I think it would be won by BKLN, pretty handily.

« Reply #1321 on: September 17, 2021, 08:34:51 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
U can depend on Simmons playing every game & being there..with Kyrie, u can’t
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #1322 on: September 17, 2021, 08:42:15 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The rumors of Kyrie for Simmons are interesting. You can make a pretty good case for it considering the on-court potential alone. Simmons as the third or fourth scorer, making plays for all those shooters and shoring up their defense, would make a lot of sense. Nobody would ask him to take jump shots. Kyrie could bring the shooting and creation Philly needs and they’ve got plenty of defenders. But then both teams probably have to think hard about whether thye want to trade one headache for another. Does BKLN want to risk Simmons going into a freeze in the playoffs (passing up a dunk…?); does Philly want to see Kyrie deciding he needs to go burn some sage or going sour when the Philly fans do what Philly fans do? Of course they’d also rather not help a rival that’s a real threat to their title hopes - and that may be the biggest obstacle.  Both teams would rather find a different trade partner.

But, just as a thought exercise, if if the trade did happen I think it would be won by BKLN, pretty handily.
Honestly that is one of the rare trades where I actually think both teams get better.  Philly absolutely needs someone like Irving.  They don't have a #2 scorer and need one badly.  For all of Simmons flaws, I honestly think the fact that Harris isn't a #2 scorer is a much bigger problem for them.  They need someone that can really take scoring pressure off of Embiid, especially when Embiid is on the bench.  Harris just isn't good enough and that has been a huge problem (that is also why I can see the Sixers waiting for Lillard or Beal to ask out as they would be huge for them like Irving). 

Similarly, Irving serves a more limited purpose on the Nets given his skill set largely overlaps with Harden who is quite simply better than Irving, but they absolutely need a defender like Simmons.  They have no one (outside of Durant who they probably don't want to defend like that) that is even a + defender in their starting unit.  Adding one of the best and most versatile defenders in the sport would be massive for them. 

So I think the trade would actually benefit both teams a great deal, which is why it will never happen when dealing with a rival.  You don't want to give your rival a potential advantage on you. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1323 on: September 17, 2021, 09:00:18 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Brooklyn needs to think long and hard before trading Kyrie way. Kevin Durant is a Net for 2 main reasons:

1. He wanted to be in New York because much of his off the court business endeavors are based in NYC.

2. He wanted to play alongside his very good friend Kyrie Irving.

Trade Kyrie and the Nets then have to contend with a possible angry Durant who might ask to be traded, or worse, opt out of his contract after next season, possibly leaving the Nets with nothing to show for signing Kyrie and Durant but Ben Simmons.

« Reply #1324 on: September 17, 2021, 09:03:27 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
Brooklyn needs to think long and hard before trading Kyrie way. Kevin Durant is a Net for 2 main reasons:

1. He wanted to be in New York because much of his off the court business endeavors are based in NYC.

Trade Kyrie and the Nets then have to contend with a possible angry Durant who might ask to be traded, or worse, opt out of his contract after next season, possibly leaving the Nets with nothing to show for signing Kyrie and Durant but Ben Simmons.

I'm sure the Nets don't trade Kyrie without running it by KD first.  But one thing you've got wrong -- Durant can't opt out of his contract, other than retire.  He just signed a new extension that runs through 2026 with no options.

« Reply #1325 on: September 17, 2021, 09:11:00 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I'm sure the Nets don't trade Kyrie without running it by KD first.  But one thing you've got wrong -- Durant can't opt out of his contract, other than retire.  He just signed a new extension that runs through 2026 with no options.
Ahhh...my bad. BBR has him listed as still able to opt out after next season. TP for the correction.

« Reply #1326 on: September 17, 2021, 09:44:57 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Ahhh...my bad. BBR has him listed as still able to opt out after next season. TP for the correction.
Oh I don't think they trade him.  I also don't think they have called anyone, but I do think teams have called and asked about him and I don't think they immediately shut the door.  At least that is the impression I get from listening to people like Nick Wright who clarified his tweet on his show the next day i.e. that the Nets aren't shopping him, but teams called about him and they didn't say No immediately or firmly.  He also said, Irving's representatives (maybe not agents) absolutely told him that Irving would retire if he was traded.  That is what Irving was responding to by calling Nick a puppet.  Which also lends credence to the fact that Irving has put it out there that he would retire if he was traded because calling someone a puppet implies that Irving was pulling his strings. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1327 on: September 17, 2021, 05:47:43 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Chris Grenham: Former Hawks guard Brandon Goodwin tells me he worked out with Celtics this week. There is no training camp agreement between Boston and Goodwin yet, but there is interest from both sides. Goodwin played in 47 games with Atlanta last year, averaging 4.9 points and 2.0 assists. – via Twitter chrisgrenham
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #1328 on: September 17, 2021, 07:09:30 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Chris Grenham: Former Hawks guard Brandon Goodwin tells me he worked out with Celtics this week. There is no training camp agreement between Boston and Goodwin yet, but there is interest from both sides. Goodwin played in 47 games with Atlanta last year, averaging 4.9 points and 2.0 assists. – via Twitter chrisgrenham
A 6 footer who can't shoot - pass.

His name reminded me of Archie Goodwin. First round pick, played 4 seasons, and I thought he was slowly turning the corner towards the end. Yet he was out of the league at age 22-23. Dominated the G-League, has been merely okay in Europe. What a weird career. He was someone I liked as a freshman in Kentucky.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1329 on: September 17, 2021, 08:25:57 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

His name reminded me of Archie Goodwin. First round pick, played 4 seasons, and I thought he was slowly turning the corner towards the end. Yet he was out of the league at age 22-23. Dominated the G-League, has been merely okay in Europe. What a weird career. He was someone I liked as a freshman in Kentucky.

What is he supposed to be, our Carsen Edwards replacement? We have enough small guards as it is.

« Reply #1330 on: September 18, 2021, 08:23:28 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

What is he supposed to be, our Carsen Edwards replacement? We have enough small guards as it is.

Training camp invite so we have a backup PG on the B squad during scrimmages.  Also, not that it matters because Goodwin has zero chance to make the team, but Pritchard is 6’1” and the next smallest guy is Schröder at 6’3”, which isn’t really small for a PG.  We’re not teeming with small guards any more.

« Reply #1331 on: September 21, 2021, 04:22:28 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Exum signs with Houston "15 million for 3 years". Wacky contract structure. 2.5 non guaranteed for three years straight.

1 mill bonus for avg 15.8 minutes per game

1 mill bonus for +2.7 net rating.

Good pickup. Was really good in Olympics. Super two-way bench weapon if can stay healthy. 
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #1332 on: September 21, 2021, 04:31:48 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Exum signs with Houston "15 million for 3 years". Wacky contract structure. 2.5 non guaranteed for three years straight.

Good pickup. Was really good in Olympics. Super two-way bench weapon if can stay healthy.
These are some of the more particular statistical bonuses I've ever seen. My favourites will always be the Marcus Smart skin-fold bonuses
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1333 on: September 21, 2021, 10:04:50 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

If there was ever an agent that deserved an award it's Dante Exum's. He threw out info on the kid but only very limited video. Then he hid him from scouts and GMs being able to see him in workouts. Got media scouts like Chad Ford and others to buy into Exum's upside and greatness as a prospect. There were some very reputable sites looking at the kid as a #1 pick.

Yes, Exum got hurt a lot, but the best ability is availability and he has only played 245 games out of 554, around 44% of total games. But it was also very clear straight from the get go that Exum was nowhere close to having the talent and upside that his hype proclaim. At his best he was a very late in the rotation player on bad teams.

Yet, Dante Exum has made over $43 million in his career. Give that man's agent some kind of award. If Exum was handled normally, he may never have come close to making that much bank.

« Reply #1334 on: September 21, 2021, 03:07:25 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
U can depend on Simmons playing every game & being there..with Kyrie, u can’t

Being there physically, yes.  Mentally, not so much, particularly in the fourth quarter.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes