Author Topic: Who is most likely getting stuck like Ainge did?  (Read 7126 times)

Re: Who is most likely getting stuck like Ainge did?
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2021, 03:59:57 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I do wonder what the Sixers thoughts were when drafting Noel/Embiid/Okafor back-to-back-back.  I assume they thought competition is good, the cream will rise to the top, so we'll keep the best and just flip the others for even more assets.

Were they thinking it was going to be a James Harden in OKC situation?  Everybody will be able to get some shine, and we'll flip the odd one out for a decent enough haul?

They did successfully flip Michael Cater Williams at his peak, did they just think they'd be able to keep doing that?

How much did the mid-process regime change alter things?  Maybe Hinke could have gotten top dollar for those guys.

I do think OKC may potentially have the same problem, where they end up with nothing or pennies on the dollar for some guys simply because they have way too many of them.

Would love to see them go all in with all these picks and create an instant super team.  There's been rumors/speculation about Lillard, Zion, Beal, Simmons, KAT, Valančiūnas, Sabonis, Porzingis, Barnes, Jerami Grant, Siakam, Brogdon, Markkanen, etc.  Get 2-3 guys on the higher end of the star spectrum 1-2 on the lower end, instant contender.  They have the salaries and trade exceptions to pull off a lot of creative deals too.

I think they wanted best player available and I don’t really fault them for that. There was also very serious injury concerns with embid. The take that they couldn’t have possibly hurt Okafor or noels development with this strategy (and other things that happened) may be the worst take I have ever read on this board.