Poll

Which team will win the gold medal in men's basketball? (teams listed in alphabetical order)

Argentina
0 (0%)
Australia
0 (0%)
France
1 (50%)
Germany
0 (0%)
Italy
0 (0%)
Slovenia
0 (0%)
Spain
0 (0%)
USA
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Tokyo Olympic Games  (Read 13808 times)

Re: Tokyo Olympic Games
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2021, 10:46:50 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
If you actually watched the game you’ll understand this was more Nigeria playing way over its head than anything USA-related. They made 20-42 from 3. About three guys I’ve never heard of, one playing in Russia and the other Israel, all looked like a combination of Mark Price, Steph Curry, and Isiah Thomas.

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2021, 12:04:56 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
If you actually watched the game you’ll understand this was more Nigeria playing way over its head than anything USA-related. They made 20-42 from 3. About three guys I’ve never heard of, one playing in Russia and the other Israel, all looked like a combination of Mark Price, Steph Curry, and Isiah Thomas.
Its Nigeria.  It shouldn't matter how far over their heads they are playing.  Its like the Patriots losing to Boston College in an exhibition game. 

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2021, 12:07:40 AM »

Kiorrik

Luis Scola looks so much less punchable now that he's had a haircut.

Dunno if this link works for you folks but Australia is playing Argentina right now and it's a fun, close game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mnc4apih-_4

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2021, 12:55:22 AM »

Offline Alec14

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60

Dunno if this link works for you folks but Australia is playing Argentina right now and it's a fun, close game.

Thybulle looks really good. Too bad we traded him.

Hopefully Brad gets away from Danny's 'quantity over quality' approach to drafting

« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 01:11:28 AM by Alec14 »

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2021, 11:02:08 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Thybulle looks really good. Too bad we traded him.

Hopefully Brad gets away from Danny's 'quantity over quality' approach to drafting
we didn't exactly trade Thybulle, we selected Thybulle for Philly.  I doubt Ainge would have selected him had he not traded the pick to Philly.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2021, 03:26:25 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Slovania just steamrolled over Argentina

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2021, 08:04:32 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Luka with 48 points, 11 rebs and 5 assists on 18-29 from the floor and 6-14 from the 3pt line. This is unreal under FIBA rules!  :o

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2021, 06:13:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Luka with 48 points, 11 rebs and 5 assists on 18-29 from the floor and 6-14 from the 3pt line. This is unreal under FIBA rules!  :o
40 minute game and he still did that...
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2021, 10:25:36 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2021, 11:02:41 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
https://www.poundingtherock.com/2021/7/26/22594054/report-team-usa-players-are-frustrated-with-pop-using-spurs-offense

Welp

If this is true, then this is more of an indictment on the players than on Pop, IMO.  Pop is likely the best coach in the NBA.  Players should put their egos aside and try to buy into his system rather than tear it down.

If the idea from the start was to "let those guys [Durant and Lillard] run the show a bit more" or for the players to determine what the better ideas to run are, then Team USA should have hired a very different coach.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2021, 11:56:04 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
https://www.poundingtherock.com/2021/7/26/22594054/report-team-usa-players-are-frustrated-with-pop-using-spurs-offense

Welp

If this is true, then this is more of an indictment on the players than on Pop, IMO.  Pop is likely the best coach in the NBA.  Players should put their egos aside and try to buy into his system rather than tear it down.

If the idea from the start was to "let those guys [Durant and Lillard] run the show a bit more" or for the players to determine what the better ideas to run are, then Team USA should have hired a very different coach.

Absolutely.  Is it surprising that the women's soccer and gymnastics teams -- historically dominant -- are also struggling? I think there's probably a pattern reflecting our culture here.

And I agree with the above, Luka is so incredibly good.  I'd trade half the Celtics team for 10 years of his greatness.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2021, 11:59:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Welp

Absolutely.  Is it surprising that the women's soccer and gymnastics teams -- historically dominant -- are also struggling? I think there's probably a pattern reflecting our culture here.

And I agree with the above, Luka is so incredibly good.  I'd trade half the Celtics team for 10 years of his greatness.
I would add any and all prospective children of mine as a throw-in

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2021, 12:05:45 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Welp

I'd (respectfully) include your prospective children, as well as mine.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2021, 04:15:29 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Welp

I'd (respectfully) include your prospective children, as well as mine.
Someone ring Mark Cuban

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2021, 07:33:39 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

Welp

Not to rain on your Grandpa Simpson parade, but with regards to women's football, it's more likely that other countries are "catching up", and the women's gymnastics team is a long way from catching the Soviet Union/Russia & Romania, so not sure "historically dominant" tag really applies to the program as much as it does just to Simone Biles (who, prior to Tokyo, was already responsible for 30% of the US's gold medals on her own [plus being part of the team win in 2016, obviously] ).

Now that we've moved the facts fully out of the way, let's focus on how to blame every poor American showing on TikTok, Twitter, video games, and free agency.  ;D

(also, not basketball talk, but Olympic talk: was very surprised to see John John Florence get knocked out so early in the surfing. He was absolutely the favourite to win it, IMO.)
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.