Author Topic: Catholic ads on Celticsstrong  (Read 28593 times)

Re: Catholic ads on Celticsstrong
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2021, 07:02:27 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I have been freaking out about these ads for a long time now, but to no avail. Anti-masturbation, pro-life, priest persecution, fiery hell on earth - it’s all there, and, frankly, embarrassing for the site/Cs fans.

Byennie has been told about this and a change was supposed to be made. You can see this thread from last year:
https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=102429.0
>:(
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2021, 07:40:48 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Two ads that I see currently are:

“Break free from **** - Restoring God’s Foundation” (edit, I love how we can’t write the word p orn but can see an advertisement with the word in it).

And

“Buy a Jeep Cherokee”

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2021, 07:51:57 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I think in general ads have more to do with your browsing habits than the site itself.

I’ve been seeing them pretty much every time I’m on the site. I’m not Catholic, or really religious, so I’m not sure what it’s be about my browsing history that would put me on their radar. Nothing much in my demographics or browsing history would suggest conservatism.  Seeing an ad for seeds, which I’m told I should buy in case civilization collapses.

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2021, 07:56:28 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
It’s definitely a c-blog thing
I get “Persecuted priest summit”
And “join the catholic resistance “

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2021, 08:41:30 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Are they only when you’re on a PC / laptop?  I saw one the other day that I thought was over the top.

I mostly laugh at the ads, but they’re at best distracting and at worst offensive.  I don’t want anything that delves into politics or religion or that isn’t “family friendly” advertised on here.

But seeds?  Sure, sell me some seeds.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2021, 09:55:28 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I think in general ads have more to do with your browsing habits than the site itself.

I’ve been seeing them pretty much every time I’m on the site. I’m not Catholic, or really religious, so I’m not sure what it’s be about my browsing history that would put me on their radar. Nothing much in my demographics or browsing history would suggest conservatism.  Seeing an ad for seeds, which I’m told I should buy in case civilization collapses.

;)

I was assuming these were Google Ads, but now I see they're not. Not sure how these behave then...

And yes, as I was testing, I got a Catholic Ad lol.

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2021, 10:01:45 AM »

Kiorrik

I heavily, heavily suffer from ad/banner blindness :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banner_blindness

Happy I do, because I've literally NEVER noticed these religious ads.

Now that they've been pointed out though... LOL!

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2021, 11:06:51 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Are they only when you’re on a PC / laptop?  I saw one the other day that I thought was over the top.

I mostly laugh at the ads, but they’re at best distracting and at worst offensive.  I don’t want anything that delves into politics or religion or that isn’t “family friendly” advertised on here.

But seeds?  Sure, sell me some seeds.

I see them on both MacBook and IPhone

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2021, 01:29:28 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996

Not in Celtics Strong. I second the thread's point-- too much religious/political/anti-sexual type ads here.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2021, 08:03:52 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

In general, sure, but there are ways to disable the kinds of third party cookies that power those associations... and I can tell you that I get all the same hilarious/awful Catholicism-themed ads.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2021, 09:24:14 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I don't see any religious ads here. I have ads from an online wholesale site though.

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2021, 10:08:56 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
Just saw an ad for a Persecuted Priest Summit. Ruh-roh George, this is getting creepy!

What line do these ads need to cross before people think it's a bad idea? Showing pictures of a dead fetus?

Protecting priests from whistle blowers seems rotten. Do others disagree?

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2021, 11:38:10 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Just saw an ad for a Persecuted Priest Summit. Ruh-roh George, this is getting creepy!

What line do these ads need to cross before people think it's a bad idea? Showing pictures of a dead fetus?

Not a dead fetus, but this one was previously making the rounds:

https://dtyry4ejybx0.cloudfront.net/ads/595-1165-1441-95b4b99d-f6e9-486b-bb4c-80d013ce7ec4.jpg

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2021, 11:43:27 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I thought the idea was weird, too.  Apparently, these priests aren't "persecuted" because of wrong-doing in a religious sense, but rather for speaking out about stuff they disagree with.

https://www.complicitclergy.com/2020/09/29/our-persecuted-priests/

So, it's probably not as cringeworthy as it sounds.  But, best case, it's religious and political.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2021, 12:25:54 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
These ads are brutal. I get one's like Good vs. Evil(guess I am evil since I am not Catholic) and attacked by their bishops- Yikes, religious ads and a sports site just dont mix.