Author Topic: 2021 Draft  (Read 69225 times)

Re: 2021 Draft
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2021, 08:19:06 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I'm hoping for a Springer or Butler choice.  Still need that future PG, I feel.  I like PP, but I think he's better suited as a spark plug off the bench.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2021, 09:23:27 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Jay Huff, is another player who I have been pushing up my board. His age at almost 23 on draft night is a major concern but his fit in today's NBA is tough to over look. At 7'1 with a reported 7'5" wingspan Huff is the rare big who can provide legitimate rim protection and perimeter shooting. His 38% from 3 on 3 attempts and 83% from the line on 2 attempts is excellent for a player of his size.

Huff has current Celtic Luke Kornet are a pretty reasonable player comp as both players at 7' + shooting bigs who averaged the same 13ppg in college. I give Huff the long term prospect edge as he appears to me to be a more mobile and explosive athlete to go along with his superior length. While Huff is likely a 2nd round pick I would not be shocked if a team like the Cs surprises people and takes him in the second half of the first round base on his  fit into a position of need.     

If we're taking a big I'd rather have Filip Petrušev over Huff. He's younger and moves better with a more modern NBA game. Either could be a bust but I'd prefer Fllip over Huff.

Same. I watched  Filip Petrušev when he was at Gonzaga and he looked like Markkanen did at that age. I would also prefer him over either of the Gonzaga bigs/swings in this draft.

Excepting, of course, that Markkanen shot 43% from 3 as a freshman and Pretrusev shot 18% as a sophomore.  He's added the 3 in Europe, but his game wasn't like Markkanen's in college, as Lauri was always a sniper, with nearly a 50/50 split between 2s and 3s, compared to Pretrusev who took over 95% of his shots from 2 as a sophomore.

For me it’s more his build and the way he moves on the court. I do find it interesting that you compared his sophomore year, when he made a 3pt attempt once every 3 games, to Markkanen’s freshman season, instead of Pretrusev’s freshman year, when he averaged a 3 a game in half the minutes. Why not compare the same age seasons? Is it because on more attempts he shot a higher percentage? Rather than an attempt every 3 games? Great way to get in rhythm, that.

Now he’s putting up 3 attempts per game and hitting 42%. He’s still not camping out at the arc like Markkanen does, but higher usage and higher percentage seems like a positive trend to me. It just doesn’t fit your narrative.

I didn’t compare the same age seasons because he was a backup playing 10 minutes a game.  One shouldn’t compare high-variance backup roles to starters when looking for comparable players.

« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2021, 10:40:43 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Ok, so the Celtics have the 16th pick this year...it might be best if we tried to estimate Ainge's master plan for the J's. Nothing else matters right?

Keep them or trade one...

I want to keep both of them but, I want to win and so does Ainge.

Our team is "too young to win a title"...

The Celtics have a very limited bench...

The frontcourt isn't anything close to a championship unit...

When is it "time to go all in with the J's" and spend for a title and I don't think it's next year...maybe the year after.

Let's do a dream sequence, that is impossible, but makes a point you can't have a $35M player at every position:

(Ex.)Chris Paul 4 years ago (competent distributing vet PG)
Jaylen Brown
Jason Tatum
(Ex.)Blake Griffin 5 years ago (good shooting vet PF)
(Ex.)Thompson plays hard defense, knows his role

There's three veterans and the J's.

Fournier (Ainge may need to "pay" someone else)
Robert (?) (spent half of career on IR)
Prtichard (Small but legit off bench - cheap)
Nesmith (could be legit - cheap - bench hustle)
Grant (ok 9th guy)

Ainge has problems as Smart has to recover from whatever it is that's been messing with him this season and Walker is not the answer he was in the bubble. ...except when the Heat was hammering him in the ECF title series and the other night.

I agree with those of you who see that 16th pick getting traded for some or one of the unanswered questions above.

I don't know if Walker can get traded or, you start another PG and have him off the bench at $35M.

I know Smart could go a lot of places, but if Ainge doesn't care as 2023/4 is the "all in year" next year is Smart's final year anyways.

As this is a draft thread? Is there a draft pick at 16 who might be a 6th man or starter in the 23/24 season and will help win a title?

Why the heck not, unless they can use it for a trade that does the same thing.

Does Ainge need more young guys?

« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2021, 10:58:07 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Ok, so the Celtics have the 16th pick this year...it might be best if we tried to estimate Ainge's master plan for the J's. Nothing else matters right?

When is it "time to go all in with the J's" and spend for a title and I don't think it's next year...maybe the year after.

Let's do a dream sequence, that is impossible, but makes a point you can't have a $35M player at every position:

Jaylen Brown
Jason Tatum

Grant (ok 9th guy)

Ainge has problems as Smart has to recover from whatever it is that's been messing with him this season and Walker is not the answer he was in the bubble. ...except when the Heat was hammering him in the ECF title series and the other night.

I agree with those of you who see that 16th pick getting traded for some or one of the unanswered questions above.

I don't know if Walker can get traded or, you start another PG and have him off the bench at $35M.

I know Smart could go a lot of places, but if Ainge doesn't care as 2023/4 is the "all in year" next year is Smart's final year anyways.

As this is a draft thread? Is there a draft pick at 16 who might be a 6th man or starter in the 23/24 season and will help win a title?

A little off topic for this thread but in terms of building around the Js I really think the Cs need to reorganize their top end talent into 5 players who can share the court together. Right now (when healthy) the Cs top 5 players are Kemba, Smart, Fournier, Brown and Tatum. Replacing Kemba, Smart of Fournier with an equal talent capable of playing the 5 or a small ball 5 is really important moving forward.

Scottie Barnes is a player in this draft who could perfectly fit this role. I am not sure that the Celtics are going to have the assets or the willingness to make a major move for such a young player but (while I still have major reservations with trading him) in theory a Smart + pick for Barnes trade could be an excellent long term move. His potential as a defender and creator at 6'9 230 with elite length would fit perfectly with the Js.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2021, 11:31:23 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I'm hoping for a Springer or Butler choice.  Still need that future PG, I feel.  I like PP, but I think he's better suited as a spark plug off the bench.

What about Yam?

I think Yam has a higher ceiling than PP. Who I agree is better suited as a bench sparkplug like Brunson/Herro

Celts biggest need is a legit big. Or a better Olynyk who can shoot/pass and play better D

This type of big has been missing from Brad lineup since KO, Horford left

« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2021, 12:04:24 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Butler appeals to me too for this team.  (if trades, shakeup, etc..)

Interesting if someone could compare Springer, Butler and Tre Mann and tell me who's best among them...guessing Butler is the now guy, Mann is the maybe later guy, and Springer...?

« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2021, 08:37:53 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

Jaylen Brown
Jason Tatum

Grant (ok 9th guy)

A little off topic for this thread but in terms of building around the Js I really think the Cs need to reorganize their top end talent into 5 players who can share the court together. Right now (when healthy) the Cs top 5 players are Kemba, Smart, Fournier, Brown and Tatum. Replacing Kemba, Smart of Fournier with an equal talent capable of playing the 5 or a small ball 5 is really important moving forward.

Scottie Barnes is a player in this draft who could perfectly fit this role. I am not sure that the Celtics are going to have the assets or the willingness to make a major move for such a young player but (while I still have major reservations with trading him) in theory a Smart + pick for Barnes trade could be an excellent long term move. His potential as a defender and creator at 6'9 230 with elite length would fit perfectly with the Js.

well, barnes shoots 27.5% from 3 point land and 65% FT. neither of these stats bode well for him. he plays under the basket or is not an offensive threat it would seem.

he does seem to be a good passer though.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2021, 08:55:56 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I'm very interested in this kid, Alperen Şengün. He's probably gonna get picked too high for us. Maybe too young for us to wait a couple of years for.

« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2021, 09:42:48 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm very interested in this kid, Alperen Şengün. He's probably gonna get picked too high for us. Maybe too young for us to wait a couple of years for.
I've seen him mocked anywhere from lottery to 2nd round. Weird
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2021, 10:15:45 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I've seen him mocked anywhere from lottery to 2nd round. Weird

There are a bunch of guys I like in this draft that aren't even listed in any mocks that I can find. There's a ton of talent in this draft.

« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2021, 10:45:13 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Celts should try to trade up for Scottie Barnes

I like Barnes (trade up) and Josh Christopher with Celts own pick

« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2021, 12:02:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
We have so many needs:

Replacement Starting PG
Starting Power Forward
Decent back up Center, who can cover strong centers like Embiid, Jokic

I think Danny will package Smart  with our first round pick to fill one of those needs (hopefully a really good starting point guard), and work out a trade in which we give up Kemba and get back Al Horford.  I think Al would be a very  good center for us, backing up Rob or starting situationally.

We must re-sign Fournier; he can shoot and create, and his defense is better than was expected.  He is a good decision maker.  His only vice is jumping before he makes the decision to pass, but that can be fixed, and he manages to pull it off).

We need to get bigger.  And more experienced.

« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2021, 12:08:07 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
We have so many needs:

Replacement Starting PG
Starting Power Forward

I think Danny will package Smart  with our first round pick to fill one of those needs (hopefully a really good starting point guard), and work out a trade in which we give up Kemba and get back Al Horford.  I think Al would be a very  good center for us, backing up Rob or starting situationally.

We must re-sign Fournier; he can shoot and create, and his defense is better than was expected.  He is a good decision maker.  His only vice is jumping before he makes the decision to pass, but that can be fixed, and he manages to pull it off).

We need to get bigger.  And more experienced.
we could use Horford if he was the player he was when he first came here.  he's a long way from that.  We could use a player like that though.  figure one or more of the following players will be gone in deals to make the team fit together better: Smart, Kemba, TT. 

« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2021, 01:35:53 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 82
We have so many needs:

Replacement Starting PG
Starting Power Forward

I think Danny will package Smart  with our first round pick to fill one of those needs (hopefully a really good starting point guard)...

Any thoughts on who player would be?  Smart plus the 16th pick should get us someone young, but with potential.

Here's who I see as an even talent-swap.  Not saying their teams would agree...

Dejounte Murray
John Collins
De'aron Fox (if we also included someone like Romeo, Nesmith, or Pritchard)
Domontis Sabonis

« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2021, 02:06:03 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
We have so many needs:

Replacement Starting PG
Starting Power Forward

I think Danny will package Smart  with our first round pick to fill one of those needs (hopefully a really good starting point guard)...

Any thoughts on who player would be?  Smart plus the 16th pick should get us someone young, but with potential.

Here's who I see as an even talent-swap.  Not saying their teams would agree...

Dejounte Murray
John Collins
De'aron Fox (if we also included someone like Romeo, Nesmith, or Pritchard)
Domontis Sabonis

Lonzo Ball, in a sign and trade.