Author Topic: 2021 Draft  (Read 68060 times)

Re: 2021 Draft
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2021, 08:05:20 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
You highlighted Jaden Springer.  I've watched quite a bit of him and would like to offer my thoughts.

He's an average athlete.  He isn't going to blow by or jump over guys too often, but he does have excellent body control.  He finds space by slithering through cracks and bouncing off of defenders, and is a solid finisher even through contact.  That said, I'm not sure this approach will work as well in the NBA against bigger, longer athletes.  Even in college he struggled to create his shot at times and could cough up some ugly turnovers by getting himself swarmed in the paint. 

Solid handle.  Willing but sometimes mistake-prone passer.  Willing defender.  He shot well from three this season, but I'm wary of the very small sample (only 46 attempts).  Still, the form looks good. 

Ultimately, the shot is the most important thing.  JJ Redick has had a very good NBA career, after all.  So if that 43% three ball is even close to legit, then he's a useful player for a long time.  But if he turns out to be a decent shooter instead of a great one, then I'm not sure the rest of the profile is enough to get him on the court at the NBA level. 

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2021, 02:30:26 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Neemias Queta looks like an absolute monster. This draft is going to have a lot of really good players in it.

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2021, 05:47:20 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Queta is kind of a low rent Embiid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdGaezS0x8I

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2021, 05:57:07 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Neemias Queta looks like an absolute monster. This draft is going to have a lot of really good players in it.

Hopefully lots of 5 ‘ 10 “ guards !

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2021, 05:59:31 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Hopefully lots of 5 ‘ 10 “ guards !

All the guys I've liked so far aren't even on any mock drafts. This tells you a lot about my talent evaluation and how deep this draft is going to be. I don't think the 5'10" guy gets a look in this one even by Danny.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 08:34:04 PM by liam »

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2021, 08:39:25 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I too suffered from some draft hangover after last year. It doesn't help that COVID has really made it hard to have a fair playing field in evaluating prospects.

A few of my favourites from earlier in the process have shot up the rankings. I wanted us to take someone like Davion Mitchell or Josh Giddey with our 1st rounder in late 2020, but now they're likely heading closer to the lottery than I anticipated.

There are a few interesting targets in the first who fit that versatile forward spot that we might be interested. Franz Wagner and Usman Garuba are two very different prospects in that range.

In the second I have quite a few binkies. Luka Garza has been a favourite of mine forever.
Herb Jones is a 6'8" forward who won SEC POY and SEC DPOY, as well as being on the SEC All-Defensive team twice. He actually started shooting a tiny bit in his senior year, but at this stage he's not much of a shooter.
I love Day'Ron Sharpe too. Genuinely elite rebounder, (22 rebounds per 100 possessions) strong as an ox, didn't get much playing time as a UNC freshman but I think he has Andrew Bynum-like potential.

There a heap more guys I've thought about, but I don't think I'll get genuinely excited for a bit. The loss of Terrence Clarke really took the wind out of my sails
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2021, 10:29:34 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
I too suffered from some draft hangover after last year. It doesn't help that COVID has really made it hard to have a fair playing field in evaluating prospects.

A few of my favourites from earlier in the process have shot up the rankings. I wanted us to take someone like Davion Mitchell or Josh Giddey with our 1st rounder in late 2020, but now they're likely heading closer to the lottery than I anticipated.

There are a few interesting targets in the first who fit that versatile forward spot that we might be interested. Franz Wagner and Usman Garuba are two very different prospects in that range.

In the second I have quite a few binkies. Luka Garza has been a favourite of mine forever.
Herb Jones is a 6'8" forward who won SEC POY and SEC DPOY, as well as being on the SEC All-Defensive team twice. He actually started shooting a tiny bit in his senior year, but at this stage he's not much of a shooter.
I love Day'Ron Sharpe too. Genuinely elite rebounder, (22 rebounds per 100 possessions) strong as an ox, didn't get much playing time as a UNC freshman but I think he has Andrew Bynum-like potential.

There a heap more guys I've thought about, but I don't think I'll get genuinely excited for a bit. The loss of Terrence Clarke really took the wind out of my sails

I'd like to also think we're closer to the lottery than you anticipated.

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2021, 11:59:20 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I'm high on Garza and Sharpe as well. It's a good draft for a bigman. I also like Neemias Queta.

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2021, 12:06:23 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Either of Wagner or Garuba would be nuts next to Robert in the frontcourt.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2021, 03:14:02 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I'd like to also think we're closer to the lottery than you anticipated.
Ha, yes. Very much so in fact. Still not close enough for any of those guys, but I'm not going to complain about that just yet...

I'm high on Garza and Sharpe as well. It's a good draft for a bigman. I also like Neemias Queta.
Queta is a nice defender. Solid NBA athletic frame and a surprisingly good passer. Hard to gauge where people will go in this draft, just like last one. So much variation in mocks.

Either of Wagner or Garuba would be nuts next to Robert in the frontcourt.
Yeah, I think they'd make for fun lineups. Garuba could be anything from Siakam to Faried with that body-type, and Wagner is that super fun Swisse army knife forward. Would be thrilled with either!

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2021, 07:21:42 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

Herb Jones, is a player I forgot to add to my first list. He is an older prospect who will almost be 23 at the draft and only averaged 11pts per game but filled the stat sheet and looks the part of an NBA wing. As a 6'8 wing he averaged 1.7stl, 1.1blk, 3.3 ast and 6.6 rb in 27mpg. He also was one of the 4 finalist for the National Defensive player of the year award. I can easily see a contender taking him in the late first.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2021, 05:17:52 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Herb Jones, is a player I forgot to add to my first list. He is an older prospect who will almost be 23 at the draft and only averaged 11pts per game but filled the stat sheet and looks the part of an NBA wing. As a 6'8 wing he averaged 1.7stl, 1.1blk, 3.3 ast and 6.6 rb in 27mpg. He also was one of the 4 finalist for the National Defensive player of the year award. I can easily see a contender taking him in the late first.
Yeah, that's basically why I like him. Older, so should be able to adjust quickly to playing role player minutes, and can do a bit of everything. Rebounds, passes, defends, and doesn't need the ball. Only problem is turning the ball over and a lack of shooting, but given he'll likely have way less of the ball in the NBA if he just works on his 3PT shot he should be a useful role player

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2021, 12:08:54 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
A couple thoughts as I research prospects,

Greg Brown, he screams draft board riser. Watching him play it is clear that he has the physical tools to excel in the NBA. He is explosive, with good length, and appears to have the body control to finish around and over defenders. He didn't play a large role for Texas this season and despite starting 24/26 games only averaged 20mpg 9pts 6rb. His stat line at Texas was odd for a young athletic 3/4 in that he shot a lot of 3s (3.5per game) at a decent 33% (50% of his shots where 3PTA) and (2.8 FTA) at 70%. He was very turn over prone at 2.3 per game at .4 ast per game. His projection as a decent 3pt shooting 6'9 ultra athletic combo forward makes him a high ceiling player at a premium position. I could see him developing in the Jerami Grant mold, starting out as a more 3-D wing and then adding more to his offense over time.

Trey Murphy 3,  he is a player I suspect goes mid first to early 2nd. He is a 6'9 wing with a reported 7'+ wingspan who transferred to Virginia from Rice. Whats interesting with Murphy are the reports that he actually grey 4-5" between his junior season in highschool and his time at Rice. Virginia reportedly first looked at him as a 6'4 170 guard passed on him, then made the push to sign him as a transfer. Murphy is a shooter who still looks like he is getting used to his size at Virginia he started 20/25 games averaged 30mpg 11pts 3.4rb. Not great stats for an NBA wing prospect but he did shoot 43% from 3 on 4.8 attempts (37% on 7 attempts the previous season at rice. He is also a great FT shooter 93% at Virginia last season. Gambling a pick on a 6'9 long armed shooting wing is a great use of an asset. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 12:35:20 PM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2021, 02:28:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

1st round pick
Charles Bassey -  reminds me of Capela game.  Long and physical. Not as explosive but mobile/agile enough.  Runs the floor hard.  And unlike Capela, has a working 3 pt shot and 75 percent FT shooter.   Lower level competition.  3 pt shooting has not progressed as hoped.   Has dealt with injuries (leg).   

2nd round pick
Yves Pons -  Kenneth Faried part 2.  With a working/streaky 3 pt shot.  Explosive athlete and very strong defender (defensive player of the year calibre)

If both are taken. Next season lineup

C - Thompson/TL/Bassey/Grant Williams
PF- Tatum/Nesmith/Pons/Grant Williams
SF- Brown/Nesmith/Pons
SG- Smart/Langford
PG - Walker/Pritchard/Yam

Two way
Tacko
Waters

« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 01:01:09 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2021, 03:04:15 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I would like us to buy? 1 or 2 second rounders..  badji diop and sylla are excellent draft and stash prospects..