Author Topic: Turner McDermott vs. Thompson Teague  (Read 9386 times)

Re: Turner McDermott vs. Thompson Teague
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2020, 12:00:59 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Kanter + a 1st >> Thompson
Wanna = Teague

Hayward>>>Nothing
I really got a good laugh at Wanamaker being equal to Teague, and Kanter + a bad pick being much better than a double-double machine. Ludicrous talent assessment
Do you realise that per 36 Kanter is superior to Thompson in pts and rebounds by a good margin. The defense and passing is close by the numbers as well.

Then Wana has some better advanced stats than Teague as well so that is why I called them equal.

For all the hate we are giving Kanter and Wana we are ignoring the #s in regards to Thompson and Teague. Classic, "the grass is greener".
I don't care that a sparingly used bench big has better per36 numbers than a starting big (who had the worst supporting cast in the comp), at all. The defence and passing is also not close at all.

Some advanced metrics having Wana close to Teague is meaningless. Advanced numbers can be twisted to mean anything if you try hard enough. Kanter had a higher PER than Gobert, RWIII had a higher BPM than Vucevic - none of these would be considered equal, would they?
No they would not, but when you compare bench player to bench player not starter to bench player they do compare.
So a bench player in Kanter is not comparable to a starter in Thompson? You've just undone half of your very own point
Drummond and Love are the starters. Thompson was almost bought out.
Thompson started 89% of games in 2019-20, and 93% of games in 2018-19. What are you talking about?
I'm talking about bringing in Drummond and then the contract buy out negotiations. Thompson was on the way out even on a bad team. Its like Kanter on the Knicks.

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2020, 12:01:56 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
  TT isn’t some world beater but he should start over Theis, which is something Kanter couldn’t do.

I don’t see him starting over Theis.
Especially with how much Brad values system knowledge.

I'd like to start both while Langford is injured.

I think its going to be a case of Theis starting when we want to go small ball which would be the default and Tristan would be the guy when we go up against the Embiids of the world. And obviously we also have the two Williamses to plug in there.
Nah, Theis will start because of system knowledge and because he was a part of a very successful starting five for Boston. Once Thompson gets up to speed, yeah, I could then see situational starts or taking over the starting job.

As a whole I love our bigs
Theis
Thompson
Timelord.
Grant
And if course, whichever of Brown or Tatum is playing the 4 when the team goes small.

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2020, 06:30:43 AM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
Teague > McDermott, especially considering our need

I still think Turner >Thompson, Turner can potentially step up his game further by changing a system.

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2020, 02:53:29 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
J. Michael Falgoust: Myles Turner on being on the trading block in a deal that could’ve sent him to #Celtics: “In the past you hear your name here and there…. (There was) clear cut communication with the front office, another thing was huge. They called me and told me ahead of time.” #Pacers 1 hour ago – via Twitter ThisIsJMichael

Not sure how I would feel If I was Turner... 

Maybe he even wanted to join the Celtics

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2020, 03:21:16 PM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
Thompson > Turner by a landslide.

McDermott = Teague, maybe? I don't watch enough Pacers game to know...I know Teague back in his Hawks days was pretty solid.
Yeah this.  TP on ya.  Turner might be better for us offensively, but if Kemba/JT/JB and our young shooters can't score buckets in crunch time we have way bigger problems than the offense we get from the 5-spot on our hands.  Honestly I don't think Turner would be a big upgrade over Theis.  TT is just better for what we need.

McDermott?  I dunno.  He is basically just a spot-up three-point shooter.  Not sure that Nesmith doesn't give us that.  Teague and TT fill needs.  Turner and McBuckets would have been very redundant and left us with significant holes.  And they would have killed our cap.

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2020, 03:38:43 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Let’s revisit this one after the AS break

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2020, 03:49:14 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
In fairness, we probably would have signed Teague anyway.  And we would have bumped somebody off our now fill roster, presumably Green.

So, it’s more like:

Turner + McDermott + Teague vs. Thompson + Green + Teague

I would definitely take the first team, particularly if we would have squeezed in under the luxury tax.  I think Turner is significantly better as an interior defender.

Right now, the only real positive is the monetary savings, but since we’re below the tax line either way, it only really matters to Wyc.

If we’re judging the outcomes just as they effect this season, I think we’re worse off.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2020, 03:59:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think I'd rather have Thompson than Turner, especially with the championship experience.

Thompson is a guy who should be able to match up with Bam but also stay on the floor if the opponent goes small.

Turner is a better shot blocker  and can shoot, but he's slight.  Also, I don't think he's as good at the little things that Brad cares about a lot, e.g. screening, dribble handoffs, passing, etc.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2020, 04:05:43 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I think I'd rather have Thompson than Turner, especially with the championship experience.

Thompson is a guy who should be able to match up with Bam but also stay on the floor if the opponent goes small.

Turner is a better shot blocker  and can shoot, but he's slight.  Also, I don't think he's as good at the little things that Brad cares about a lot, e.g. screening, dribble handoffs, passing, etc.

These stats scared me about Thompson:

And again, [Turner’s] interior defense is elite. Teams shot just 51 percent inside of six feet when being defended by Turner last season, per NBA.com, which is an elite mark and just three ticks off Rudy Gobert's 48-percent clip.

Thompson, meanwhile, gave up a bucket 56 percent of the time inside six feet each of the last two seasons, and he gave up a 66-percent clip in 2017-18. He's a big body and feels like more of a bruiser, but he's also two inches shorter than Turner and, again, can't shoot. The Celtics are, pretty simply, a worse team with Thompson than they would've been with Turner, and this is to say nothing of losing Hayward.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/gordon-hayward-myles-turner-and-the-celtics-failed-sign-and-trade-that-could-end-up-being-a-big-mistake/

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2020, 04:05:55 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
is there one this season?  ??? no great loss if there isnt.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2020, 04:08:43 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
is there one this season?  ??? no great loss if there isnt.
There is but with the festivities TBD. Possibly virtual

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2020, 04:11:04 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

And again, [Turner’s] interior defense is elite. Teams shot just 51 percent inside of six feet when being defended by Turner last season, per NBA.com, which is an elite mark and just three ticks off Rudy Gobert's 48-percent clip.

Thompson, meanwhile, gave up a bucket 56 percent of the time inside six feet each of the last two seasons, and he gave up a 66-percent clip in 2017-18. He's a big body and feels like more of a bruiser, but he's also two inches shorter than Turner and, again, can't shoot. The Celtics are, pretty simply, a worse team with Thompson than they would've been with Turner, and this is to say nothing of losing Hayward.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/gordon-hayward-myles-turner-and-the-celtics-failed-sign-and-trade-that-could-end-up-being-a-big-mistake/
Thompson has been able to play championship defense only for a couple of seasons and mostly with the help of lebrons court presence. Let’s hope that Brad can get the best defense out of him otherwise this Hayward’s negotiations would be a clear failure

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2020, 04:13:27 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If rumors about a 1st being included in the IND deal are true, then I agree that Turner/1st, along with Teague is better. I would have been interested in possibly dealing McDermott along with a 2nd to ensure we cleared enough space to get under the tax (we sent two 2nds for the TPE). We then could have had a partial MLE to work with or another vet min - which is about what McDermott is worth anyway.

I am certainly not upset at how things worked out. I genuinely believe that Thompson will be as effective for us as Turner, but that additional 1st would have been nice. It'll be interesting to see how we use the TPE. Of course Aaron Gordon is the prize, but I'd even be fine with someone like Justise Winslow (would also keep us under the tax). I just don't want to give up major assets to use the TP on a non-star.

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2020, 04:17:34 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

If the Celtics could get Turner, then wouldn't Tatum, Brown and Smart push Anige to do so? Considering they've played in Team USA a year ago? I mean even during the Olympics, Popovic played Brown at center for times rather than Turner.

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2020, 04:26:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

If the Celtics could get Turner, then wouldn't Tatum, Brown and Smart push Anige to do so? Considering they've played in Team USA a year ago? I mean even during the Olympics, Popovic played Brown at center for times rather than Turner.

We have no idea what the players advocated.  Also, the Team USA thing is a bit irrelevant.  I think Pops would have played Brown over Thompson, too.  It’s a whole different game in international competition.