Author Topic: Coronavirus Concerns  (Read 564568 times)

Re: Coronavirus Concerns
« Reply #6495 on: December 02, 2021, 11:23:02 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 500
Numbers are starting to get really high in MA again. Almost 5K new cases yesterday... How we donít have a mask mandate is beyond me. Itís also disconcerting that more than 1/3 of hospitalized patients in MA are fully vaccinated..

Newly reported cases: 4,838
Total confirmed cases: 860,280
Newly reported deaths: 25

Total confirmed deaths: 19,016
Newly reported tests: 121,485
Total tests: 33,563,649
Percent positivity (seven-day average): 5.14%
Hospitalized patients: 957
Hospitalized patients who are fully vaccinated: 355
ICU patients: 204
Intubated patients: 104

Not surprising.  The quoted effectivity numbers are best case.  Over time the effectivity degraded significantly which is why they're pushing booster shots now.  The vaccines were also made for the earlier versions of the virus so it wouldn't be as effective against mutations. 
Memphis Grizzlies

PG:  Damian Lillard, Devonte' Graham, Delon Wright
SG:  Shai-Gilgeous Alexander, Danny Green
SF:  Mikal Bridges, Bojan Bogdanovic
PF:  Julius Randle, Miles Bridges, Blake Griffin
C:   Karl-Anthony Towns, Al Horford, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #6496 on: December 02, 2021, 11:25:55 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8528
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Numbers are starting to get really high in MA again. Almost 5K new cases yesterday... How we donít have a mask mandate is beyond me. Itís also disconcerting that more than 1/3 of hospitalized patients in MA are fully vaccinated..

I just really don't think anyone cares anymore which is frustrating but the truth. You go around and there's not many people wearing masks anymore (and yes, I include those that have a mask but have it down to their chins/neck in this) including in stores and public transportation, and I think people are also becoming tired of having to tell people every single day to put on a mask in a store if they aren't.

They can definitely enforce mask mandates but most stores still have them in place so unless they enforce it more in outdoor settings too it won't matter. You see football games, etc. with thousands of fans packed and not much mask-wearing.

We'll see what happens as Omicron continues to spread. They found evidence of the first U.S. case in California but it's definitely been here in the U.S. for some time now. Makes getting the booster shot in the next month or two very important.
Hate this

« Reply #6497 on: December 02, 2021, 11:41:05 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -26786
  • Once A CrotoNat, Always A CrotoNat

I just really don't think anyone cares anymore which is frustrating but the truth. You go around and there's not many people wearing masks anymore (and yes, I include those that have a mask but have it down to their chins/neck in this) including in stores and public transportation, and I think people are also becoming tired of having to tell people every single day to put on a mask in a store if they aren't.

They can definitely enforce mask mandates but most stores still have them in place so unless they enforce it more in outdoor settings too it won't matter. You see football games, etc. with thousands of fans packed and not much mask-wearing.

We'll see what happens as Omicron continues to spread. They found evidence of the first U.S. case in California but it's definitely been here in the U.S. for some time now. Makes getting the booster shot in the next month or two very important.
Hate this

Huge pet peeve.

Worse?  Any time I see a politician without a mask.  We expect it from the Trumpers, but not the Bidens, Pelosis, etc.  One picture just totally undermines the message and sets off a narrative of "do as I say, not as I do".

That's from 4 days ago!  How can this happen?  Doesn't the President have handlers to make sure he follows his own message?  And this was after Omicron.  It just makes it very easy for opponents to start making "rules for thee, not for me" memes.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 11:49:36 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHERóóó AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6498 on: December 02, 2021, 02:19:00 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 183
Coronavirus will never go away folks..just like the flu, itís here to stay..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #6499 on: December 02, 2021, 02:24:46 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1606
  • On To Banner 18!

Hate this

Yeah like I'll do it on some occasions if there's no one around me at all. But near people or in a crowded area I'll have it up.

Problem is, nowadays people just walk in or use public transportation but keep it down the entire time. Like, what's the point of even wearing the mask then? But then again, maybe now we have to specify, "mask mandate with masks up" just having a mask on your chin isn't sufficient lol
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #6500 on: December 02, 2021, 02:28:42 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166

Hate this

I do too, but it looks like the guy in this picture is outside, isn't he?

« Reply #6501 on: December 02, 2021, 03:00:55 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 500

Hate this

Yes it does and I don't see anybody around him either. 
Memphis Grizzlies

PG:  Damian Lillard, Devonte' Graham, Delon Wright
SG:  Shai-Gilgeous Alexander, Danny Green
SF:  Mikal Bridges, Bojan Bogdanovic
PF:  Julius Randle, Miles Bridges, Blake Griffin
C:   Karl-Anthony Towns, Al Horford, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #6502 on: December 02, 2021, 03:51:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8528
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Hate this

My god it was just an example of someone wearing a face mask around their chin to show my distaste for it. Did I really need to make sure the example was of a person indoors with people around them to illustrate the example.

« Reply #6503 on: December 02, 2021, 04:04:24 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 2048
Coronavirus will never go away folks..just like the flu, itís here to stay..

OK -- but I don't think we can precisely predict the impact moving forward.

1. Maybe vaccines become more effective
2. Maybe early diagnostics become more accurate and readily available
3. Maybe treatments at early AND more advanced stages become more effective
4. Maybe more people will agree that taking the vaccine is something we should all do
5. Maybe more people will agree that masking and distancing are important when spread is high

Covid probably will be a part of our live in the future, but it won't necessarily have the same impact.

« Reply #6504 on: December 02, 2021, 04:06:30 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 191
My in-laws are visiting from France and they're pretty amazed how relaxed the masks rules are here (in MASSACHUSETTS). I understand their point of view because apparently everywhere needs masks over there, so they're surprised at Home Depot and grocery stores, maybe 20-25% of people wear masks.

We went to a trampoline park for my son's friend's birthday party and even there, where most of the kids are not fully vaccinated, it's optional to wear masks. My son got his second shot yesterday and even though both kids are great at wearing masks (my son would wear a mask when playing soccer even when we told him he doesn't have to) but I think yesterday was the first time he talked about not wearing mask anymore. I think he's hanging tough but it's getting to be too much even for him, which I completely understand.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #6505 on: December 02, 2021, 04:12:49 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 2048

Hate this

Yeah like I'll do it on some occasions if there's no one around me at all. But near people or in a crowded area I'll have it up.

Problem is, nowadays people just walk in or use public transportation but keep it down the entire time. Like, what's the point of even wearing the mask then? But then again, maybe now we have to specify, "mask mandate with masks up" just having a mask on your chin isn't sufficient lol

Part of the reason I am stuck at home all day every day (but for my walks) is that people just don't wear masks in indoor public places.  Or... they "wear" masks with their nose exposed or mouth and nose exposed.

Thankfully I can earn a living out of my house but my wife is out there exposed every day and is stressed about coming home every day.  As I've mentioned before (sorry to repeat), I am very immune-compromised.  I can't know for sure, but if I get Covid I think there is a reasonable chance I won't survive.  That's scary, and on those very rare occasions that I have to be in a public place I feel a ton of resentment toward the unmasked. 

« Reply #6506 on: December 02, 2021, 04:17:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• Global Moderator
  • Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1237
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I feel like the age of those vaccinated in hospital is critical information to have before being concerned.

« Reply #6507 on: December 02, 2021, 04:18:14 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166

Hate this

My god it was just an example of someone wearing a face mask around their chin to show my distaste for it. Did I really need to make sure the example was of a person indoors with people around them to illustrate the example.

Sorry, wasnít sure what the point you were making was.

I rode public transit for the first time in 21 months yesterday, and despite all the signage and announcements, Iíd say mask compliance was at best 80%.  Ticked me off and I told one person to mask up, but I couldnít tell everyone.

« Reply #6508 on: December 02, 2021, 04:35:48 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 317

Hate this

Well, obviously... :laugh:

« Reply #6509 on: December 02, 2021, 04:37:36 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 1380
  • What a Pub Should Be
The nose poking out one is a pet peeve.  Almost two years later & you still don't know how to wear a mask?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team