Author Topic: Disappointed at Grant Williams game  (Read 12559 times)

Re: Disappointed at Grant Williams game
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2021, 01:43:58 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I don't get the reaction to Grant Williams.  He is an OK bench player.  That is a fine accomplishment for a 22nd pick.  I think some people got their expectations too high for him and now are disappointed.  He is a 6'-6" PF which limits his effective match up opportunities.  He is not Charles Barkley.  I don't see any reason to be disappointed with him.  You just have to accept that he is a decent but limited player on our bench.

In full transparency I believed it was a trash pick right off the start. This is the exact undersized player that danny loves that ultimately equates to a waste.

A waste because everything these guys do,  when they get in the playoffs they get outplayed by guys that can do what they do but they're taller and more talented.

With a few exceptions (R Williams at 27 and KO at 13) DA appears to lean more towards higher ceiling player in the top 20 and high floor players after that. My guess is that he figures his top 20 picks are a chance to land a difference making high value player and ever pick after that the hope is they are not a wasted roster spot. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2021, 09:39:05 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I disagree he drafts anyone undersized for their position and scrappy hustle guys.

Imo it's lazy drafting. He'd rather take a guy that does a lot of things even at just an average level than a guy that does one thing really great.

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2021, 08:12:37 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
It doesn't look like Grant Williams is an NBA player and I don't really see much upside in his game.
He's really unproductive and basically is just on the court doing nothing.

However Grant is leading the NBA in fouls (players playing > 200 mins)!

Grant Williams is averaging 6.3 fouls per 36 minutes and is leading the league.
Thompson and Theis are also in the top 35.

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2021, 08:36:15 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
He is a 3rd string player until he develops a jump-shot.

It is not his fault or CBS' fault that this lousy roster is forcing Grant Williams to play so many minutes. Ainge needs to get some quality depth (TPE trade) at SG-SF-PF to fix this problem.

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2021, 09:36:48 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
That was a rough game from him last night. 
Yup

« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2021, 09:52:43 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

It is not his fault or CBS' fault that this lousy roster is forcing Grant Williams to play so many minutes. Ainge needs to get some quality depth (TPE trade) at SG-SF-PF to fix this problem.

So he’s playing poorly because the coach is giving him 19 mins a game? I don’t think it has anything to do with the roster/mins that he’s playing. He’s undersized, lacks athleticism and is just not a very good basketball player. I don’t see this changing.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2021, 10:03:05 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

So he’s playing poorly because the coach is giving him 19 mins a game? I don’t think it has anything to do with the roster/mins that he’s playing. He’s undersized, lacks athleticism and is just not a very good basketball player. I don’t see this changing.
No, that is not what I said.

What I said was that Grant Williams does not deserve to play 19mpg. That he is a 3rd string quality player at this junction in his career. That he is playing 19mpg is not an indictment on him, nor on CBS but instead on Danny Ainge who built a team with deficient quality depth at three positions SG-SF-PF.

And of course, this 3rd string level performances all change if Grant Williams can develop his perimeter jump-shot in the future. At that point he can be a useful rotation player (backup PF/C). But that is not where he is today.

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2021, 10:35:00 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

What I said was that Grant Williams does not deserve to play 19mpg. That he is a 3rd string quality player at this junction in his career. That he is playing 19mpg is not an indictment on him, nor on CBS but instead on Danny Ainge who built a team with deficient quality depth at three positions SG-SF-PF.

And of course, this 3rd string level performances all change if Grant Williams can develop his perimeter jump-shot in the future. At that point he can be a useful rotation player (backup PF/C). But that is not where he is today.
I agree. Grant is best as a 10MPG kind of guy. Comes in for foul trouble and garbage time. In the meantime, develop his offensive game. I actually like the way he plays defence when he's given the right match-ups. But his offensive skills (low-post scoring, mid-range post-ups) are not useful for this offence at all.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2021, 10:36:02 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
It is concerning that Stevens, who showed a great capacity to develop down roster talent early, has been failing since Jaylen and Jayson started emerging as stars. They just aren't getting anyone else to show persistent improvement.

Regardless of his talent level, Grant Williams should show some improvement, and he has shown zero.

We've had three bench players show promise/growth this year as supporting offensive players: Pritchard, Ojeleye, and Robert Williams. Stevens needs to feed that success, not ignore it. Walker has been back without Tatum, so adding his shots shouldn't be the problem, but their roles and shot counts have fallen apart since Walker returned. Stevens has to foster their development and make sure they are part of the offensive flow so they continue to develop.

We need some of these guys to become reliable. We have Walker, Smart and Teague soaking up all of what is left after Jaylen and Jayson get theirs. The team needs to make sure some of these other players get shots and have roles they can depend on to develop. No one is doing that, and it is killing the team's bench development. I like Javonte Green, but why just start playing him if you also need space to develop Pritchard and Ojeleye, and they deserve it more.

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2021, 10:47:36 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

He’s shooting 36% from 3pt which is right around league average. We don’t need scoring out of him when you have Tatum, Brown, Walker and Smart out there. Need defense, rebounding and for him to hit an occasional outside shot. With his physical limitations he’s only capable of doing one of those things, as he occasionally hits a 3.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2021, 10:54:23 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
I can't stand the fact that we're sitting here in disappointment in (insert young players name here) when we could be worrying about real issues like real contenders do.

Instead it's which kid is going to fall apart next and when....yay!

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2021, 02:08:35 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I can't stand the fact that we're sitting here in disappointment in (insert young players name here) when we could be worrying about real issues like real contenders do.

Ainge decided to keep his draft picks, so now some of them have to blossom. Luckily Brown and Tatum are still young, so there's time. We need a couple of starters/rotation players from the group (R.Williams, Langford, G.Williams, Edwards, Nesmith, Pritchard) of youngsters we have drafted, so development is key to this team.

Otherwise we'll have to conclude that it has been a mistake to hold on to all those picks and it will become hard to build a sufficient supporting cast around Brown and Tatum. I have faith in Robert Williams and Pritchard. It would be nice if either Langford or Nesmith can become a playoff rotation wing player. I have given up on Edwards and Grant Williams, they're barely NBA players.

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2021, 02:35:23 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

Ainge decided to keep his draft picks, so now some of them have to blossom. Luckily Brown and Tatum are still young, so there's time. We need a couple of starters/rotation players from the group (R.Williams, Langford, G.Williams, Edwards, Nesmith, Pritchard) of youngsters we have drafted, so development is key to this team.

Otherwise we'll have to conclude that it has been a mistake to hold on to all those picks and it will become hard to build a sufficient supporting cast around Brown and Tatum. I have faith in Robert Williams and Pritchard. It would be nice if either Langford or Nesmith can become a playoff rotation wing player. I have given up on Edwards and Grant Williams, they're barely NBA players.

It seems like Langford and RWIII are the most likely of the bunch to become legit players. Nesmith is a total question mark, and Pritchard seems like he'll be a nice bench sparkplug on a good team.

I agree that Grant has to improve drastically or else he might find himself struggling to find a second contract (and minutes on the Celtics).

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2021, 02:42:43 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
Good luck with the wait. But I'll tell ya right now we'll find out who these guys are when they're playing somewhere else.

What a waste...

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2021, 02:59:37 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
The frustrating thing about Grant is that we're only a few months removed from him being pretty solid in the playoffs. 

Last year, he looked like a solid defender despite his lack of athleticism.  Strong, undersized but good at making taller players play through his chest, just quick enough to be switchable.  Jumpshot started out as a horror show but he actually finished the season and playoffs very well.  Basically a PJ Tucker starter kit.

This year the jumpshot is okay-ish, but he has lost his ability to defend anybody.  And I don't know why.  It looks like his positioning has completely abandoned him and he's constantly a step behind the play now.  And a player with his limited physical tools just can't afford to be behind on anything.