Author Topic: would you trade both Marcus's and the MEM pick for Aaron Gordon?  (Read 8930 times)

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Let's say it's getting close to the trade deadline and Danny thinks the team needs to bolster the front court. Does he consider a quantity for quality trade such as this? Orlando likes Gordon, but start to really like Isaac. They need a point guard and wouldn't mind getting an expiring and a lottery pick in return as well. Boston throws in Yabusele to make the salaries work, so it would be..

ORL gets: Marcus Smart, Marcus Morris, Guerschon Yabusele, MEM pick (probably falls between 9-14)
BOS gets: Aaron Gordon

Celtics roll in to the playoffs with an unreal 8 man rotation of Irving, Hayward, Horford, Gordon, Tatum, Brown, Rozier, Baynes..

Remember that Gordon is one of the better and more versatile defenders in the league and isn't even 23 yet. Reasonable contract for a player of his caliber.

Would you do this? Would Boston need to sweeten the pot?

Re: would you trade both Marcus's and the MEM pick for Aaron Gordon?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 12:55:48 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
I probably wouldn't although I'm a fan of Gordon.

Young, athletic wing/swing player who is good defensively....  Am I describing Tatum, Brown, or Gordon?

Although it would be an overall talent upgrade over the Marcus tandem, I think you do Tatum Brown and Gordon a disservice by splitting those minutes up even more (without even accounting for Hayward)  Although Morris is sort of redundant with those guys, Smart gives you a good backup PG who sets a good example with his play.  In this hypothetical, which guy sits?

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 12:57:32 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
I'm not against moving Morris with some spare parts and maybe a pick to get a talent upgrade somewhere though.  Maybe someone in the mold of Reddick or Korver who can give you another dynamic off the bench.

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 01:47:02 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
Let's say it's getting close to the trade deadline and Danny thinks the team needs to bolster the front court. Does he consider a quantity for quality trade such as this? Orlando likes Gordon, but start to really like Isaac. They need a point guard and wouldn't mind getting an expiring and a lottery pick in return as well. Boston throws in Yabusele to make the salaries work, so it would be..

ORL gets: Marcus Smart, Marcus Morris, Guerschon Yabusele, MEM pick (probably falls between 9-14)

Celtics roll in to the playoffs with an unreal 8 man rotation of Irving, Hayward, Horford, Gordon, Tatum, Brown, Rozier, Baynes..

Remember that Gordon is one of the better and more versatile defenders in the league and isn't even 23 yet. Reasonable contract for a player of his caliber.

I'm not touching this deal strictly for two reason.  One we don't know if Irving is staying after this year.  So Smart is locked up and could be a starting point guard if Irving and Rozier leave.  Two we don't really have a spot for him completely.  He's not going to start over Hayward or Tatum.  So I'd say no for this two big reason.  Plus I rather keep the Memphis pick and use that and our pick or Clippers pick to get another high pick this year or move back to another draft.

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 01:58:57 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
No

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 02:04:51 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Hell no!

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 02:07:29 PM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
I like Aaron Gordon, but I wouldn't trade Marcus smart for him straight up. Not because I think smart is a better player - I don't - but he fits our team better.

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 02:32:51 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

I'm not touching this deal strictly for two reason.  One we don't know if Irving is staying after this year.  So Smart is locked up and could be a starting point guard if Irving and Rozier leave.  Two we don't really have a spot for him completely.  He's not going to start over Hayward or Tatum.  So I'd say no for this two big reason.  Plus I rather keep the Memphis pick and use that and our pick or Clippers pick to get another high pick this year or move back to another draft.

In a vacuum, I think it's a smart deal but I agree with Celtics978Fan. The fit with Smart is a little smoother and the trade either means disrupting the starting lineup they have now or having a $21 mil a year bench player. It's tough.

It's definitely a talent upgrade but I'm not sure its the right move from team-building standpoint.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 03:12:45 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Once he increases his strength (with age and strength training) Gordon will be an ideal small ball 5, but regardless of what's on the table this upcoming season, you have to allow this roster to build chemistry and grow together.

Marcus is a crucial part of the identity the C's want. Unless there's a prolonged slump during the season, you let this roster ride out intact this season. The weaknesses will appear during the playoffs and, if necessary,  addressed in the offseason.

Side note, I'm surprised that teams weren't lining up to s/t for AG, he'd be a great 3rd option on offense with the potential to be a lockdown small ball 5.

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 03:35:37 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
TP for an interesting question, but I’m a no for the reasons given above. 

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 03:41:15 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Yes. It's a deal where you get the better player.

Also, Gordon's contract is sweet:

2018-9 21.5 mill
2019-20 19.8 mill
2020-21 18.1 mill
2021-22 16.4 mill

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/orlando-magic/aaron-gordon-15356/

Tbh, I think the deal makes little sense for Orlando. Smart and a pick of medium value don't help enough a rebuilding team. Morris is a one year rental and Yabushele an unlikely bet.

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 04:17:44 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Yes. It's a deal where you get the better player.

Also, Gordon's contract is sweet:

2018-9 21.5 mill
2019-20 19.8 mill
2020-21 18.1 mill
2021-22 16.4 mill

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/orlando-magic/aaron-gordon-15356/

Tbh, I think the deal makes little sense for Orlando. Smart and a pick of medium value don't help enough a rebuilding team. Morris is a one year rental and Yabushele an unlikely bet.

Oh wow, I didn't realize his deal was declining like that. That's actually very appealing.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2018, 05:06:22 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
It would be a big roster shakeup, and for that reason I don't know if I would do it. I think the current roster as is has a good chance at a championship. But the idea of starting Gordon at the 4 and bringing Hayward off the bench as the sixth man is very appealing to me.

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2018, 05:18:59 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224

I agree to some extent that retaining smart is smart in case kyrie and Terry leave - team needs a point guard, and it’s a very weak draft and free agency class for point guards.

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2018, 05:56:10 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
let me think about this for a second..umm No.